FTA-TV ESPN's 30 for 30 doco's

Remove this Banner Ad

Covers all sports so just thought i'd stick it here.

Best series of sports movies/doco's i've ever seen.
Last night's was " STRAIGHT OUTTA LA " by Ice Cube about the LA Raiders/Gansta rap connection.

Other notables include -

"King's Ransom" Peter Berg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_for_30#cite_note-ransom_ratings2-3
(2009-10-06)
The 1988 trade of Wayne Gretzky from the Edmonton Oilers to the Los Angeles Kings and the effect it had on both Gretzky and Edmonton.

"Muhammad and Larry" Albert Maysles
(2009-10-27)
A look at the October 1980 Muhammad Ali-Larry Holmes fight and its impact, featuring fresh interviews with participants and previously unseen lead-up footage from both fighters' camps.

"Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks" Dan Klores
(2010-03-14)
The impact of Reggie Miller on the New York Knicks in the 1990s, specifically focusing on the 1995 NBA Playoffs and Miller's interaction with Knicks fan Spike Lee.

"The Birth of Big Air" Jeff Tremaine, Johnny Knoxville, and Spike Jonze
(2010-07-29)
The life of Mat Hoffman and his career, since 1985, of advancing, both creatively and promotionally, BMX riding.

Yep have watched a few of these already. Watched Straight Outta LA, Winning Time, Without Bias, Guru Of Go and No Crossover The Trial Of Allen Iverson.

Very impressive.

Escobar vs Escobar was one of the better doco's I've seen in recent memory.

Would love to have seen the Len Bias one.

i thought "the U" was the best, and the Jimmy the greek one was interesting same with the band that wouldnt die. i didnt like the Ali one. the Bias one was interesting, ive only watched the first 7 have most on IQ2

Yup, Two of my greatest passions together (sport and documentry) concieved by one of my heroes, the sports guy, Mr Bill Simmons.

It just does not get any better.

Try to watch em in HD if you can. Most are out on dvd already in the states, I'm waiting for the bluray collection.

You can get the '30 for 30' podcast on itunes, hosted by bill and covers one on one with the film makers. While you're at it, try the B.S report with Bill Simmons:thumbsu:

the one they had on OJ was unbelievably well done too

was about the few days leading upto his now famous bronco run. no naration at all - but featured live to air tv of what each network ran with

Seen the first two episodes and the Reggie Miller one. All awesome.
Wish we had sport docos like that. Was disapointed by the first half of the Cousins doco last night.

Just finished watching " THE HOUSE OF STEINBRENNER "
Brilliant...very moving.

This week -
Four Days In October"

The story of the Boston Red Sox coming back from a 3-0 deficit to defeat the New York Yankees in the 2004 ALCS.

The doco that was just BEGGING to be made !!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched Once Brothers last night, the story of Vlade Divac & Drazen Petrovic. It was one of the best 30 for 30's I have seen, very moving.

Seen the first two episodes and the Reggie Miller one. All awesome.
Wish we had sport docos like that. Was disapointed by the first half of the Cousins doco last night.

Australia used to. In the 1980's or maybe early 1990's channel 9 had a show called 'Sports Sunday' and it was a doco or magazine style show. It started at 4pm and went for an hour IIRC.

Trying to think of an Aussie Rules story that would have been 30 For 30 worthy and perhaps one on Jason McCartney would be the best.

That Headliners show that used to be on Fox Footy was probably the closest we've had to this.

Wonder if those eps are still available anywhere.

Trying to think of an Aussie Rules story that would have been 30 For 30 worthy and perhaps one on Jason McCartney would be the best.

the demise of Fitzroy
Ted Whitten and SOO
expansion into NSW/QLD

there would be loads.

The Rise and Rise of the Hawthorn Football Club
Shane Crawford - What a star
You Buddy Beauty
Delicious - The story of Cyril Rioli, so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Back