Essendon 2014 offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure - if your name is Jamie Oliver then you are Jamie Oliver. Not sure how having a sandwich stops you from being you.

Hang on - you do know who you are? You do get confused a lot.

Would love to see some posts from you in 2011, 2012 and 2013 where you predicted so accurately.

Although, join date: May 2013

hm.. something smells fishy here.

An essendon mate had Mufassa shut down after the Saker winning goal game last year. The mods told me to start a new account. I make no secret that was my account - its not an alias - its an old account.

As an ex moderator bud, said account has had a number of alias'. Your posting history is well known too all Essendon supporters on this site and others

As an ex moderator bud, said account has had a number of alias'. Your posting history is well known too all Essendon supporters on this site and others

Rubbish. You can't have an alias without having it shut down. Especially if you have board bans. I tried to start a new one and it was shut down - until I sent a message via Lance to a mod who allowed this account. KA - to mufassa to WB - they never over lap with posting.

Read my post again - like Bris you have recently lost a lot of 1st round draft picks - Gumby, Ryder, Monfries, 2013 and 2014. Kav did stay as there was little interest. He looks like a bust. Losing your 1st rounders will hurt any club. By march when I do my ladder prediction you will know just how much.
1st rounders matter less than a good overall draft.

Esp in this era.
So we didn't draft a kid in the first rd last year. We will get two this year (arguably a deeper pool of talent) and it cost us Ryder overall.
But we have landed Giles and Cooney.

In recent years, we've landed some gems outside the first rd (Hooker in the 4th, Bellchambers and Hibberd outside the national draft).
Given the make up of our list, the kids we have coming through are enough.
Aylett, Edwards, Fantasia, Gleeson, Kavanagh, Dalgleish, Jackson Merrett, even Melksham are having a hard enough time breaking into the squad.
Our best 22 is capable of challenging with a bit of consistency. Our missing element is the forward line scoring more. If we can start cracking the 100pt mark every game, we are a decent chance to beat most teams.

1st rounders matter less than a good overall draft.

Esp in this era.
So we didn't draft a kid in the first rd last year. We will get two this year (arguably a deeper pool of talent) and it cost us Ryder overall.
But we have landed Giles and Cooney.

In recent years, we've landed some gems outside the first rd (Hooker in the 4th, Bellchambers and Hibberd outside the national draft).
Given the make up of our list, the kids we have coming through are enough.
Aylett, Edwards, Fantasia, Gleeson, Kavanagh, Dalgleish, Jackson Merrett, even Melksham are having a hard enough time breaking into the squad.
Our best 22 is capable of challenging with a bit of consistency. Our missing element is the forward line scoring more. If we can start cracking the 100pt mark every game, we are a decent chance to beat most teams.

Decent chance? Only 5 teams lost after kicking 100 points this year.

I rated you 11th best in 2012, 7th best in 2013 and 8th best in 2014.

Perfect, Perfect and 1 off. Disappointed in missing the 3 peat this year - I blame Bryce Gibbs.

Watch for my 2015 ladder - it may save some heartache knowing in advance.

I predicted geelong 07, hawks 08, geel 09, coll 10, geel 11, swans 12 etc.

That's how easy it is too make absolute s**t up.
Take your vendetta to the bay whilst we have a legitimate off season discussion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read my post. I'd like you to **** off to bay 13 so other neutral fans can comment on our offseason without being a stupid troll. Take your vendetta elsewhere
You want to talk off season?

Sure - you lost your best ruck and he takes 20 goals out of any already dysfunctional forward line. Essendon KPP stocks look fantastic but they are all backmen except for Daniher. Carlilse really battled as a forward and only produced 2 quality games - 1 was against the under sized backline of the dogs. He is a better backmen and will be interesting to see if hird flips him as that was his thinking before he was banned. Anbrose competes but that is where it ends - few touches and goals. Ryder looked like the best forward when he played there.

Hooker had a great year, Hurley solid and Fletcher having Father Time starting to catch up on him. Steinberg is a while off.

Midfield is good at the top end but has little support - when we got running in the final the 2nd tier mids were exposed. Watson and Goddard may have seen their best football but Heppell is taking up where they drop off. Zaka is great with ball in hand and going forward but does little the other way. Stanton should be pushed out if best 22 next year - his final was disgusting. Cooney and Stanton maybe fighting for a spot at years end. Myer was better this year but still not justifying his early draft pick. Melksham went back at a rate of knots and ended up a VFL standard player. Colyer and Merrett went past him and had good years. Colyer adds pace but still prone to the odd shank. Merrett solid and a good pick up after losing picks last year.

Bellchambers hurt his ankle in the pre season and had a woeful year. He needs a big pre season with the number 1 ruck walking out. Giles will be an ok back up and will be close to keeping tbc in the twos.

So with arguably a top 5 most important playing your off season has been interesting.

Cooney may push Stanton out late and Gleeson early.
Giles v TBC will be close.
Gwilt is back up for the resting fletcher - he won't play in front of Baugley, Hibberd, Hooker, Hurley.

Don't see the discards making up for a prime Ryder. Age is also against Watson, Goddard, Chapmen, Fletcher, Cooney and Stanton.

I had them 8 this year and won't be so generous in 2015 - as it stands its looking 10-12 but by Feb it could be a lot worse as we don't know what the outcome will be of the other stuff.

Last edited:

Sure - you lost your best ruck and he takes 20 goals out of any already dysfunctional forward line. Essendon KPP stocks look fantastic but they are all backmen except for Daniher. Carlilse really battled as a forward and only produced 2 quality games - 1 was against the under sized backline of the dogs. He is a better backmen and will be interesting to see if hird flips him as that was his thinking before he was banned. Anbrose competes but that is where it ends - few touches and goals. Ryder looked like the best forward when he played there.

Hooker had a great year, Hurley solid and Fletcher having Father Time starting to catch up on him. Steinberg is a while off.

Midfield is good at the top end but has little support - when we got running in the final the 2nd tier mids were exposed. Watson and Goddard may have seen their best football but Heppell is taking up where they drop off. Zaka is great with ball in hand and going forward but does little the other way. Stanton should be pushed out if best 22 next year - his final was disgusting. Cooney and Stanton maybe fighting for a spot at years end. Myer was better this year but still not justifying his early draft pick. Melksham went back at a rate of knots and ended up a VFL standard player. Colyer and Merrett went past him and had good years. Colyer adds pace but still prone to the odd shank. Merrett solid and a good pick up after losing picks last year.

Bellchambers hurt his ankle in the pre season and had a woeful year. He needs a big pre season with the number 1 ruck walking out. Giles will be an ok back up and will be close to keeping tbc in the twos.

So with arguably a top 5 most important playing your off season has been interesting.

Cooney may push Stanton out late and Gleeson early.
Giles v TBC will be close.
Gwilt is back up for the resting fletcher - he won't play in front of Baugley, Hibberd, Hooker, Hurley.

Don't see the discards making up for a prime Ryder. Age is also against Watson, Goddard, Chapmen, Fletcher, Cooney and Stanton.

I had them 8 this year and won't be so generous in 2015 - as it stands its looking 10-12 but by Feb it could be a lot worse as we don't know what the outcome will be of the other stuff.

Not a bad summation.

I personally Stanton will be moved to the wing permanently next season and play a similar role to Gibson at North. Hird tended to favour a long kicking style of game that suits Stanton well imo.

In 2013 Hird favoured Melksham over Myers as a midfielder which resulted in Melksham having a career season and Myers struggling for consistency as the 7th defender.

Expect TBC to get first crack at No. 1 ruck as he is a significantly better tap ruckman.

Expect the club to slim Gwilt down and play him as a permanent fixture in the back 6 with Dempsey/Hibberd pushing up the ground in the games Fletcher plays.

Cooney is a gamble which I personally wouldn't have taken but if he does get back to his 2013 form he is a bloke who has the capability to win a contested ball and break the lines in the same play. Which could be a big addition to our midfield.

Not sure where we will finish but it looks to me like there are a fair few clubs eyeing off a double chance in 2015 behind Hawthorn, Sydney and Port

It is clear to me that you enjoy talking more about the Dons than your own team. Look in your own backyard, because it won't be Essendon sliding next year.

100%, 100% and 1 spot off - just trying to educate. Your welcome.

Can you please try and educate us on stuff we don't already know?

Like, what are your thoughts on Nick O'Brien? How about Jackson Merret? perhaps you could enlighten us to how you think Marty Gleeson will go next year?

It is clear to me that you enjoy talking more about the Dons than your own team. Look in your own backyard, because it won't be Essendon sliding next year.

Go check out the Adam Cooney for pick 37 thread where he was telling Heppellicious that his source was categorically wrong.

I came in, posted not one, but two interviews with Adam Cooney that highlighted exactly what Heppellicious suggested.

Is quite funny shutting someone down that doesn't actually know what they are talking about. They can read and read all they want but if they truly know something they wouldn't get so many things wrong.

Go check out the Adam Cooney for pick 37 thread where he was telling Heppellicious that his source was categorically wrong.

I came in, posted not one, but two interviews with Adam Cooney that highlighted exactly what Heppellicious suggested.

Is quite funny shutting someone down that doesn't actually know what they are talking about. They can read and read all they want but if they truly know something they wouldn't get so many things wrong.
When did Ryder sign his extension?

Half the Cooney stuff was rubbish.

Can you please try and educate us on stuff we don't already know?

Like, what are your thoughts on Nick O'Brien? How about Jackson Merret? perhaps you could enlighten us to how you think Marty Gleeson will go next year?
Won't play a total of 12 games between them. Gleeson has the most potential but IMO Is fighting Cooney for a spot and won't play much. You definitely don't want him in the side if you make finals. Merrett has fallen behind a few but may get a game if you have enough injuries. O'Brien should not be on an afl list - let alone a middle of the road team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back