Essendon 2014 offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Won't play a total of 12 games between them. Gleeson has the most potential but IMO Is fighting Cooney for a spot and won't play much. You definitely don't want him in the side if you make finals. Merrett has fallen behind a few but may get a game if you have enough injuries. O'Brien should not be on an afl list - let alone a middle of the road team.

Oh dear :oops:

where do i start:cool:

Gleesons finals appearance?

How many games from the 3?

When Gleeson was fit, he played (9) whilst Jackson Merrett (14) was a staple in our side and was impacting matches early in the year (2 brownlow votes v Carlton round 3). Nick O'Brien was an emergency the majority of the year so he isn't as far away as you suggest.

When Gleeson was fit, he played (9) whilst Jackson Merrett (14) was a staple in our side and was impacting matches early in the year (2 brownlow votes v Carlton round 3). Nick O'Brien was an emergency the majority of the year so he isn't as far away as you suggest.
So how many games will the 3 play? Merrett played 2 good games in easy wins and not much after that, Gleeson needs a couple more pre seasons to bulk up - he was found out in a hard final. O'Brien got bumped down the order with Cooney joining.

Merrett will play 10+ (Jackson was a big reason in 2 of the wins but what are we expecting?)
Gleeson 10+ (when fit - he has played. He should not have returned in that final. He played 1 game in the VFL the week before returning from a long injury lay off)
O'Brien struggle to 5 (is a long way back and is in the toughest position to crack behind Heppell, Watson, Myers)

This joker is clearly trolling you. He is arguing hypotheticals with no idea about where our list is at. The more you feed it, the more it will grow. Kind of like that fat turd my dog laid this evening.

This joker is clearly trolling you. He is arguing hypotheticals with no idea about where our list is at. The more you feed it, the more it will grow. Kind of like that fat turd my dog laid this evening.

Its kind of entertaining me watching the vitriol coming out though

Giles for Ryder, along with a later pick from GWS (no way they will give you their pick 3) would be a pretty decent outcome for you guys under the circumstances.

Rumours suggest they were willing and able to give up this pick (which became pick 4) for Ryder.

No way is that going to happen. GWS would rather pick up Durdin or Lever as a KPD than trade #3 for Ryder.

Appears to not be the case, GWS were supposedly willing to part with this pick for Ryder.

and according to Emma Quayle, there is a reluctance to be traded to Essendon out there, making their desire for 'established players' problematic.

Four established players came into the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When did we lose Daniher?
Daniher is your best ruckman?
He certainly wasn't your best forward 2011-2013 - the goal kicking awards with "S.Crameri" engraved prove it.

Why has sportsbet got odds on every 1st round game except Essendon v Swans?

They are wondering if the Swans have recovered from the ass violation the Hawks gave them.

Daniher is your best ruckman?
He certainly wasn't your best forward 2011-2013 - the goal kicking awards with "S.Crameri" engraved prove it.

Your quote:

You're hardly in a position to throw stones, losing your best ruckman the year after losing your best forward

You said we lost our best ruckman (ryder) the year after losing our best forward.

Are you suggesting Crameri was our best forward in 2013?

Are you suggesting Crameri was our best forward in 2013?
No, I'm not suggesting it - I'm stating as a matter of fact.
He was your leading goal-kicker with 30 goals.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/2013.html#5

2 more than 2nd placed Bellchambers, despite Bellchambers playing 2 more games.
More disposals and tackles too.

No, I'm not suggesting it - I'm stating as a matter of fact.
He was your leading goal-kicker with 30 goals.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/2013.html#5

2 more than 2nd placed Bellchambers, despite Bellchambers playing 2 more games.
More disposals and tackles too.

You have a funny understanding of facts my friend. Leading goalkicker yes, that's a fact, but best forward? Not a chance in hell.

At the end of 2013 Hurley, Gumbleton, Winderlich were all better forwards than Crameri, and Daniher was more highly regarded (future speak wise).

Now you might think that is revisionist history because he's no longer an Essendon player, I can assure you it is not - you can take my word on that or I'll have to go through old posts to prove it.

He'd still be in our best 22 today I would think (I still think he'd get a go ahead of Ambrose) - but he was not our best forward.

Anyway after much huffing and puffing in the last two years, list changes have been kept to a minimum. Need the third and fourth year players to step up if the team is to progress. I expect 5 to 7 players to be delisted in 2015 and we will hit the draft hard.

You have a funny understanding of facts my friend. Leading goalkicker yes, that's a fact, but best forward? Not a chance in hell.

Wait wait wait.

I was told that Joe Daniher was a top 3 contested mark in the game because he was top 3 for contested marks at one stage this year.

Are you telling me that stats don't work like this?

:) ;)

Hooker had a great year, Hurley solid and Fletcher having Father Time starting to catch up on him. Steinberg is a while off.

Midfield is good at the top end but has little support - when we got running in the final the 2nd tier mids were exposed. Watson and Goddard may have seen their best football but Heppell is taking up where they drop off. Zaka is great with ball in hand and going forward but does little the other way. Stanton should be pushed out if best 22 next year - his final was disgusting. Cooney and Stanton maybe fighting for a spot at years end. Myer was better this year but still not justifying his early draft pick. Melksham went back at a rate of knots and ended up a VFL standard player. Colyer and Merrett went past him and had good years. Colyer adds pace but still prone to the odd shank. Merrett solid and a good pick up after losing picks last year.

Daniher was by far a better forward than Ryder. Just his first 6-8 games were hampered by having to take on some ruck duties which his beanpole frame couldn't take. Another 5kg's this off-season, all around the core, and he will ******* smash some defenders into the ground. Carlisle can't play back, because Hurley is apparently unable to play forward with his wrists, and Hooker is a gun, and they have Fletcher/Pears/Steinberg down back. Not sure of Carlisles aerobic capacity but reckon he'd be good for a Riewoldt type roaming/wings role. Even a permanent swingman, if the other team has the momentum go back, if EFC has momentum he goes forward.

Not sure about the 'Myers isn't living up to his draft pick' comment? Neither is Ziebell or Hansen...but they are playing their roles!!! Myers is a fine footballer and the sooner people forget about the number they were drafted the better. Yes it's fine when comparing the success of teams at draft time, but to look at Myers now and say oh nah he was number 6 let's drive his stocks down is a poor way of judging footballers imo.

Don't see the discards making up for a prime Ryder. Age is also against Watson, Goddard, Chapmen, Fletcher, Cooney and Stanton.

Giles will be a damage-limiter, not to 'make up' for Ryder. I disagree with the bolded - Stanton is just an outside runner who seems to have big games that stick in the mind of people all season so he doesn't cop criticism, but other than that he's average. As for the rest - Watson still a gun, seen no evidence that age is catching up with him. Goddard still a gun, albeit a gun in a position where a lot of players could be, but he is still a bonafide top 30-40 player in the comp regardless of where he players. Cooney is there for depth output in the midfield, similar to a Gibson/Ziebell/Bastinac 6th-7th-8th best midfielder, he doesn't need to 'keep up' with age because he isn't the one taking on mountains of work week in week out. Fletch played 3 s**t games for the year imo, 3/15 is pretty damn good. Chapman and Fletch only need to play 16 games a year, both are experts at managing their bodies. Hardly 'father time' for them.

No worse than say Harvey, Petrie, Grima (injury-prone), Wells (had whole seasons recently), Dal Santo, Firrito....

Age is merely a number. All these players know how to manage their bodies. The Bombers have a way to go yet but it's about beefing up their players in the 16th-22nd range with good young players (the likes of Gleeson, Merrett, Aylett and older ones in Colyer, Melksham, Pears). Their old guys aren't the problem.

Essendon aren't in all that bad a position. They are sandwiched, just like Richmond, North and even Freo now, where they have too strong a list to rebuild but it's difficult to see where the improvement will come from to make them strong enough to win a GF before GC/GWS (and even Brisbane, Dogs) start dominating. EFC have made all the right calls this off-season - Hardingham and Jetta are list-cloggers, Gwilt probably is too imo, but Giles/Cooney/Winderlich (retained) are all good footballers who will help the Bombers out. Heppell-Watson-Goddard isn't matched by many, with Cooney-Zaharakis-Stanton-Myers-Hocking-Howlett are all good '2nd tier' mids (bar Stanton I guess) with Zaharakis able to play 8-10 elite games a year.

The Bombers will be fine. Don't know about 'premiership' fine but there is only a few flags up-for-grabs until EFC list pasts them in my opinion, have Hawthorn-Port-Sydney for '15 and '16, Port continuing on with GC, GWS, WB, Bris building young lists for '17 '18 '19. They've made the right moves to have a real crack in '15 and '16 despite the loss of Ryder, but still have the capability to 'rebuild from within the 8' if this crack misses. Plenty of young guys (Heppell, Hooker, Carlisle, Hurley) who will be steadying the ship while Watson, Fletch, Chapman, Goddard are replaced in 3 years time.

Wait wait wait.

I was told that Joe Daniher was a top 3 contested mark in the game because he was top 3 for contested marks at one stage this year.

Are you telling me that stats don't work like this?

:) ;)

Did I tell you that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back