Essendon 2014 offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

The guys he has been battling are some of the best in the AFL (Hepell, Watson, Goddard even, Myers could take that next step) as a ball hunting inside midfielder, nothing to do with outside runners like Gleeson (half back anyways), Merret (half forward/wing) or Colyer (outside runner).
The players I mentioned went past him this year. No mention of competition. We have been waiting for Myers to take the next step for a long time now.

We have been waiting for Myers to take the next step for a long time now.

He took a good step forward this year. Won't be a superstar, but a useful player who can fill various roles (inside mid/run with jobs/half back). If he takes a similar step up in quality again this year, he'll be entrenched in the 22 if he isn't already.

It wouldn't actually surprise me to see us delist Pears in the hope of him getting through to the rookie draft. With Steinberg (which is interesting with itself), Gregory showing glimpses and hoping we retain him on the rookie list and Fletcher going around again he could be a prime candidate to be moved down.

I know eth-dog has argued vehemently that we should/could move one of Gregory/Browne/Hams to the rookie list but if fit they could all be in serious consideration for senior selection. Something Tayte will not be.

If someone picked him up before us, no sweat, we haven't lost nor gained anything out of it.

I wouldn't mind this but there is the risk of someone else getting him

It wouldn't actually surprise me to see us delist Pears in the hope of him getting through to the rookie draft. With Steinberg (which is interesting with itself), Gregory showing glimpses and hoping we retain him on the rookie list and Fletcher going around again he could be a prime candidate to be moved down.

I know eth-dog has argued vehemently that we should/could move one of Gregory/Browne/Hams to the rookie list but if fit they could all be in serious consideration for senior selection. Something Tayte will not be.

If someone picked him up before us, no sweat, we haven't lost nor gained anything out of it.
Gregory is out of contract either way, I'd just re-rookie him because it'll be better for him to have 3 years on the rookie list and reassess the project 5 years into his AFL stint.
4th tall? Does that fall somewhere between tall and short? :)

Certainly has a bit of Gibson about him and many may be surprised that he's only 188cm, which is a mids average size these days.
We've previously struggled with the Stringer/Darling types as Hibberd, Dempsey and Baguley don't cover them well.

Gregory is out of contract either way, I'd just re-rookie him because it'll be better for him to have 3 years on the rookie list and reassess the project 5 years into his AFL stint.

We've previously struggled with the Stringer/Darling types as Hibberd, Dempsey and Baguley don't cover them well.

The way I see it, we are going to have 2 of Hardingham, Gregory, Steinberg, Van Unen, Pears (with Gwilt & Fletcher on the list for 2015).

The way I see it, we are going to have 2 of Hardingham, Gregory, Steinberg, Van Unen, Pears (with Gwilt & Fletcher on the list for 2015).
I see us having Pears on the senior list and Gregory on the rookie list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are just so many walking. Like the Lions last year you are going to smash a hole in your list. They slid down the ladder and it looks like it will happen to Essendon as well.

Gumby, Kav, Monfries and Ryder were 1st round picks - on top of the 1st round picks you lost in the last 2 years.

CBF reading much further but I hope you retracted your vitriol in this thread. #whatexodus

Only Kav stayed - for 1 more year and he is not rated at all. The slide is coming in 2015 - and that is not good coming from me.

Howlett re-signed
Winderlich is playing on
Hardingham was getting delisted anyway

The only player who left was Ryder. But don't let facts get in the way of a good essendon bashing

Howlett re-signed
Winderlich is playing on
Hardingham was getting delisted anyway

The only player who left was Ryder. But don't let facts get in the way of a good essendon bashing
Read my post again - like Bris you have recently lost a lot of 1st round draft picks - Gumby, Ryder, Monfries, 2013 and 2014. Kav did stay as there was little interest. He looks like a bust. Losing your 1st rounders will hurt any club. By march when I do my ladder prediction you will know just how much.

Read my post again - like Bris you have recently lost a lot of 1st round draft picks - Gumby, Ryder, Monfries, 2013 and 2014. Kav did stay as there was little interest. He looks like a bust. Losing your 1st rounders will hurt any club. By march when I do my ladder prediction you will know just how much.

lol

Yeah... it's really, umm... unusual?... for you to not rate Essendon.
I rated you 11th best in 2012, 7th best in 2013 and 8th best in 2014.

Perfect, Perfect and 1 off. Disappointed in missing the 3 peat this year - I blame Bryce Gibbs.

Watch for my 2015 ladder - it may save some heartache knowing in advance.

Perfect, Perfect and 1 off. Disappointed in missing the 3 peat this year - I blame Bryce Gibbs.

Good work, chief.

I once said that I will get a ham and salad sandwhich at work one day from the mrs. That makes me Jamie Oliver, yeah?

I once said that I will get a ham and salad sandwhich at work one day from the mrs. That makes me Jamie Oliver, yeah?
Sure - if your name is Jamie Oliver then you are Jamie Oliver. Not sure how having a sandwich stops you from being you.

Hang on - you do know who you are? You do get confused a lot.

Sure - if your name is Jamie Oliver then you are Jamie Oliver. Not sure how having a sandwich stops you from being you.

Hang on - you do know who you are? You do get confused a lot.

The biggest sign of an egotistical fool is pumping one's own tyres up. Something you seem to love doing far, far to often there champ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back