Essendon Fans: Would You Forgive the AFL if you Don't Get Banned?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suggest the only thing the fans would be seeking is the club taking on the AFL Commission and seeking Fitzpatrick and Gillon immediately stand down and if they don't that both men be sacked and that an investigation into the conduct of the AFL Commission and staff be the next port of call.
"Number 15,your flying pig Parma is ready"

I would suggest the only thing the fans would be seeking is the club taking on the AFL Commission and seeking Fitzpatrick and Gillon immediately stand down and if they don't that both men be sacked and that an investigation into the conduct of the AFL Commission and staff be the next port of call.
Seems a little far fetched. I though you would just ask for the 2013 Flag since you were wrongly kicked out of the finals series and would have won the whole thing.

Yes, but we also lost quite a few places in the draft order because of that, and if we are found not guilty we should be compensated.

We still killed the draft with our picks but Lachie Weller would have been nice.

yeah you did. I know after you called Gwilt's name out, you could just hear the crys of "OMG NO" from the 17 other clubs :p

yeah you did. I know after you called Gwilt's name out, you could just hear the crys of "OMG NO" from the 17 other clubs :p
Yeah, but at least when we acquire depth spuds we don't trade 2nd rounders for them.

But who knows, maybe Hampson's kids will have some talent passed down from their mother's side and you might get a decent father/son.

Free agent ma man

I don't really care about the fine, because we're rich enough and always will be to handle little hits like that, nor about getting kicked out of finals, because seeing Richmond lose a final to the 9th best team was just too funny... but I'd like the AFL to give us our lost draft picks back. A couple of picks at the end of the first round and an early second round pick in the 2015 draft will be compensation enough for me.

Considering other teams have put their players at serious risk in the past by forcing concussed players back out onto the ground, and 12 other clubs were running supplements programs with little to no accountability, I think the draft sanctions for "bringing the game into disrepute" were a little harsh.

You do realise your club was found guilty on the charges that held those punishments?

I know it''s been a long haul but do try to keep up.

Yes, but we also lost quite a few places in the draft order because of that, and if we are found not guilty we should be compensated.

Errr ... that punishment was for issues relating to governance yeah? And for that you were "found guilty". The club's own internal report even condemned what was going on governance wise. So certainly, ASADA not being able to prove that the substances being injected willy-nilly were banned, is no grounds for compensation on that matter. And on that note, I reckon if it's proved that the club did give players banned substances, then they should cop further penalties, as would be fully warranted for a club run doping program.

Errr ... that punishment was for issues relating to governance yeah? And for that you were "found guilty". The club's own internal report even condemned what was going on governance wise. So certainly, ASADA not being able to prove that the substances being injected willy-nilly were banned, is no grounds for compensation on that matter. And on that note, I reckon if it's proved that the club did give players banned substances, then they should cop further penalties, as would be be warranted for a club run doping program.
exactly, as the words that were said with the penalty, went something like, "there is insufficient evidence to date of any doping violations"
So you would think the penalties handed out were weak if doping did occur

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holy crap. I'm at work on my computer and W T F.

This dog comes ROLLING into my room out of nowhere. His tongue was hanging out and everything.

He sees this thread I'm reading, he reads it too and he types "LOL" on my keyboard and hits reply. And then he rolls back out!!!!!!

So please ignore my previous post.
How is it all working out at adult remedial education?

I don't really care about the fine, because we're rich enough and always will be to handle little hits like that, nor about getting kicked out of finals, because seeing Richmond lose a final to the 9th best team was just too funny... but I'd like the AFL to give us our lost draft picks back. A couple of picks at the end of the first round and an early second round pick in the 2015 draft will be compensation enough for me.

Considering other teams have put their players at serious risk in the past by forcing concussed players back out onto the ground, and 12 other clubs were running supplements programs with little to no accountability, I think the draft sanctions for "bringing the game into disrepute" were a little harsh.
I gave you thumbs up for comedy. I assume thats your profession.

I'll put my hands up and say that I really couldn't care less about what opposition supporters think. I'm sure most Essendon supporters would be in the same boat. I kinda like the hate actually and the meltdowns that come when we beat them.

Most Essendon supporters (like the majority of the public) are expecting bans. I'm really beyond caring about whether they are banned or not. Of course ideally they are not (for my own reasons), but if they are, then the positive that comes out of it is that it is finished. I would like a date or a round when I know the whole thing is finished, whether it is round 1, round 7 or 2016. This limbo that we are currently in doesn't give anything to look forward to. No date for the results of the court proceedings, no round or year to look forward to, we don't know how long this saga will last etc. Bans are much better than this provisionally suspended thing. At least we'll know how long the top-ups are going to be here for.

As for the AFL, they did what they thought was an appropriate punishment so not too hung up about that. Already punished Essendon (the club) for this saga and it looks like Essendon did well with the picks that they had, so not overly fussed. The AFL can't really do anything about the player bans so not sure why our view of the AFL would change depending on bans. Not happy about the AFL's performance throughout the saga at all, but it's not like I would think it is more corrupt than what I originally thought anyways. It is a business looking for profit.
Essendon's performance wasn't spectacular either and they got themselves in this mess to begin with so hard to blame anyone else.

So no change then?
I hope you get knocked out cold by a North Supporter. Sounds like you have it coming.

It wouldn't bother me, I'm a big boy I can look after myself, But if some smart ass opposition supporter wants to have a crack at my football side I will reply in kind, I will be so cocky so arrogant and so ignorant to his insults it will piss him off to no end.

Nothing will change, Essendon will always be known as cheats no matter if you sleaze your way out of these charges, some of us still remember '93
then you may as well lump these teams in with that view:

• In 1987, Sydney were fined the maximum of $60,000 and forfeited their first round pick in the National Draft after a VFL investigation found that they had exceeded the salary cap by $1.15 million during the season.
  • In 1992, Sydney were fined $50,000 after it was found that they had failed to disclose payments made to former player Greg Williams during the 1990 season; Williams was suspended for six matches and fined the maximum of $25,000 for accepting the payments.[6]
  • Hawthorn was fined $28,500 in 1992 for a minor breach in relation to benefit payments.
  • Three clubs were fined for minor breaches in 1993: Melbourne ($13,450), Carlton ($9,750) and Footscray ($2,700).[7]
  • In 1994, Carlton were fined $50,000 after it was found that they had exceeded the salary cap by $85,000 during the 1993 season.[8]
  • In 1995, Sydney were fined $20,000 after key documents relating to player financial details and star full-forward Tony Lockett's contract details were lost in the post by club officials, forcing the club, who had won the last three wooden spoons, to scratch from the 1995 pre-season draft and play the season two players short.[9] The club officials responsible for this error were fired by the Swans one week later.
  • In 1996, Essendon were fined a record $638,250 ($250,000 in back tax and penalties, $112,000 for draft tampering and $276,250 for breaching the salary cap regulations), forfeited their first, second and third round picks in the National Draft and were excluded from the 1997 rookie and pre-season drafts after a joint Australian Tax Office and AFL investigation found that they had committed serious and systematic breaches of the salary cap regulations totalling $514,500 between 1991 and 1996, including $110,000 in 1993 when Essendon won the premiership.[10]
  • Ten other clubs were fined in 1996 for minor breaches in a crackdown following the Sydney incident the year before: Fitzroy, St Kilda and North Melbourne ($30,000 each), Richmond ($20,000), and Brisbane, Collingwood, the Western Bulldogs, Fremantle, Hawthorn and the West Coast Eagles ($10,000 each).
  • In 1997, Port Adelaide was fined $50,000 for late lodgement of documents relating to the contract and financial details of five players.[11]
  • In 1998, the West Coast Eagles were fined $100,000 and forfeited their third round pick in the National Draft after an AFL investigation found that they had exceeded the salary cap by a total of $165,000 during the 1997 and 1998 seasons.
  • Five other clubs also fined for exceeding the salary cap in 1998: Geelong ($77,000 and excluded from the 1999 pre-season draft), Collingwood ($47,500 and excluded from the 1999 pre-season draft), Hawthorn ($45,000), Richmond ($21,000 and excluded from the 1999 pre-season draft) and the Western Bulldogs ($5,300).[12]
  • In 1999, Melbourne were fined $600,000 and forfeited their first, second and third round picks in the National Draft for two years after it was found that they had committed serious and systematic breaches of the salary cap regulations totalling $810,000 between 1995 and 1998. Fremantle were handed Melbourne's first round pick for the 1999 National Draft as compensation for losing ruckman Jeff White to Melbourne.
  • Two other clubs were fined in 1999 for minor breaches: Carlton (fined $43,800 and excluded from the 2000 pre-season draft) and Geelong ($20,000).[13]
  • In 2000, Fremantle were fined $54,400 and excluded from the 2001 pre-season draft for a string of minor breaches. Fremantle's poor 2001 season (in which it won the wooden spoon) has been put down to this penalty.
  • Four other clubs were fined in 2000 for minor breaches: North Melbourne ($35,000), Richmond ($10,000), Brisbane ($7,500), and Melbourne ($5,000).[14]
  • In 2001, Carlton were fined $125,150, forfeited their second and third round picks in the 2001 National Draft, and were excluded from the 2002 pre-season draft after it was found that they had failed to disclose payments totaling $239,900 to captain Craig Bradley and incorrectly lodged an additional services agreement document during the 1998 and 1999 seasons.
  • Three other clubs were fined in 2001 for minor breaches: Richmond and North Melbourne ($20,000 each) and Melbourne ($5,000).[15]
  • In 2002, Carlton were fined an AFL record $987,500 and forfeited their priority picks in the 2002 National Draft, their first and second round picks in the 2003 and 2004 National Draft and were excluded from the 2003 pre-season draft after an AFL investigation found that they had committed serious and systematic breaches of the salary cap regulations totaling $1.37 million between 1998 and 2001; ruckman Matthew Allan was suspended for five matches and fined $10,000 for accepting undisclosed payments from club officials. Carlton struggled for seven years as it recovered both on and off the field from these significant penalties, finishing no higher than 11th in 2004 and winning their first-ever wooden spoons in 2002, 2005 and 2006. After the draft ban expired, Carlton received a multitude of priority and first round draft picks.[16]
  • Fremantle were fined $80,000 in 2002 for late and incorrect lodgement of documents relating to the financial and contract details of eight players.
  • In 2003, Brisbane were fined $260,000 for late lodgement of documents relating to the contract and financial details of 26 players, Essendon were fined $85,000 but did not have any points deducted after it was found that they had exceeded the salary cap by $106,000 during the 2002 season, and the Western Bulldogs were fined $30,000 for late lodgement of documents relating to the contract and financial details of three players after a crackdown in light of the Carlton scandal the year before.[17]
  • In 2004, Melbourne were fined $30,000 for incorrect lodgement of documents relating to the contract and financial details of three players.[18]
  • In 2005, St Kilda were fined $40,000 for a minor breach in regards to minor sponsor Xbox providing players with the game machines.[19] Brian Waldron, Matt Hanson and Cameron Vale, the club's CEO, CFO and Financial Officer at the time, were also involved at the NRL's Melbourne Storm when their salary cap scandal was brought to light.
  • In 2006, St Kilda were fined $40,000 for late lodgement of documents relating to the contract and financial details of four players.[20]
  • Richmond was fined $10,000 in 2007 for late lodgement of a document relating to the contract and financial details of a player.[21]
  • Two clubs were fined in 2008 for minor breaches: Adelaide ($20,000) and St Kilda ($10,000).[22]
  • In 2011, Richmond were fined $10,000 but did not have any points deducted after it was found that they had exceeded the salary cap by $13,000 during the 2010 season.[23]
  • In 2012, Collingwood were fined $20,000 for late lodgement of documents relating to the contract and financial details of two players.[24]
  • In 2012, Adelaide were fined $300,000 and barred from the first two rounds and from taking any father-son selections in the 2013 National Draft but did not have any points deducted after an AFL investigation discovered that they had made unauthorised payments of $170,000 to and illegally agreed to trade forward Kurt Tippett to a club of his choice for a second-round draft pick when his contract expired at the end of 2012; Tippett was suspended until June 30, 2013 (11 matches plus the pre-season) and fined a player record $50,000 for accepting these conditions. Three Adelaide officials were also penalized: CEO Steven Trigg (suspended until June 30, 2013 and fined $50,000), former football manager John Reid (no longer directly involved in the AFL, but suspended until June 30, 2013) and current football manager Phil Harper (suspended until June 30, 2013).[25]

• In 1987, Sydney were fined the maximum of $60,000 and forfeited their first round pick in the National Draft after a VFL investigation found that they had exceeded the salary cap by $1.15 million during the season.
  • In 1992, Sydney were fined $50,000 after it was found that they had failed to disclose payments made to former player Greg Williams during the 1990 season; Williams was suspended for six matches and fined the maximum of $25,000 for accepting the payments.[6]
  • Hawthorn was fined $28,500 in 1992 for a minor breach in relation to benefit payments.
  • Three clubs were fined for minor breaches in 1993: Melbourne ($13,450), Carlton ($9,750) and Footscray ($2,700).[7]
  • In 1994, Carlton were fined $50,000 after it was found that they had exceeded the salary cap by $85,000 during the 1993 season.[8]
  • In 1995, Sydney were fined $20,000 after key documents relating to player financial details and star full-forward Tony Lockett's contract details were lost in the post by club officials, forcing the club, who had won the last three wooden spoons, to scratch from the 1995 pre-season draft and play the season two players short.[9] The club officials responsible for this error were fired by the Swans one week later.
  • In 1996, Essendon were fined a record $638,250 ($250,000 in back tax and penalties, $112,000 for draft tampering and $276,250 for breaching the salary cap regulations), forfeited their first, second and third round picks in the National Draft and were excluded from the 1997 rookie and pre-season drafts after a joint Australian Tax Office and AFL investigation found that they had committed serious and systematic breaches of the salary cap regulations totalling $514,500 between 1991 and 1996, including $110,000 in 1993 when Essendon won the premiership.[10]
  • Ten other clubs were fined in 1996 for minor breaches in a crackdown following the Sydney incident the year before: Fitzroy, St Kilda and North Melbourne ($30,000 each), Richmond ($20,000), and Brisbane, Collingwood, the Western Bulldogs, Fremantle, Hawthorn and the West Coast Eagles ($10,000 each).
  • In 1997, Port Adelaide was fined $50,000 for late lodgement of documents relating to the contract and financial details of five players.[11]
  • In 1998, the West Coast Eagles were fined $100,000 and forfeited their third round pick in the National Draft after an AFL investigation found that they had exceeded the salary cap by a total of $165,000 during the 1997 and 1998 seasons.
  • Five other clubs also fined for exceeding the salary cap in 1998: Geelong ($77,000 and excluded from the 1999 pre-season draft), Collingwood ($47,500 and excluded from the 1999 pre-season draft), Hawthorn ($45,000), Richmond ($21,000 and excluded from the 1999 pre-season draft) and the Western Bulldogs ($5,300).[12]
  • In 1999, Melbourne were fined $600,000 and forfeited their first, second and third round picks in the National Draft for two years after it was found that they had committed serious and systematic breaches of the salary cap regulations totalling $810,000 between 1995 and 1998. Fremantle were handed Melbourne's first round pick for the 1999 National Draft as compensation for losing ruckman Jeff White to Melbourne.
  • Two other clubs were fined in 1999 for minor breaches: Carlton (fined $43,800 and excluded from the 2000 pre-season draft) and Geelong ($20,000).[13]
  • In 2000, Fremantle were fined $54,400 and excluded from the 2001 pre-season draft for a string of minor breaches. Fremantle's poor 2001 season (in which it won the wooden spoon) has been put down to this penalty.
  • Four other clubs were fined in 2000 for minor breaches: North Melbourne ($35,000), Richmond ($10,000), Brisbane ($7,500), and Melbourne ($5,000).[14]
  • In 2001, Carlton were fined $125,150, forfeited their second and third round picks in the 2001 National Draft, and were excluded from the 2002 pre-season draft after it was found that they had failed to disclose payments totaling $239,900 to captain Craig Bradley and incorrectly lodged an additional services agreement document during the 1998 and 1999 seasons.
  • Three other clubs were fined in 2001 for minor breaches: Richmond and North Melbourne ($20,000 each) and Melbourne ($5,000).[15]
  • In 2002, Carlton were fined an AFL record $987,500 and forfeited their priority picks in the 2002 National Draft, their first and second round picks in the 2003 and 2004 National Draft and were excluded from the 2003 pre-season draft after an AFL investigation found that they had committed serious and systematic breaches of the salary cap regulations totaling $1.37 million between 1998 and 2001; ruckman Matthew Allan was suspended for five matches and fined $10,000 for accepting undisclosed payments from club officials. Carlton struggled for seven years as it recovered both on and off the field from these significant penalties, finishing no higher than 11th in 2004 and winning their first-ever wooden spoons in 2002, 2005 and 2006. After the draft ban expired, Carlton received a multitude of priority and first round draft picks.[16]
  • Fremantle were fined $80,000 in 2002 for late and incorrect lodgement of documents relating to the financial and contract details of eight players.
  • In 2003, Brisbane were fined $260,000 for late lodgement of documents relating to the contract and financial details of 26 players, Essendon were fined $85,000 but did not have any points deducted after it was found that they had exceeded the salary cap by $106,000 during the 2002 season, and the Western Bulldogs were fined $30,000 for late lodgement of documents relating to the contract and financial details of three players after a crackdown in light of the Carlton scandal the year before.[17]
  • In 2004, Melbourne were fined $30,000 for incorrect lodgement of documents relating to the contract and financial details of three players.[18]
  • In 2005, St Kilda were fined $40,000 for a minor breach in regards to minor sponsor Xbox providing players with the game machines.[19] Brian Waldron, Matt Hanson and Cameron Vale, the club's CEO, CFO and Financial Officer at the time, were also involved at the NRL's Melbourne Storm when their salary cap scandal was brought to light.
  • In 2006, St Kilda were fined $40,000 for late lodgement of documents relating to the contract and financial details of four players.[20]
  • Richmond was fined $10,000 in 2007 for late lodgement of a document relating to the contract and financial details of a player.[21]
  • Two clubs were fined in 2008 for minor breaches: Adelaide ($20,000) and St Kilda ($10,000).[22]
  • In 2011, Richmond were fined $10,000 but did not have any points deducted after it was found that they had exceeded the salary cap by $13,000 during the 2010 season.[23]
  • In 2012, Collingwood were fined $20,000 for late lodgement of documents relating to the contract and financial details of two players.[24]
  • In 2012, Adelaide were fined $300,000 and barred from the first two rounds and from taking any father-son selections in the 2013 National Draft but did not have any points deducted after an AFL investigation discovered that they had made unauthorised payments of $170,000 to and illegally agreed to trade forward Kurt Tippett to a club of his choice for a second-round draft pick when his contract expired at the end of 2012; Tippett was suspended until June 30, 2013 (11 matches plus the pre-season) and fined a player record $50,000 for accepting these conditions. Three Adelaide officials were also penalized: CEO Steven Trigg (suspended until June 30, 2013 and fined $50,000), former football manager John Reid (no longer directly involved in the AFL, but suspended until June 30, 2013) and current football manager Phil Harper (suspended until June 30, 2013).[25]
people in glass houses. There are plenty of them in these forums

Agree the salary cap contraventions are shocking.

But I still think a lunatic, poorly governed injection program, overseen by a 'status' hero coach setting a tops example by injecting non-prescribed vanity drugs, employing crooks to positions where they potentially can harm players, not documenting the detail of what was given (or destroying incriminating information) is worse. And that's before you get to whether or not it can be proven banned substances were used.

And I don't recall a "poor us ... The AFL, the Courts, the universe" attitude that is so repellant for years after the breach that we are seeing today from Essendon. Own worst enemies, the Esses.

people in glass houses. There are plenty of them in these forums
That list just proves that Essendon are the second biggest salary cap cheats behind Carlton. Melbourne and Adelaide are the others that have done the dodgy, the rest are minor and can occur due to admin errors or a lot of injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back