Preview Essendon vs Gold Coast, Docklands, 23/08/2014 @ 2:10 PM (IN: Carlisle, Fantasia OUT: Melk, Heppell)

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he was fantastic on Saturday, Definitely stays in for mine.

The thing that I really liked about his game was that even though he wasn't starring, he still contributed at two massive moments in the game (both of his goals). If you can have a disproportionately large influence on the game on the days where you're not getting high possession numbers, you're a good player.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Daniher had an underrated game on Saturday. Two good goals - and one unlucky miss - against an extremely good opponent, while operating as the sole focal point throughout the game.

Against Gold Coast, Joey will get one of those rare opportunities to play against opponents who are similarly developed. It should be a good opportunity for him to snag a few and build on last week. We'd be awfully silly to leave him out this week.

bombermick

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2009
Vermont South
AFL Club
Essendon
Surely Buckets is having a laugh saying he's a chance. I know sore backs can come good quickly, but he couldn't stand up straight yesterday.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
In: Carlisle
Out: Melksham (just has to get dropped as much as i like him as a player).

Ambrose/Steinberg would be the next dropped for me. We need to win this game so i wont be resting anyone. Everyones had a rest havnt they?
Cant see a great matchup initially for Steinberg but i wouldnt drop him as it would only cause him to lose confidence.

Depending where TBC is at and his form in the 2nds? Id look to bring him in for Ambrose. But unsure 100% on that one. It would be the only other id consider.

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
This a great opportunity to get some good footy going against a team that is cooked for 2014.

If Goddard is labouring, don't play him...same applies for Carlisle if he's still tender. We'll spank these also rans regardless.

No way we'll turn in the same rubbish as the 1st half of last week. Boys have turned the corner.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Surely Buckets is having a laugh saying he's a chance. I know sore backs can come good quickly, but he couldn't stand up straight yesterday.

As someone who has had his fair share of back problems - they really can come good in a matter of days. But they are also unpredictable so who really knows whether Carlisle is a chance or not.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
In: Carlisle
Out: Melksham (just has to get dropped as much as i like him as a player).

Ambrose/Steinberg would be the next dropped for me. We need to win this game so i wont be resting anyone. Everyones had a rest havnt they?
Cant see a great matchup initially for Steinberg but i wouldnt drop him as it would only cause him to lose confidence.

Depending where TBC is at and his form in the 2nds? Id look to bring him in for Ambrose. But unsure 100% on that one. It would be the only other id consider.

Why would we want to drop Ambrose at all? If it's to rest him, and I don't understand why we would - Winderlich or Fletcher he ain't - wouldn't we wait until we have GCS sewn up? If it's a choice between the two it has to be Steinberg, presuming that Carlisle comes back. Some of his kicking was atrocious.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Why would we want to drop Ambrose at all? If it's to rest him, and I don't understand why we would - Winderlich or Fletcher he ain't - wouldn't we wait until we have GCS sewn up? If it's a choice between the two it has to be Steinberg, presuming that Carlisle comes back. Some of his kicking was atrocious.
He was average and didnt do half of his role well for the side which is to leadup as a half forward and present - was non existant and hurt us. Im not resting him, im dropping him. Hes a bomber Thompson love child so wont happen. Im unsure where TBC is at but if hes in form id play him? as i said unsure how he went for the 2nds on the weekend. Did we even play?

We dont have a replacement for Steinberg do we?

We do for Ambrose. Actually we have 2 for Ambrose.

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
The 2s played and won, TBC didn't play as he was held back as back up for Ryder who was given right up til game time to decide whether to play or not. Who are the two replacements for Ambrose?

IggypopsTshirt

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
If Melksham can't seem to motivate himself to compete at his time of year win a spot in the side on the line some serious questions need to be asked about his future. Odds for GC worth a cheeky flutter, this is the type of game we have dropped in recent times.

EFC 18pts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
If Melksham can't seem to motivate himself to compete at his time of year win a spot in the side on the line some serious questions need to be asked about his future. Odds for GC worth a cheeky flutter, this is the type of game we have dropped in recent times.

EFC 18pts

GC seem to be suffering from the same problems we have over the past few years - an inability to run out the season. But they remain highly talented and have a number of players who could cause us headaches if we take a half-arsed approach. Hopefully the boys will be on and ready to lock-in a finals spot.

No way we'll turn in the same rubbish as the 1st half of last week. Boys have turned the corner.

How many times have we said this over the last 5 years.....how many time have we said it this season!
I hope you are right though.

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I thought Ambrose was ok on Sat. Worked really hard in the contest, esp once ball hit the ground in 2nd half. His effort to beat 2 eagles & win the ball that created the goal for Zaka to put us in front was huge!

Sure his timing at the ball was amiss at times but he'll be better for the run. Can fine tune next two weeks with hopefully Carlisle back in line up.

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
Ambrose struggles when he's the 2nd key forward like he was on the weekend

Ambrose was playing a mostly defensive role on Hurn in the first half. He did a good job. He also presented well in the second half. He needs as much footy as possible to get his eye in for the finals. A third tall with his workrate is essential if we want to win final, 2 if we're lucky.

Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon: 11 wins 9 losses
Essendon with Ambrose: 9 wins 5 losses
Essendon without Ambrose: 2 wins 4 losses

You do the math.

Not saying your point is not valid, but without knowing who the wins and losses were against, the wins that he played in is not really an enlightening stat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back