Preview Essendon vs North Melbourne (12/08/12)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
North Melbourne vs Essendon (12/08/12):

Observations:

North Melbourne: Have been in very good form. Petrie’s been firing, kicking goals and taking massive marks, and only has two first team players missing in Jack Ziebell and Lindsay Thomas. Their forward line is firing, their midfield is playing very well, but their starts haven’t been as good as they would like, and that may cost them.

Essendon: Have lost the last 3 and 4 of the last 5, with several key players out. The team had 5 of their first 7 players missing against Adelaide, and one of the players was in his first game back. The bombers will be strengthened by the possible inclusions of Fletcher, Ryder, Crameri, Stanton and Hibberd into the best 22. Jobe Watson has been crucial for them recently.

Head-to-Head (last 5) : North Melbourne 2- Essendon 3

Form:

Essendon: L-W-L-L-L
North Melbourne: L-W-W-W-W

Odds (from sportsbet.com)

Possible Teams:

North Melbourne:
B: McMahon-Grima-Firrito
HB: Atley-Thompson-Mullett
C: Wells-Swallow-Adams
HF: Harvey-Petrie-Garlett
F: Tarrant-Hansen-Harper
R: Goldstein-Cunnington-Bastinac
I: Anthony-Gibson-Wright
S: Campbell

Essendon:
B: Fletcher-Carlsile-Hardingham
HB: Dempsey-Hooker-Hibberd
C: Melksham-Watson-Heppell
HF: Gumbleton-Ryder-Jetta
F: Crameri-Hurley-Davey
R: Bellchambers-Hocking-Stanton
I: Browne-NLM-Myers
S: Colyer

Key Match-Ups:

Jobe Watson vs Andrew Swallow: Yes, I know I said that this would be a key match-up in round 1, and it’s a key match-up again. Watson has been the best player in the competition this year, and again starred in Essendon’s narrow loss to the crows. He has been immense, finding clearances, kicking goals and has been pretty much a lone hand in the midfield for the bombers. Swallow could be considered as good as Watson, and he will need to be if his team is to win, as this game has massive implications in the make-up of the 8.

Cale Hooker vs Drew Petrie: Petrie has been in incredible form, arguably the form key forward of the competition right now, with the exception of the big Pavlova. He has been taking strong marks left, right and centre. He has been converting too, which helps his confidence. Cale Hooker has been in poor form recently, two of his last four opponents have defeated him, in Tom Hawkins and Nick Riewoldt. He will want a big game, and what better chance to prove himself than against Drew Petrie?

Todd Goldstein vs Tom Bellchambers: These two ruckmen have been in fantastic form, both getting truckloads of hitouts recently. Bellchambers combatted against the best ruckman in the competition last game, and came out and got more hitouts than the opposition by himself. Goldstein has been in just as good form. It will be interesting who wins the battle, as it could be the difference of the two teams.

Keys for each team:

Essendon:
  • Delivery. This side has some excellent key forwards in Crameri, Ryder, Hurley and Gumbleton, and the fact that they’re all mobile is a bonus. Deliver it well and they’ll kick bags
  • Put in the effort you put in against the crows. North aren’t in the class of Adelaide, so if you put in another monster effort like that you’ll go close
  • Forward pressure. The pressure is vital for us to win and cause turnovers. Davey and Jetta are the two keys
North Melbourne:
  • Win the contested ball. This area is crucial, you need to stop Watson, Hocking and Myers giving first use of the ball to their outside midfielders in Heppell, Stanton and Browne
  • Don’t be Petrie-conscience. If you always go to Petrie in pressure situations, it’ll be easy for Fletcher to zone off his opponent and cut off the kick
  • Win the ruck. The opponents have two very good ruckmen in their side, so stop them and it may be very helpful to your cause
Summary:

Essendon are out of form, but have 5 big players coming in from the side that took on Adelaide, all of whom are best 18, probably best 15. They also have just put in a massive performance against a near full-strength Adelaide who is playing very strong football, and will be heart broken and a little annoyed at that loss.

North Melbourne is playing excellent football. They have a midfield combination that seems to be working, a forward line that has been strong and kicking goals, and a defence that has been absorbing many attacks, even if they’ve been playing some fairly easy opponents in the Bulldogs, an out-of-form Richmond and Melbourne

Tip: Flip of a coin. Essendon in worse form, North Melbourne against easier opponents. Essendon need to win to secure a finals berth, so Essendon by 6.

Gentlemen (and ladies), let it be made abundantly clear that cracking wise about injuries to Essendon players will not be tolerated from North Melbourne supporters.

And let it also be made abundantly clear that this isn't a banter thread, nor will it be. Discuss the game ahead or remove yourselves.

Cheers.

Melksham wont be dropped, if we didn't drop him for the last month we wont drop him now.

If fit

In: Crameri, Stanton, Fletcher, Myers
Out: Slattery, Winderlich, Howlett, Pears/Hardingham

Apologies for the intrusion. Is Ryder set to come back this week? Also what the hell is the go with Zaharakis? I thought it was a four week injury but it's been plenty more than that. Thanks in advance.
Footnote, bombers were excellent tonight despite the narrow loss.

There's no Zaharakis at the club. You must be confused.

Weapon made Zaharakis disappear
tumblr_lnc35qYM9Q1qapsvo.gif

They have a very suspect backline. Licka would have been so dangerous, but I'll back Gumby, Hurley and whichever other talls are fit to monster a reasonably poor Thompson/Grima combo in the air.

Melksham wont be dropped, if we didn't drop him for the last month we wont drop him now.

If fit

In: Crameri, Stanton, Fletcher, Myers
Out: Slattery, Winderlich, Howlett, Pears/Hardingham

Hardingham? Really? I thought he was our only decent defender tonight spoiled well and thought his defensive pressure was ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardingham? Really? I thought he was our only decent defender tonight spoiled well and thought his defensive pressure was ok.

Even if we were to remove Hardingham from the backline (which we could perhaps, with Hibberd possibly coming back), I'd look at putting him up forward anyway

But that'd be because I'd look at having Hurley go back and taking Petrie and I think I might be in the minority there

Couple of injuries and a couple of players will have to make way for senior players coming back. Team should look something like;-

OUT: Winders, Howlett, Slattery, Baguley
IN: Crameri, Stanton, Fletch, Monfries

Hooker Fletch Hardingham
Pears Carlisle Dempsey
Stanton Hocking Melksham
Monfries Hurley Browne
Crameri Gumby Davey

T.Bell Watson Heppell

Bench from: NLM Lonergan Colyer Jetta

Players back, back at Ethiad and with confidence from a good showing against the Crows we are a big chance in this one. Huge game - whoever wins should make the 8 - comon Bombers!

Even if we were to remove Hardingham from the backline (which we could perhaps, with Hibberd possibly coming back), I'd look at putting him up forward anyway

But that'd be because I'd look at having Hurley go back and taking Petrie and I think I might be in the minority there

Not a bad idea that - thought he looked underdone (as could be expected) against the Crows. Depends on who comes up - if Crameri & Ryder come in then definitely a good option playing Hurley back.

Sorry to intrude. Liked your write up. Two minor points, while we are Petrie conscious, our forward line is working well with 3 tall forwards - Drew, Tarrant and Hansen. They shift roles and mix it up in the forward 50, so we are less Petrie-focussed than last season.

Our backline is our weakness. While we are the second highest scoring side in the comp, we are also have the fourth highest scores against. However, this is mainly due to our young midfield. The defenders are all actually performing pretty well, problem is the ball comes is too much. Thompson gave J Reiwoldt a touch up recently and Grima is pretty good in the air.

All the best for the game, should be a cracker.

I actually didn't think Pears was that bad.

Got better as the game went on but still looks a mile off it IMO.

Thought the shift forward in the last said a bit - with no match up I don't know that the coaches trust him in a different role down back (rebounding, just floating or playing on a small). If it was Fletch they would have left him down back to do his thing.

If Fletch comes back I can't see Pears playing ATM. Certainly won't go forward with Crameri back (and maybe even Ryder).

In: Ryder, Crameri, Fletcher, Stanton, Hille, Hooker

Team:
B: Hardingham Pears Slattery
HB: Hooker Carlile Hille
C: Stanton, Watson, Dell-O
HF: Monfries Hurley Dyson
F: Crameri Fletcher Ryder
R: Bellchambers ????? ??????
Your thoughts?

At this stage I don't think it is worthwhile trying to work out the ins and outs. As we've seen all year we have no idea who is injured until right up until an hour before the game when final team sheets are due.

What we do know is that Winderlich will definitely not be playing. I'm not sure Howlett is as clear. I'm sure he'd want to protect his games played in a row streak.

Regarding the ins, one week is a long time on the training track at Essendon. A lot can change... just ask Ryder and Zaharakis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back