Preview Essendon vs Richmond, MCG, 29/08/15 @ 7:20PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The sacking of Hird has change absolutely nothing at the selection table, it makes me wonder what the point of canning him was...

Are you suggesting he was canned due to his selections lol.

Edwards makes way for Chapman. 1 last game. I've got no problem with it.

I love ambrose dropping... he does nothing to warrant selection bar 1 good tackle a game

Okay, now that I've seen the teams I can crap on about how not including KAV and picking Conor is absolute bs.

He has not earned his spot. KAV has. Jesus, playing seniors for Essendon is becoming as insignificant as the baggy green

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Observations

Essendon forward line vs Richmond defence

This is probably the weakest area for both sides. Essendon average a tad under 21% goals/inside 50, below the AFL average, and 20% in terms of marks/inside 50, also under the AFL average. Conversely Richmond average 22% for each, which is below the AFL average for the former and on the average for the latter. Essendon's main hopes will be on Joe Daniher and Cale Hooker, but McKernan could bob up and kick a few after arguably the best game of his career. Alex Rance looks likely to have back to back All Australians, and will likely play on Joe Daniher. Troy Chaplin will likely to play on Hooker, which leaves undersized Jake Batchelor on the resting ruck, which will be tough on him. Jayden Laverde has been exciting across half forward for Essendon and will want to continue against a top 8 side this season, up against rebounder Bachar Houli who can be a bit suspect defensively.
Forgive me both for intruding and for a late reply to the opening post/review. I read it a couple of days ago but only now have been in a position to post this reply. I generally liked the preview but was bemused by this statement. Our weakness has been our attack. Our best line all year has been the backs, followed by the mids with the attack at times dysfunctional (which explains why, even when we were losing to Melbourne etc. it was by small margins). The last two weeks the attack has feasted on minnows and. with Vickery in career-best form, it finally has been clicking in to place. But, as any devotee of the Squiggle will tell you, Richmond is a super-defensive side, currently rating better than the Swans and Fremantle, but with a a bit of work to do to get its attack into contention.

What complicates it is that the stat which follows the statement appears to refer to the attack - so if what the Preview is saying is that both teams have problems with their attack, then I agree, though if I was to enter full Bigfooty mode I could point out that Daniher's mate McBean is coming a second (by one goal) in the VFL's goal kicking and can't break into our seniors. But I wouldn't be so crass ;). Also, I still agree that this is our weakest line.

Regarding our defence - you have left out Grimes whom we knew was going to be available- but to your credit, the point about Bachelor being forced to take the resting ruckman explains why Morris, who (for all his spudness this year) was excellent back in his old role of small defender last week, has been dropped for Grimes.

Forgive me both for intruding and for a late reply to the opening post/review. I read it a couple of days ago but only now have been in a position to post this reply. I generally liked the preview but was bemused by this statement. Our weakness has been our attack. Our best line all year has been the backs, followed by the mids with the attack at times dysfunctional (which explains why, even when we were losing to Melbourne etc. it was by small margins). The last two weeks the attack has feasted on minnows and. with Vickery in career-best form, it finally has been clicking in to place. But, as any devotee of the Squiggle will tell you, Richmond is a super-defensive side, currently rating better than the Swans and Fremantle, but with a a bit of work to do to get its attack into contention.

What complicates it is that the stat which follows the statement appears to refer to the attack - so if what the Preview is saying is that both teams have problems with their attack, then I agree, though if I was to enter full Bigfooty mode I could point out that Daniher's mate McBean is coming a second (by one goal) in the VFL's goal kicking and can't break into our seniors. But I wouldn't be so crass ;). Also, I still agree that this is our weakest line.

Regarding our defence - you have left out Grimes whom we knew was going to be available- but to your credit, the point about Bachelor being forced to take the resting ruckman explains why Morris, who (for all his spudness this year) was excellent back in his old role of small defender last week, has been dropped for Grimes.
Fair enough, I was going off statistics mostly.

I didn't know about Grimes and just assumed that Batchelor would be the 3rd tall, but happy to be proven wrong.

Okay, now that I've seen the teams I can crap on about how not including KAV and picking Conor is absolute bs.

He has not earned his spot. KAV has. Jesus, playing seniors for Essendon is becoming as insignificant as the baggy green

We're picking a guy who may or may not be a potato (McKenna) over a guy that is a guaranteed potato (Kavanagh)

Not to mention that they play completely different roles, so Kavanagh would be taking someone else's spot.

Fair enough, I was going off statistics mostly.

I didn't know about Grimes and just assumed that Batchelor would be the 3rd tall, but happy to be proven wrong.
That would be the younger brother of the Melbourne Grimes. The Melbourne Grimes was a first round draft pick. We got ours in the PSD. Whatever transpires between out two clubs there is always the example of Melbourne to give us heart.

Why don't they try Ambrose in a key defender role? Is he too slow? Doesn't read the play well?

Calm down people, Chappy in for a farewell match and giving Mckenna a taste of it was always going to mean Edwards would miss out, when you add two small forwards then you have to take at least one out.

How could you know? Performances on the weekend are only 1 part of being selected.. attitude to training, responding to areas the coaches ask you to improve in, work ethic ect...
Corra said connor has more sessions than anyone else (obviously cos hes new to game) and connor has had as many impressive VFL performances this year that kav has if you ask me.... (kav did has solid AFL game tho)

I think it's unfair to suggest 1 person has or has not earned their spot when all we see is 1 aspect.

McKenna is starting on the ground right? (im not sure if those listed on ground can be sub or not)

We're picking a guy who may or may not be a potato (McKenna) over a guy that is a guaranteed potato (Kavanagh)

Not to mention that they play completely different roles, so Kavanagh would be taking someone else's spot.
Respectfully I disagree. If we played Kavanagh on ball as apposed to a pseudo forward we would get better results.

What's Jake Melksham, a sweet potato?

That would be the younger brother of the Melbourne Grimes. The Melbourne Grimes was a first round draft pick. We got ours in the PSD. Whatever transpires between out two clubs there is always the example of Melbourne to give us heart.

Think he meant he didn't know he was back this week.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back