Preview Essendon vs St. Kilda, Docklands, 05/07/15 @ 1:10 PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooney in the guts, Jobe in the pocket, zakka on the flank, Hurley forward - surely we win this...!!!??

Steinberg Gwilt Baguley
Hibberd Hooker Heppell
Goddard Cooney Dempsey
Zakka Hurley Z.Merrett
Watson Daniher Winders

McKernan Stanton Melksham

INT: Gleeson J.Merrett Kavanagh O'Brien

The Foxtel feed, with C7 commentary?
All 7 have to do is downscale it to standard definition, and they're good to go - apparently no one cares about HD anyway, according to C7!

The Foxtel feed, with C7 commentary?
All 7 have to do is downscale it to standard definition, and they're good to go - apparently no one cares about HD anyway, according to C7!
I'd say it would be full Channel 7 coverage.

Would have liked to see Giles brought in so we could keep Hurley back - really worried about Riewoldt and Bruce. However, we do need to score more and like it or not Hurley is the best option we have.

Think the selection committee deserve some credit for persisting with NOB and Kav and giving Steinberg a crack - if it was a GF I'm sure Hird would have picked Howlett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he means that Hurley kicking a bag will encourage people to scream for his permanent move back up the ground.. could be wrong though.
Yeah I know what he meant.

But if he kicks a bag and moves forward, then it's not a bad thing. We've been screaming since Lloyd's retirement that our forward line is terrible. If we can improve it, then I say let's do it.

I know Hurley is a better defender than forward, but if Hurley is a better forward than Carlisle, then make the move. Years ago I was in the Hurley back, Carlise forward bandwagon. I saw that Carlisle had better hands than Hurley and Hurley had better field kicking than Carlisle. Right now though, Carlisle isn't performing well in tandem with Daniher. Our defence is strong and Hurley is a part of that, no doubt. But I have confidence in Hooker, Steinberg and Gwilt to keep it together while Carlise is out. When Carlise returns from injury, then assess the situation. If Hurley is kicking butt, then move Carlsle back. If Hurley hasn't fired a shot, move him back.

Last edited:
It's absolutely stupid. There is no reason to ever wish one of our own players doesn't do well.

Would you rather have an excellent key defender who is capable of kicking a bag as a forward or an excellent key defender who isn't capable of kicking a bag as a forward?

Nobody said that.

Hurley forward isn't a long term solution.
I don't see why it can't be long term. I know he has battled in the past to get involved as a forward and the whole injury thing also. He has that C U next Tuesday that our forward line is craving, he has had some great games as forward.
Can someone explain to me the theory that as a forward he is more likely to get injured? I know he's had a lot more continuity in his game since moving back but is it not possible that it just coincided with him getting fitter and his body getting right?

I don't see why it can't be long term. I know he has battled in the past to get involved as a forward and the whole injury thing also. He has that C U next Tuesday that our forward line is craving, he has had some great games as forward.
Can someone explain to me the theory that as a forward he is more likely to get injured? I know he's had a lot more continuity in his game since moving back but is it not possible that it just coincided with him getting fitter and his body getting right?
It's due to having dodgy wrists.

Nobody said that.

Hurley forward isn't a long term solution.

Ive been wondering for a while now, the club has consistently stated that JD is a young forward, that needs time, and more recently the club has acknowledged the need for a more experienced/strong companion alongside him to help out. Something to work on in the off-season I realise that, but Carlisle obviously aint your buseling forward type, where-as Hurley can be.
Mathematically we can make the finals, but the reality is we have not been in the race since round 4.

Now that Carlisle is out with injury, it looks like Hurley will go forward.
I will be watching with interest the progression and what impact Joey has for the rest of the year.

Im starting to think our selection committee is alot like the Australian Cricket team selection panel.
I hope thats not the case.

Lets just remember...

Could Easily go 1-11 into the bye. Easily.

Could go 1-12

Could finish 5-17.

Easily.

Man, I remember when you were saying we were a legitimate chance to get to Round 18 in 2013 at 16-0.

How times have changed!

And my prediction was almost correct if my memory serves me right. Didn't we go like 13-3?

That we did. 13-3, as good as it was, wasn't quite 16-0 though! ;)

Let's hope you're several orders of magnitude on wrong on both 1-12 and 5-17. :)

Well then, we'll either go 2-20 or 8-14.

I was 3 off again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back