• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
I've mentioned this elsewhere but the most important thing prior to this game is...

RECOVERY.
RECOVERY.
RECOVERY.

Short break and coming off a 34 degree day in Perth. Not ideal.

I believe the boys are due to depart Perth at about 7:30pm WST so should be arriving back in Melbourne after midnight.

If we can do this well then we win.

We were bad today against a quality opponent on their home turf in Fremantle... but the Saints were nothing short of abysmal at home against the winless Crows. They displayed the form that many expected them to show in 2014.

We've won 5 of our last 6 against the Saints but this could be one of the most important games.

Discuss.

MOD NOTE: eth-dog, rather than have two separate previews, I've quoted your post from the other thread here as this thread was created first.

Observations:
Essendon: Copped a beating by the second best team in the AFL, going into a game with no ruckmen was foolhardy against the biggest player in the AFL. The Essendon midfielders turned the ball over too often and Fremantle made them pay.

St. Kilda: Copped a heavy beating from Adelaide. As it was mostly on the same time as Essendon's match there's not much I can say about the game however.

Head to head (last 5): Essendon 4-1 St. Kilda

Sportsbet odds:

Essendon: $1.10
St. Kilda: $6.60

Possible sides:

Essendon vs St. Kilda

B: Gwilt - Delaney - Geary
F: Winderlich - Daniher - Hardingham
HB: Fisher - Bruce - Dempster
HF: Melksham - Carlisle - Myers
C: Montagna - Hayes - C Jones
C: Stanton - Watson - J Merrett
HF: Templeton - Riewoldt - Dunstan
HB: Hibberd - Hurley - Gleeson
F: Stanley - Lee - Savage
B: Baguley - Hooker - Fletcher
R: Hickey - Armitage - Steven
R: Ryder - Heppell - Hocking
I: Curren - Ray - Billings
I: Howlett - Zaharakis - Ashby
S: Newnes
S: Chapman

St. Kilda defence vs Essendon forward line

St. Kilda's defence was the big issue last year, specifically their key defence, and during the offseason they recruited Bruce and Delaney to solve that. Essendon on the other hand struggled in the attacking third of the grond last year but Carlisle switching with Hurley into the forward line, Daniher's and in particular Hardingham's improvement as well as Chapman have proved to be vital for Essendon. This will prove to be one of the more even contests of the day, with Gwilt and Geary being likely to be accountable for Winderlich and Hardingham

Midfield battle (rucks included)

You'd expect Essendon to really get on top here with the punch that their midfield has shown in the first 3 games of 2014, with various players stepping up at different times throughout the season. The inside brigade of Watson, Heppell, Myers, Howlett, Hocking and Melksham have been prolific so far this season, despite playing without a ruckman in 2 and a half games, added to the outside class of Stanton, Zaharakis, Merrett and the youthful exuberance of Gleeson and Ashby and it's a recipe for success. St. Kilda have lost quite a bit outof their midfield over the past couple of years, but their core of Armitage, Hayes, Steven and Montagna has been solid this season so far. Young guns Luke Dunstan and Eli Templeton have added a spark to their midfield and look to be players of the future. In terms of rucks, Hickey and Ryder should have a good tussle, both would be keen to get forward on their opponent to stretch the defence, but the experience of the bomber player should be able to get an advantage for them.

St. Kilda forward line vs Essendon defence

There is one big match-up in this part of the ground, and it's between the skipper for St. Kilda and the man who made the switch from forward to defence in Michael Hurley. Hurley had his colours lowered by Matthew Pavlich last week and will come up against a rampant Riewoldt this week, so it'll be a big test for a guy who hates losing and will want to hit back, especially against the best key forward in the competition. The other match-ups will be interesting as well, Hooker's been excellent in defence and will probably zone off Lee in his first game back, with Fletcher taking Stanley, who's improved this season so far again after a year in defence. St. Kilda have no real stay at home small forwards anymore unless Milera or Dennis-Lane get a gig here, so it'll be interesting to see how Baguley plays as well

X-Factor players

Jackson Merrett has excelled this season as he's moved up the ground into the midfield, adding class, speed and poise in a midfield that already has that in spades. His kicking skills have been a standout as well, looks to be breaking out this season. He's a player to watch in the future

Clint Jones has surprised many this season with the way he's playing, myself included, and has provided a real spark for the Saints. His run and carry has been important, even though he still butchers the ball, but an underestimation could be embarrassing for the bombers.

Key area for each side:

Essendon:
  • Movement. Again, oftentimes during the Freo game the forwards were stagnant which lead to the bomb and McPharlin/Johnson cutting it off.
St. Kilda:
  • Learning. There'll be a few kids out there today, the important thing for them to learn off their more experienced teammates and players like Watson and Winderlich.

My tip

Two sides coming off big losses, but the home side just looks too far ahead in their development to worry about losing this, Essendon by 72 points

Last edited by a moderator:
Recovery tonight will be very important.

Need to split the massive amount of returning players over the two weeks. Myers, Chapman, Fletcher, Ryder, Ambrose all potential ins by ANZAC Day, need to stagger them I would say, especially given some guys might struggle to back up twice with 6 day turn arounds.

We will smash st kilda. That is not arrogance.. but just fact. St Kilda got the dream start with Melbourne first up and pulled out a win.. they then go to back up against GWS and just got the win.. they got trounced in WC after half time and Adelaide just tore them a new one.

After a false start.. they are now tracking exactly as predicted.. straight to the bottom of the table..

Put it this way.. if we lose to St Kilda we might as well start tanking.. they are s**t.

Need to split the massive amount of returning players over the two weeks. Myers, Chapman, Fletcher, Ryder, Ambrose all potential ins by ANZAC Day, need to stagger them I would say, especially given some guys might struggle to back up twice with 6 day turn arounds.

Yep need to see it as 1 round split into two weeks.. if you get my drift.

Plan out both starting 22's.. and work from there.

We will smash st kilda. That is not arrogance.. but just fact. St Kilda got the dream start with Melbourne first up and pulled out a win.. they then go to back up against GWS and just got the win.. they got trounced in WC after half time and Adelaide just tore them a new one.

After a false start.. they are now tracking exactly as predicted.. straight to the bottom of the table..

Put it this way.. if we lose to St Kilda we might as well start tanking.. they are s**t.

wouldnt mind paying voldt some extra attention.... juuuust incase.

who takes him? Hurley? Hooker chopping in?

wouldnt mind paying voldt some extra attention.... juuuust incase.

who takes him? Hurley? Hooker chopping in?
Considering he is the only key forward they have.. play both on him! :D

Personally I would have Hurley on him.. do the same job as he did on Pav tonight.. with Hooker staying put down back to cut off any long entries.

Don't mind Roo touching 30 touches up on the wing.. he has no one to kick it to forward anyway.

like him or loath him, you have to respect him...

as the years have gone by my opinion of him has grown. With his degenerative knee he has had every right to tail off into medicority, ala jono brown but he has remained as talismanic as ever. Just a huge hearted performer who drags his side into positions they probably should never get into single handedly some times. Just a constant target that never stops running.

Watch Meister pull one out of his ass. Take 12 marks & kick 4 goals.

In all seriousness. We need to show St Kilda some respect and go at it from the opening bounce. Brisbane/GWS games at Etihad come to mind. None of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hocking to Steven. Armitage looks spent and had minimal influence on the game today.

Hooker to Riewoldt inside F50, Fletch can follow him out. Ryder should be back this week, same with a number of others.

Must win.

Posted this in the review thread but it's worthy of being here as well:

Bomber says at least 4 other players were sick during the week. Hurls and Zaka being two of them.

Goddard "Might just miss a week or maybe even play next week" I'm going to go with him being out.

Interesting thoughts from the coaches after the Fremantle game and looking ahead to next week... few guys were ill during the week which probably isn't conducive to maximum performance.

Also some news on the Saints injury situation...

ST KILDA'S dirty day at Etihad Stadium has been compounded by the potential loss of young midfielder Nathan Wright for up to three months and the possible unavailability of David Armitage for next week's clash with Essendon...

The 11-gamer was on crutches and in a moon boot after the game with the preliminary diagnosis a fibula fracture that will likely rule him out of a large chunk of his second season...

Armitage had stitches in a nasty laceration on his knee in the third quarter but was cleared of structural damage.

Still, the Saints' on-baller remains in doubt for Easter Saturday night's clash with Essendon at Etihad Stadium...

"He's a 50-50 for next week with six days until we play the Bombers."

http://www.afl.com.a...s-unlucky-break

St Kilda Injury List (10/4/14) -

Sam Fisher (hamstring) 1 week
Sam Gilbert (foot) 4-6 weeks
Tom Hickey (calf) 1 week
Lewis Pierce (back) 5 weeks
Adam Schneider (back) test

Last edited:
If Chappy has another week off then I wouldn't mind seeing Fantasia. Looks to have a real ability to hit the scoreboard. Reminded me of Stephen Milne a bit in the VFL. Just the one game against a lesser team.

Also would definately give BJ the week off.

Goddard might be right for next week.. yeah right.. it's probably a three week injury at least.

I hate the fact that our club routinely lies to us. I know some on here think it is ok.. cause it helps the team or something.. I just find it distasteful.

I really wish they wouldn't lie.

Goddard might be right for next week.. yeah right.. it's probably a three week injury at least.

I hate the fact that our club routinely lies to us. I know some on here think it is ok.. cause it helps the team or something.. I just find it distasteful.

I really wish they wouldn't lie.
Regardless of if he is supposedly right next week I'd rest him up for ANZAC Day just to be extra safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back