NCAA Etihad to Host PAC 12 Bowl Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Woo Hoo cant wait!

Woodson balmainforever get ready and you know we are going!

:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk: :D

GG you coming down?? Myself and Woodson need to show the hospitality back that you showed us when we visited NSW and you have over 12Mths to organize it FFS!!

So in all honesty NO is not an answer! ;)

hmm...if the timing is right, boxing day test AND a bowl game.

sounds like a decent reason to fly over to Melbourne.

Pfffft, its *in reason to LIVE in Melbourne.

There. With bells on. Maybe literally if it got me on TV.

Pfffft, its ****in reason to LIVE in Melbourne.

There. With bells on. Maybe literally if it got me on TV.
There is my reason to be there.

So I don't have to look at Fuey on TV

(Log in to remove this ad.)

r1vCuYI.gif

and with west coast teams it could be a 2PM Kick off. It also makes me hope Stanford are a .500 team in the 2016 season so they could get the big.

Then i hope they have the roof open since it will be mid summer in the afternoon. It would be the first time i would go the Etihad since 2009 since i hate watching footy there.

This is awesome, only downside is that it's not this year. :(

and with west coast teams it could be a 2PM Kick off. It also makes me hope Stanford are a .500 team in the 2016 season so they could get the big.

Then i hope they have the roof open since it will be mid summer in the afternoon. It would be the first time i would go the Etihad since 2009 since i hate watching footy there.

December 20-30 In Australia, roof will certainly be closed because of the heat.

Fox Sports making it sound like it's not a done deal at all:

AS momentum grows in Etihad’s ploy to bring an American college football game to Australia next year, the stadium’s boss is already tipping it to be a sellout.

“We expect it to be the hottest ticket in town. There’s no reason it shouldn’t sell out,” Etihad Stadium CEO Paul Sergeant told Fox Sports Australia.

Even for a 40,000 capacity stadium, to pack it out for a college game between December and January is a bold prediction. During those same months cricket is king, the A-League is in full swing and Australian Open tennis hits Melbourne.

American football fans down under have been buzzing since news broke earlier this year that Melbourne could host a college bowl game in 2016, in what would be an Australian first.

Negotiations developed significantly this month, to the point where Aussie college fans are now able to register their interest on ticketing website, Ticketmaster.

Sergeant said the event hasn’t officially been confirmed on the college bowl schedule, but believes it’s not far off.

“Nothing is ever guaranteed until its signed,” Sergeant said. “We are well down the path. We’ve been to the States twice. We’ve met them in Dallas, met them in Phoenix, and people have been over here. We’ve been working on this now for a year and a half.

“We’d like to think we’ll get there in the next six to eight weeks.”

College bowls are essentially end of season exhibition games and serve as a novelty bookend to the year. Currently 42 bowl games take place across America at the end of the NCAA football season, involving teams from all conferences. In the past, overseas college games have taken place in the Bahamas, Canada and Ireland. Australia hosted an exhibition NFL game in 1999.

For the planned Melbourne game, organisers are negotiating the event to involve two teams from the Pac-12 and Mountain West conferences. Some of the biggest stars in the NFL came from teams within these conferences, such as Super Bowl winners Aaron Rodgers (California), Rob Gronkowski (Arizona) and Troy Polamalu (USC).

Sergeant wants to make an Australian bowl game a regular destination in a multi-year deal too, not just a one-and-done experiment.

“How our discussions are going at the moment is to make a long-term commitment, one of many, certainly an initial four years to start off with but not a one-off,” Sergeant said.

Privately financed at present, Sergeant is continuing discussions with government, promoting it as a week-long festival of American football.

“This has really put us in the shop window of American sport and not just as a venue, but Melbourne as a city, and Australia as a country.

“The fantastic facilities we have to offer, they are world class, and people will go away with that feedback and start to spread that word.”

The response from US college football officials has been promising.

“The necessities for a bowl game seem to be in place, including a solid management team,” Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson told ESPN earlier this month. “A stadium, local support and an appetite for college football.”

The biggest obstacle for a Melbourne bowl game is the logistical nightmare that such an event would present. Sergeant acknowledged it isn’t going to be easy.

“There’s 110 players per team, there’s the bands, the cheerleaders, the whole entourage is somewhere between 500 and 800 people,” Sergeant said. “Travel, accommodation, passports, feeding these guys — you ought to see what they eat! The sheer logistics around it is a massive exercise in itself.”

But Sergeant is still confident he’s the man to bring what he calls the “razzmatazz” of college football to Australia.

“It’s colourful, its exciting, it’s very competitive, it’s got all the elements that make an event a spectacular,” he said.

“We want to make a party.”

It wont be a done deal till early next year when the NCAA commission it and sign off on the sponsors. Everything else can be worked out before then. but the game wont happen for more than 18 months.

But i dont think it will be a sell out because the less informed fan will think "ohh its just college football not NFL so i dont care"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back