ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
The qualifiers for Euro 2016 are upon us, starting September 7th. There's a new edition this time round. Non FIFA member Gibraltar, a UK territory off with a pop. of 30,000 or so, will play in the qualifiers. Here's the groups;

A:
Netherlands
Czech Republic
Turkey
Latvia
Iceland
Kazakstan

B:
Bosnia
Belgium
Israel
Wales
Cyprus
Andorra

C:
Spain
Ukraine
Slovakia
Belarus
Macedonia
Luxembourg

D:
Germany
Ireland
Poland
Scotland
Georgia
Gibraltar

E:
England
Switzerland
Slovenia
Estonia
Lithuania
San Marino

F:
Greece
Hungary
Romania
Finland
Northern Ireland
Faroe Islands

G:
Russia
Sweden
Austria
Montenegro
Moldova
Liechtenstein

H:
Italy
Croatia
Norway
Bulgaria
Azerbaijan
Malta

I:
Portugal
Denmark
Serbia
Armenia
Albania

How many team's from each group qualify?

Top team goes automatically through and runner up goes into qualifiers or something like that?

Group winners, runner ups and the best third placed team from the 9 groups automatically qualify.

The other 8 third placed teams play each other in playoffs to qualify. Too easy to qualify this time around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I woke up, watched the first half before Roy Hodgson once again succeeded in putting me into a coma with what has become a typically boring performance by his England side. What you've got is a team where players are creating scoring opportunities in spite of Hodgson's system, not because of it and there is no reason why that should be the case based on the attacking talent at his disposal. Henderson, Wilshere, Chamberlain, Sterling, Rooney and Sturridge should be putting 4 or 5 away against teams like Norway.

However, it seems that yet again the individual brilliance of Sterling (MOTM again) and Sturridge is the only thing keeping this team afloat (and Hodgson in a job).

Edit: Reading a lot of reviews of the game that England looked far, far better and more fluid once Rooney was subbed off (and after I fell asleep!). Anyone watch the final 20 minutes of the game?

Last edited:
However, it seems that yet again the individual brilliance of Sterling (MOTM again) and Sturridge is the only thing keeping this team afloat (and Hodgson in a job).

hqdefault.jpg

*Essentially I agree, though

Just out of curiosity - I was wondering the other day - does anyone have a stat or know where you could get the stat for an International match involving the most players from a single club?

Arsenal had 8 players years back in a France v England game (2000)

Pires, Wiltord, Vieira, Petit and Henry for France - Seaman, Keown and Adams for England

Juventus, Bayern, Barcelona and Real Madrid all at some point would have made up the bulk of their national teams.

I woke up, watched the first half before Roy Hodgson once again succeeded in putting me into a coma with what has become a typically boring performance by his England side. What you've got is a team where players are creating scoring opportunities in spite of Hodgson's system, not because of it and there is no reason why that should be the case based on the attacking talent at his disposal. Henderson, Wilshere, Chamberlain, Sterling, Rooney and Sturridge should be putting 4 or 5 away against teams like Norway.

Edit: Reading a lot of reviews of the game that England looked far, far better and more fluid once Rooney was subbed off (and after I fell asleep!). Anyone watch the final 20 minutes of the game?
If you mean they went from completely rubbish to just rubbish then yes they improved. It was a drab game throughout think the praise would have been for the Sturridge-Welbeck partnership which did look a bit better

More pearls of wisdom from Roy Hodgson

Manager Hodgson said: "We'll find it hard to bring attendances back to very high levels because the opponents we're playing won't excite the public."

"Two shots on target? Don't give me that one.
"Don't hit me with statistics. When we had that much possession, and you talk about two shots on target?
"What about all the shots they threw themselves in front of?

"We enjoyed some positive moments, some good movement and good play. All the things I wanted I thought I saw for large periods of the game."

dumbfounded-reaction-gif.gif

Arsenal had 8 players years back in a France v England game (2000)

Pires, Wiltord, Vieira, Petit and Henry for France - Seaman, Keown and Adams for England

Juventus, Bayern, Barcelona and Real Madrid all at some point would have made up the bulk of their national teams.

No matter since Boyd, Long and Snodgrass won't be playing! :p

Back