Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick question for anyone who has travelled to Munich and participated in Oktoberfest.

How/what is the best way to book it. It seems almost impossible to book by yourself without going through a tour company. Any recommendations?

Any help appreciated!
Not sure why you think it is impossible. Oktoberfest is a free event.
I went last year and booked a hostel within walking distance to the grounds via hostelworld.
I booked in late May which was 4 months before the event and didn't have any problem with availability. My booking was in the 2nd week so maybe that is why I didn't have any issues. If you want to book specifically for the opening weekend, you probably need to do that in advance.

If you go through a tour company, you will get ripped off with the cost of accommodation. Much cheaper to book direct yourself.

Hi guys I’m after some advice about a short solo trip I’m planning on doing. I have roughly a month to travel in central Europe and I need some help.

I’m planning on flying out of Manchester around the 4th of May (Not yet booked) and landing in Budapest, then travelling to Bratislava, Vienna, Prague and Berlin and then back in London to meet a friend.

Do you think I have time to add in any other destinations or would it be too rushed?

I’m after your knowledge on:

How many days in each city

Cheap ways to see sites and explore each location, also party scenes.

Cheapest method of travelling to and from places

And general tips and hints such as social/party Hostel recommendations etc. (I don’t have big budget so cheapest is best)

Also open to changes of cities or adding in new destinations. Note that I need to be back in London before the 4th of June

A month is a good length of time for the cities you mentioned, but i've also heard that there isn't a great deal to do in Bratislava and that people have seen what they've wanted to see in a day or 2. 4 days minimum for me in Prague, Berlin, Budapest and Vienna to get around a few of the major touristy bits. Zagreb, Krakow and Munich are all close-ish by that could be added to your itinery (I really recommend Krakow though). Seems like you'll be following a particular path where the cities aren't too far from each other as well as being on a budget EuroLines buses might be the way to go.

Budapest is pretty cheap, awesome place.

Couple of days in Vienna is plenty. Hapsburg for half a day, wander around the city for the rest.

I didn't make it to Krakow but have heard good things, otherwise Dresden is quite nice, same with Leipzig but you wouldn't want to spend more than a day or two in either. There's always Brussels and Bruges of you fancy something different too

Depends on what you want out of it tbh. I'm more of a see everything tourist rather than getting on the piss so I spent most of my time on Prague checking out Gothic buildings and the castle district.

If you plan to catch the eurostar then book it asap

haha brilliant advice, sounds just like me...went on a backpackers trip in 2004 after the GF. Never returned again (yeah did return to sell my property etc etc). Just cannot live in Australia anymore..find it too boring.

Im returning in 40 hours... And not by choice. Im leaving my fiance, though she is coming back in April.

OK so i might try and fit in Dresden and Krakow into the trip, they sound pretty cool.

Since my travel path is pretty much set out do you guys recommend i buy myself a Eurail pass or should i just wing it and buy overnight buses/trains when i am there?, im not too concerned about comfort, time, etc i just want to save money really.

OK so i might try and fit in Dresden and Krakow into the trip, they sound pretty cool.

Since my travel path is pretty much set out do you guys recommend i buy myself a Eurail pass or should i just wing it and buy overnight buses/trains when i am there?, im not too concerned about comfort, time, etc i just want to save money really.
If you're THAT confident in your path and days you ca prebuy tickets up to 120 days in advance. That will save you a tonne. But no real freedom to just change plans

Germany will be the real killer price wise. But euroline buses are cheap and fixed.

Alternatively, ou could always try out blablacar... Online carpooling website and it's the cheapest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im returning in 40 hours... And not by choice. Im leaving my fiance, though she is coming back in April.

Harsh. What happened? Visa s**t?

Yep 2 year fight to get approved and rejected. Was doing some work but dried up so heading back for 6 or so months

Ahhh, harsh. Sorting visa s**t myself at the moment. Is typical bureaucratic dramas.

Yep 2 year fight to get approved and rejected. Was doing some work but dried up so heading back for 6 or so months
I got meself an admission into a german university.Free of cost and get a 2 year visa.Plenty of time to look for work in the mean time.I managed to find an employer willing to sponsor me in those 2 years.Must say i got really lucky and had the skills that were in demand in countries like Switzerland.Getting married was always an option but we did not want to, cause of visa purpose only.Australia is just so damn far away from the action!!

Goodluck to you Dicey, i hope we can have a beer together in Europe some day when you return.

Cheers

Thanks guys appreciate it. Were gonna get married in oz, then that sorts out my visa for France and Europe in General. Then once we get back here we will sort out a marriage defacto visa for her. We ran out of time this time for her... Can take 9 months... So hopefully by mid 2015 we will both be able to work and live in either country.... 3.5 years later.

Thanks guys appreciate it. Were gonna get married in oz, then that sorts out my visa for France and Europe in General. Then once we get back here we will sort out a marriage defacto visa for her. We ran out of time this time for her... Can take 9 months... So hopefully by mid 2015 we will both be able to work and live in either country.... 3.5 years later.
Some countries can be a pain in the arse even when it comes to marriage visa. Switzerland asked me to show 36k CHF in my bank account or a work contract equivalent..which will guarantee that i wont be on public support after they grant me residency.I do not know about France but do your homeowork.

So I'm going to play cricket overseas for the summer, then planning on traveling indefinitely. Been to EU before with the ex, but now will be on my own so I'm pretty excited. Pretty confident in doing it solo after the last time.

Not really looking at booking accom in advance, but it's not really peak so should be ok.

Any tips hints etc would be sweet. Only read first page of this thread and already plenty if ideas.

Pretty keen to check out Eastern Europe, as I've seen a few major central/west cities. Need to check Spain for a bit and Germany. Also +1 to whoever mentioned Capri. ******* beautiful. And the coastal town if sorrento is amazing. Will check out pompei again as that blew my mind.

In general though, just looking at 1. Getting pissed. 2. Women 3. Chilling. Not too fussed if I miss the big sights, as in a way last time they were a tad underwhelming, and the best times were just getting on the piss and taking it as it comes. Pretty much just written off the 6 months through that stage of the year, and wherever it takes me, it takes me!

Pretty keen on suggestions of placed like Capri that take breath away, rather that typical sightseeing (I.e. Paris, Rome).

Berlin, Prague, munich, Budapest at the minimum then... Particularly Budapest, so chilled, so cheap. Berlin is my favourite city in the world and they know how to party (and it's cheap), Prague for more partying even cheaper with lookers everywhere, Munich for the drinking culture though it isn't cheap. If you could meet some locals along the way, Istanbul is great and cheap. This is ignoring the obvious Slovak countries ie Croatia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Berlin, Prague, munich, Budapest at the minimum then... Particularly Budapest, so chilled, so cheap. Berlin is my favourite city in the world and they know how to party (and it's cheap), Prague for more partying even cheaper with lookers everywhere, Munich for the drinking culture though it isn't cheap. If you could meet some locals along the way, Istanbul is great and cheap. This is ignoring the obvious Slovak countries ie Croatia.

Cheap, drinking and hot ladies. Where do I sign up?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back