Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

39 days and counting!!

Still all I know is Im landing in Prague and taking off from Barca with 6 weeks to do what ever the * I want!

But I am thinking..

Prague
Budapest
Krakow
Berlin
Amsterdam
Barcelona

Thinking possibly 5 days in each place which gives me a few days to find somewhere else and also transit time.

Anyone know of some good party hostels in Prague. Thinking i'll stay in Grandino in Budapest.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm in the process of getting my EU passport but it's taking its time. In regards to cities it's pretty much captol's and big cities on the way, which will include half day-day stopovers. Shortlist right now is at

Prague
Berlin
Hamburg
Amsterdam
London
Paris
Bordeaux
Madrid
Barcelona
Marseille
Geneva
Zurich
Vienna
Budapest
Zagreb
Dubrovnik
Athens

How long are you staying in Berlin ? We had 2 days and felt that was plenty . I rated Munich highly amongst all cities in Europe so would recommend there , you've also got the Bavarian alps right nearby which are worth the trip

I wouldn't go to Bordeaux unless you have too . We stopped over there for a few days and it was underwhelming

Madrid was the same , better off IMO spending more time in Barcelona or find another town/city to experience Spain . We by fluke stayed in a place called Almeria which was a base for the tour of spain, it was a gem of a place

Shows how subjective travel is , its not as if I didn't enjoy Berlin but for 2 days I saw what I wanted too and rating it against other places I went it wasn't at the top

Only tip I have is for Norway - don't buy a sexy young chick a cocktail, unless she is over 21.

You can drink beer and wine at 18 there, but higher alcoholic content beverages are restricted to over 21's.

I learnt this the hard way, forking over god knows how many kroner for a round at the table, only to have bar staff remove said round :)

Oh, and visit Bergen - best fish market in the world.

And eat some reindeer too - I wrestled with ordering whale (When in Rome etc....) but didn't. Glad I didn't too.

39 days and counting!!

Still all I know is Im landing in Prague and taking off from Barca with 6 weeks to do what ever the **** I want!

But I am thinking..

Prague
Budapest
Krakow
Berlin
Amsterdam
Barcelona

Thinking possibly 5 days in each place which gives me a few days to find somewhere else and also transit time.

Anyone know of some good party hostels in Prague. Thinking i'll stay in Grandino in Budapest.
That sounds fantastic. Very similar to one of my trips, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I ended up living in Berlin for a year, so also disagree with the poster stating 2 days is long enough to see Berlin. But as someone else pointed out, travel is subjective and everyone has different experiences and gets different things out of cities or countries.

I may suggest that if you want a bit of a break between cities, a place in southern france not far from Barcelona is a little coastal town called Collioure. Super fun, beautiful, small streets. Great place to put your feet up at and relax for a night or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much spending money for 6 weeks? Staying more often than not in hostels
Depends on the city but I was pretty comfortable in places that were typically in the 10-16 euro range.

HirdyLannister is clearly living it up...

Only the best for me when I travelled for 6 months in 2011, I only mentioned conservative prices. Plenty of cheaper ones but imo you are better choosing the highest rated hostels.
(Was picking highly rated hostels as well ;))

¡No wonder you wanted to move all that money over quickly!

Just on that, I used ozforex who were efficient and only charged 1 cent to the dollar. Saved almost a thousand euros.
It is mental how much cheaper they are. You are mad to send money anywhere using a bank. Just on that did your bank get in contact with you to offer you a better deal on future forex transactions?

It is mental how much cheaper they are. You are mad to send money anywhere using a bank. Just on that did your bank get in contact with you to offer you a better deal on future forex transactions?
Yep crazy indeed. Bank didn't get in contact with me at all after I'd moved all my cash over. I was calling them every day for a week at very difficult times for me. It really felt like they were doing everything they could to get in the way of me using ozforex. To the point they were questioning fax samples of my signature, to the sample on my drivers lisence from 5 years ago.

I actually cried when I got it done... Pure joy.

I lived in Switzerland for two years. Where you wanna go what you wanna do? Do you have a big limit on your credit card?

Just on rail passes actually check what the local fares are yes Germany is expensive but for instance assuming you can plan a little France has a significant discount for everything under 26, 14+ days in advance, group of 2, travel mid week if you book online. France being run by the French means that the site last time I looked is only in French but it's not difficult to use, and can be used to book travel across multiple countries. Ditto Thales Eurostar and other national railways. Never found Eurail cheaper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back