Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

It's an interesting debate.
If you're planning on city hopping and only doing 1-3 days in any given place, a tour might actually be a better option. Similar price with more inclusions.
But if you plan on staying in a city for any longer and actually want to see it properly, independent all the way, especially in low season.

So I'm going to Europe and America in Jan/Feb/March and everyone has told me it's cheaper to do our own thing and do hostels rather than tours.

Went to Student Flights today and they tell us it's way too expensive to do your own thing in winter. Are they just telling me that so they can get commission off of me booking a tour or is it actually true? Would much prefer to do hostels so that we can meet more people and have more control, but not if it's going to cost us thousands more.

What are people's experiences with this sort of stuff?

It would be the opposite I'd imagine. Prices for hostels and attractions are often cheaper in the winter as there is less demand. Plus DIY trips are almost always cheaper than tours to begin with. Student flights likely just want to make a commission off you.

It would be the opposite I'd imagine. Prices for hostels and attractions are often cheaper in the winter as there is less demand. Plus DIY trips are almost always cheaper than tours to begin with. Student flights likely just want to make a commission off you.
That's what I thought too. They told me that it's the travel costs, in particuar in America that will be a killer.

But I've heard you can find dirt cheap flights/trains/buses (in particular in Europe).

That's what I thought too. They told me that it's the travel costs, in particuar in America that will be a killer.

But I've heard you can find dirt cheap flights/trains/buses (in particular in Europe).

I can't talk the US but in Europe this is definitely the case. Cheap flights/trains/busses are a speciality.

Hostel/Train Prices are cheaper in winter (Europe) than in Summer because of the smaller amount of people travelling. Of course you need to be careful of places that have events on such as Edinburgh during the New Year period, most towns in the alps etc and thus prices go up during that time. I only really got caught out for NYE and leaving booking a place for the night so late. Also point to point trains are cheaper when they first go on sale, but if you leave them until the last minute the cost can be expensive. Research is king.

I spent last December to February in Europe and managed to keep my costs under $10,000 which I set aside for the trip. Managed to get a flight to Europe for $1500 return mid December, spent $2500 on a mix of hostels and hotels over 2 months and another $1500 on train tickets and tickets to various Soccer/Rugby matches and attractions. That just left money for food, drink, beer and extra activities.

I managed to fit in Edinburgh, Glasgow, London, Birmingham, Frankfurt, Innsbruck, Florence, Lausanne, Paris, Salzburg, Vienna, Bratislava, Prague, Berlin, Stuttgart.

Last edited:

Yeah, low season, there are plenty of options. Hotels as well.

* package tours IMO.

Yeah, low season, there are plenty of options. Hotels as well.

**** package tours IMO.

Agreed, ran into a package tour on my last trip and they looked like Zombies.

With hotels sign up for newsletters/loyalty programmes with most of the well known chains. They have flash sales for 30%, 40% and even 50% advertised to members before they release them to the public and sometimes they don't. They put rooms on sale for most times of the year so always worth looking at for a handful of nights.

Another place to look is via the local tourist office if your in down for an event as they hold back rooms to package with tickets to the event. I booked my tickets to the Innsbruck leg of the Ski Jumping World Cup though the Innsbruck tourist office with my hotel for 2 nights included at cost price, rather than the inflated price that was being asked via normal means.

Just proves that researching and booking in early for key events is the key.

Anyone been to Seville, Spain?
Good place to visit? Good fun for tourists?
Yep, worth a visit. Plenty to see and do. Great food. Great gardens. Nice atmosphere.

We hired bikes, which was a good way to get around and see a few things.

You could spend a few nights there quite comfortably.

Heading to Spain 31st Aug- 11th September, with an internary of Ibiza 3 night, Valencia 2 nights, Madrid 2 nights, Barcelona 4 nights! Any tips or help on getting around, or must sees would be greatly appreciated!

Heading to Spain 31st Aug- 11th September, with an internary of Ibiza 3 night, Valencia 2 nights, Madrid 2 nights, Barcelona 4 nights! Any tips or help on getting around, or must sees would be greatly appreciated!
Sagrada Familia

I haven't been to Spain before but this is what I have planned for Valencia and Barcelona

Valencia
City of Arts and Science
Oceanografic (Aquarium)
La Lonja de la Seda (Silk Exchange)
Plaza del Mercado (Placa del Mercat)
Valencia Cathedral (Seu)
Playa de Malvarrosa (Beach)

Barcelona
La Rambla - Main St
Mercat de Sant Josep de la Boqueria - Market
Paca Reial - Square
Barri Gotic - Medieval city
Casa Batllo - Architectural Building
Passeig de Gracia
La Sagrada Familia - Church
La Pedrera - Architectural Building
La Plaça de Catalunya - City Square
Beach
Montjuïc Castle
Font Magica - Magic Fountain / Night
Camp Nou

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hostel/Train Prices are cheaper in winter (Europe) than in Summer because of the smaller amount of people travelling. Of course you need to be careful of places that have events on such as Edinburgh during the New Year period, most towns in the alps etc and thus prices go up during that time. I only really got caught out for NYE and leaving booking a place for the night so late. Also point to point trains are cheaper when they first go on sale, but if you leave them until the last minute the cost can be expensive. Research is king.

I spent last December to February in Europe and managed to keep my costs under $10,000 which I set aside for the trip. Managed to get a flight to Europe for $1500 return mid December, spent $2500 on a mix of hostels and hotels over 2 months and another $1500 on train tickets and tickets to various Soccer/Rugby matches and attractions. That just left money for food, drink, beer and extra activities.

I managed to fit in Edinburgh, Glasgow, London, Birmingham, Frankfurt, Innsbruck, Florence, Lausanne, Paris, Salzburg, Vienna, Bratislava, Prague, Berlin, Stuttgart.
Okay so a bit of an update. My mate's bailed so I'm going solo most likely for 2 months, perhaps longer between January/March. Did solo last year and was fine, except I did Contiki. Can't be arsed with doing a tour this time as it was full of Aussies and I want to go overseas to make friends from other countries.

Couple of questions for you (or anyone else), hope you can help.

1. Did you wing the trip (ie. book hostels/hotels when you were there rather than in advance)?
2. With the trains, I'm aware England you need to book early but between countries will I be okay to get bus/rail/flights last minute?
3. How'd you go about getting soccer tickets? I think I should be okay to get Liverpool tickets but I want to watch Barcelona, wouldn't mind going to see Bayern Munich, Dortmund etc.
4. Parents told me to yolo and just go away for a year, get some work, life experience etc. Has anyone done this? I heard the pay is rubbish for expats generally, so doubt it's worth it.

Hope you guys can give me some advice!

Okay so a bit of an update. My mate's bailed so I'm going solo most likely for 2 months, perhaps longer between January/March. Did solo last year and was fine, except I did Contiki. Can't be arsed with doing a tour this time as it was full of Aussies and I want to go overseas to make friends from other countries.

Couple of questions for you (or anyone else), hope you can help.

Nice time of year to travel, happy to answer your questions as best I can.

1. Did you wing the trip (ie. book hostels/hotels when you were there rather than in advance)?

Booked in advance which was good for the first few days and the Christmas/New Year Period but after that I kinda wished I had the flexibility to wing it a bit more in terms of cutting a stay in a city short or extending it. I suppose because I packed so many sporting events in I had no option but towards the end I wished I could of made a few changes.

2. With the trains, I'm aware England you need to book early but between countries will I be okay to get bus/rail/flights last minute?

Rail opens up 90 days before day of travel and is generally more expensive the closer you book. However that isn't to mean you can't leave it until late to book. Deals come up and you rather be flexible in getting them than get cheap seats that take hours to travel. Get the apps for your phone for the train companies in the countries your travelling to and keep and eye out on prices. Also helps to check the prices for what it would cost to travel between say Munich and Berlin today would be.

3. How'd you go about getting soccer tickets? I think I should be okay to get Liverpool tickets but I want to watch Barcelona, wouldn't mind going to see Bayern Munich, Dortmund etc.

Via the club websites. Most clubs open the ticket sales early enough that if you plan ahead you can grab a ticket, just need to figure out how to register in a different language. Barca you can buy tickets pretty easy in the days leading up to a match (as long as its not against Real). A Bundesliga match is a much, BUT Bayern and Dortmund tickets are next to impossible to get via the club (Bayern are already sold out for the season) so maybe look at using viagogo. I attended a Stuttgart match on my first trip because I couldn't get a ticket to either and loved it so much I went back last time (also lucked out that Bayern released a small amount of tickets to a German Cup match and got to see them, but I've heard they have stopped doing that:(). PM me if you have any detailed question that I can try and help further with on this point.

4. Parents told me to yolo and just go away for a year, get some work, life experience etc. Has anyone done this? I heard the pay is rubbish for expats generally, so doubt it's worth it.

Can't answer that, but there is a thread lower down this board that covers this

Hope that covers most of your questions

To answer the one question Robbie wasn't able to it depends on what you are doing.

*Working in a pub in the UK? Pay is minimum wage but if you have live in accommodation there's no real rent or food expenses so all of a sudden you're able to save 800-1000 quid a month for travelling.

*Teaching English? Better get a CELTA certification if you don't have an English related degree, otherwise the pay will be pretty poor and you'll mostly tread water.

*Qualified for something else? The pay varies depending on the country, your experience, demand for the role etc. I've managed to find a well paid job by local standards and am supplementing the income doing some freelance work as well.

In a nutshell you won't make as much as you would staying in Aus, but you won't have the same experiences staying in Aus as you would living abroad. It comes down to your willingness to get out and try something new or deciding to put your finances first at the expense of experiences.

First time in Europe in 2016. These are the cities ideally I'd like to get around to. Any suggestions in terms of what should go after one another? I just had a quick look at a map of Europe and roughed it out based on that. What about cities that are similar to other cities that I could avoid? Any cities I must add?

Thanks!

LONDON
PARIS
AMSTERDAM
BERLIN
VIENNA
MILAN
ROME
BARCELONA
COPENHAGEN
OSLO
STOCKHOLM

First time in Europe in 2016. These are the cities ideally I'd like to get around to. Any suggestions in terms of what should go after one another? I just had a quick look at a map of Europe and roughed it out based on that. What about cities that are similar to other cities that I could avoid? Any cities I must add?

Thanks!

LONDON
PARIS
AMSTERDAM
BERLIN
VIENNA
MILAN
ROME
BARCELONA
COPENHAGEN
OSLO
STOCKHOLM

Depends what you're looking to see I suppose. Art? Food? Beach? I have been to Milan a couple of times and would consider it to be pretty overrated as a tourist destination. The only reason I go there personally, is due to relatives. Whilst it does have things really worth seeing, such as the Duomo and Palazzo Sforzesco, I personally think there are better places to visit in Italy.

Rome and Paris are the other cities on your list that I've visited. I really enjoy them, but it's a good idea to also give consideration to other things apart from Eifel Tower and the Colleseum. Definitely visit them, but there's so much more to these cities than monuments. In Rome for instance, I would try and find a good "Trattoria" to eat at if you want to eat real Italian or Roman food. They're usually really cheap, and you will be rolling out the door.

To answer the one question Robbie wasn't able to it depends on what you are doing.

*Working in a pub in the UK? Pay is minimum wage but if you have live in accommodation there's no real rent or food expenses so all of a sudden you're able to save 800-1000 quid a month for travelling.

*Teaching English? Better get a CELTA certification if you don't have an English related degree, otherwise the pay will be pretty poor and you'll mostly tread water.

*Qualified for something else? The pay varies depending on the country, your experience, demand for the role etc. I've managed to find a well paid job by local standards and am supplementing the income doing some freelance work as well.

In a nutshell you won't make as much as you would staying in Aus, but you won't have the same experiences staying in Aus as you would living abroad. It comes down to your willingness to get out and try something new or deciding to put your finances first at the expense of experiences.
Best way to get something through my uni qualifications? Are there any agencies you can go through?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back