Senior List
Nov 4, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Essendon
Have you or do you know anyone who has won tattslotto or a huge amount of money

When I was in Victoria a year ago, I thought about winning it. :cool:

Problem is, this is one of these mutual things that requires my numbers to match with the drawn numbers. Damn. :(

A 3 million dollar draw and I was crossing off the numbers as they were drawn out live, had the first five. Needless to say my ring was puckering a fair bit at that stage. Never got any other numbers, ended up winning a paltry $1600.

A guy who plays in our annual golf tournament, his mum won a $million in first division.

I know 2 people, who've won 1st Division - a bloke, who won $1 Million by himself & a woman, who won $35,000 as part of a syndicate.

Is there anyone else that wouldn't tell anyone except extremely close people if they won it? It's not good for friendships etc...

I bought a quickpick ticket for Tattslotto for the very first (and probably only) time just a few weeks back. It was the $21 million superdraw and I figured I'd give it a shot. I was hoping it would be one of those fairytale wins where you've only ever played once, but you still manage to scoop the Division 1 jackpot. Needless to say the lotto gods were not smiling on me as I didn't get close. I later found out that the winners of Division 1 was a group of ladies at the high-class 'la di da' Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club. Some fairytale :mad:

In terms of actually knowing someone, well my mate's sister one $20k on a single scratchie.

Was working for an Insurance co. when a section of the IT department won 1st div. I think it was $900k by 6. A couple immediately resigned and stuffed the co. for some time. The management then brought in a new edict about syndicates which effectively tried to ban them internally. Of course everyone ignored it and rushed to join up. Unfortunately lightning did not strike twice .. but it really ********ed off the mgt.

Also, long ago when working as a truck driver .. the tea lady, who was universally ignored by all, won the Tatts draw ( $1m ). She immediately left but returned a few weeks later in a new car AND a massive fur coat. It was like the Queen coming to the factory and eveyone came to see .. and interestingly touch her. Even the mgt. had to leave their offices and grovel at her fee ( feat ? ). Very funny. Of couse everyone then said ".. she'll just blow it and be miserable". Shadenfreude.

I once read a study that found only about 1% (yes, 1%!) of big lotto winners were still "financially independent" ten years later. And, given that something like 1% of the population ever reach this level anyway, they would have got there with or without their win.

Tea lady example above is a clear example of what the other 99% of clods do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Supposedly back in the day, when it was probably called something else, my great-grandfather won the jackpot twice. However, the reason why I am not rich now is because he did what any Irish-blooded Australian did, bought a pub, and drank it away.

Leper said:
I once read a study that found only about 1% (yes, 1%!) of big lotto winners were still "financially independent" ten years later. And, given that something like 1% of the population ever reach this level anyway, they would have got there with or without their win.

Tea lady example above is a clear example of what the other 99% of clods do.

Spot on. Most don’t realise how much is actually needed to be financially independent and make stupid investment decisions as they havent done the hard yards. On top of that how much is left after most buy a bigger house, a new car, new clothes, around the world trip and then give some o loved ones.

Even if by some freak chance they still had a mill left over which they handed to a fund manager who averaged 10%, they’d probably struggle with after tax dollars to maintain the new improved lifestyle.

They would do well to read the millionaire next door before spending a cent imo.

The problem is that we all develop into who we are by patrents, teachers etc, and we have a mental perception of ourselves. If we are raised as wealthy individuals we act like it. If we are raised to be frugal then that is how our mindsets work. A sudden inrush of cash can cause considerable grief as a frugal person suddenly goes against their nature. Many blow it all quite quickly and get back to that comfort zone of the 'me I know'. Even with freinds, you can lose them if your circumstances change. Often friendships have a base of perceived equality.
My wife and I are perfect examples of this, both with working class upbringing and now having been fortunate financially...but we still look for the bargains in the supermarket and go to the sale racks in the clothing stores. Crazy really, but hard to get away from what you were raised to be!

My in-laws (father since passed away) won div1 (about a million) in the early 80's. I didn't know them at the time but i'm told they didn't change a thing about their lifestyle, paid off their house and put the rest in the bank. Didn't do a day of paid work (plenty of voluntary though) since and still the old duck's financially secure to this day.

Old italian's have a simple life, just give them their plot of land that they can turn into a vegetable farm and the rest is pretty irrelevent. Helps that they never owned a car i reckon. And to this day i'm getting homemade snitzels with garden grown tomatoes/cucumbers/zuccini in salads, just a bit of vinegar, olive oil, and fresh oregano sprinkled over the top, wog food absolutely rocks.

Frodo said:
The problem is that we all develop into who we are by patrents, teachers etc, and we have a mental perception of ourselves. If we are raised as wealthy individuals we act like it. If we are raised to be frugal then that is how our mindsets work.

The opposite is also true.

I had a friend who won $400 K in the early 1980's.

He was 18.

His father got him a financial manager.

The money was split into 2 trusts of 200K each.

Trust 1 was invested as cash ( you could get 17.5%) and the Other was used to buy property in provincial cities.

When I caught up with him 15 years later , I asked him about his wealth.

His reply

The cash trust is still the same size 200K and getting not so great interest

and as for the property trust

" I bought low cost housing and so I attacted low class tenants, The problem with these tenants was , Instead of belting their missus they kick holes in the walls and doors, so the money from the Cash trust was used on property repairs."

At the mcdonalds i work at the 6 managers and the maintenence guy there had a syndicate and everyweek they would use the same numbers and do the lotto..

1 week the maintenence dude went on holiday and they didnt put it in and funnily enough they would have won. I dont know how much the jackpot was but you would be extremelly dirty if you were any of them...

A good mate of mine won $1 million when he was 24, in a Toohey's New competition at the Melbourne Cup 4 or 5 years ago, by pulling out the lucky gold stubby.

He didn't go too crazy, just paid for the house and car that he had been about to borrow money for with cash, put $600k into a managed fund, kept working, and now earns an extra 40k a year or so in investment returns on top of his salary, owns his house and car, so he's pretty much set for life.

My cousin won 100k on a scratchie in the 90's in Perth WA, a mate's mate won $200,000 on favourite numbers about 2010. 1 of my Aunts won $4000 way back in the 1970's. And a struggling young bloke from our old footy club scored 1st div lotto bout 6/7/8 years ago not sure of prize amount never seen him since, also 2 mate's won half a mill between em ccpl yrs back. So yes ordinary folk do win, except me & my wife same fudge barring numbers since late 80's spend $150:25c per week only ever jagged 5 numbers twice both in Nov 2005 $1400 & $840. Then about ten yrs back my mate bought a Powerball ticket for the first time & FMD he scoop's $9000+ lotto shits me! But you gotta be in it to win it, hey punter's.And back in the late 90's I was 1 of 43 ppl who won $1000 each (I won jack sh*t) worth of lotterywest tickets from a competition with channel 7, and guess what? Only 1 lucky sucker won five grand that was it so $43,000 spent for a 5k return, shithouse odd's hey?

Last edited:
A guy won 9 million on powerball a few years back in Tassie around 2003. Got made redundant from Incat (building Catamarans) and on the way home brought the ticket.

Invested a fair bit and was getting $1,400 interest a day. Best thing about it all is, he didn't change at all and still turned up to social basketball with holes in his track suit. You wouldn't of had any idea he had that money by looking or talking to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back