Every goal gets reviewed

Remove this Banner Ad

830SCD

Senior List
Mar 8, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
If, as the AFL states, every single goal is reviewed why do goal umpires ask for a review when they think it is a goal? Eg goal umpire thinks its a goal but wants to make sure it didnt hit the post. Why is the goal umpire asking for the review when apparently the goal will automatically be reviewed?

The issue is the cameras

The ones we have at some games are pointless yet the big games (hmm normally Victorian teams at the MCG) get the whole deal,

FFS afl spend the money .....it's not like they don't have it ......but my preference is old Skool,

Personally I would like to see replays done away with completely ....part of life is accepting mistakes and errors

If the goal umpire makes a decision and goes with it, and is then reviewed as the ball goes back to the middle, and they're found to have got it wrong, they get penalised an Error In Score on their ranking points.
If they review, regardless of whether they think its a goal or a behind, and regardless of the result, they don't get docked for having the wrong call, because they made the right call using the resources at their disposal. They can still get penalised for being in the wrong position which led to them needing to review (if that is the case) but they won't get penalised for saying "I think it's a goal" when the review comes back as a behind.
The review after each goal is a failsafe.
Gives the Official Score Review Official the opportunity to go "hey can we wait while I check this out properly" if they feel it is necessary. The same goes after a behind, but once play is re-started they can't do it anymore. There's 45 seconds between signalling a goal and the re-start, so they utilise that time to just make 100% sure - even if it means the Goal Umpire has to annul the score and give the right one - which is less desirable than for the umpire to wait, review, then give the correct score.

The issue is the cameras

The ones we have at some games are pointless yet the big games (hmm normally Victorian teams at the MCG) get the whole deal,

FFS afl spend the money .....it's not like they don't have it ......but my preference is old Skool,

Agree, the game last night showed goal line cameras work perfectly, the other cameras do nothing.

Just slightly off topic, but I really think they should come up with a proper signal for the umpire when they want a goal review. At the moment it seems to be an awkward jog to the field umpire after which they get told to go back to the goal line where they belong and have a discussion. Either that or they do a weird nipple twisting move, not sure what that's all about.

Agree, the game last night showed goal line cameras work perfectly, the other cameras do nothing.

Just slightly off topic, but I really think they should come up with a proper signal for the umpire when they want a goal review. At the moment it seems to be an awkward jog to the field umpire after which they get told to go back to the goal line where they belong and have a discussion. Either that or they do a weird nipple twisting move, not sure what that's all about.
Only been the way to initiate conversation/question with the field umpire for 150 years. Just happens more often now. If the goalie just missed the all-clear he'd tell the fieldie, get it, and run back to the line.
The nipple twist is the goal umpire pressing the button to turn his comms mike on so that everyone can hear him. Fieldies' buttons are always on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back