Everybody's random stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

With all due respect and sympathy to the families of the MH370 victims, I can't help but wonder if the tens of millions of dollars being spent on the recovery effort could be better spent on the still living.

It depends on how you look at it. That money could avoid situations where further planes starting falling from the sky, willy-nilly (improvement for those of us still living and hope to be after flying)... but realistically it's not like these governments were going to suddenly turn around and go "you know what, we'll just give this money to improve the plight of the homeless". In Australia's and probably most countries' case, this particular money would largely be coming from defence - plane and satellite usage. I'm ok with that.

Yeah I was reading the these arguments earlier and they do have some weight.

I just don't know if the retrieval of the flight box and potentially some bodies justifies the cost. Anyway, government's waste money every day so I'm picking and choosing a bit here.

Yeah I was reading the these arguments earlier and they do have some weight.

I just don't know if the retrieval of the flight box and potentially some bodies justifies the cost. Anyway, government's waste money every day so I'm picking and choosing a bit here.

I don't have a problem with it....I want the planes I go in to be safe, so I figure if the black box can be found, they might find out what happened and be able to fix the problem.....if it wasn't human intervention, that is.

However, I'm seriously starting to think that plane is nowhere near down here. Thats a mighty big U turn it did if it was a mechanical/technical fault....Can't help but start to feel there is more than the Malayasians are telling us.

Its too weird, and theories abound, so I really really hope they can find it.......somewhere.

Checking out Cosmos now TheBrownDog. Looks like I can get my hands on the first 4 episodes. Don't mind a bit of NDT.

18080453.jpg

Did you know that when he was studying he considered stripping to make ends meet?

Seth MacFarlane was one of the executive producers of this Cosmos. Didn't see that coming. He is a man of many interests.

Yeah, wouldn't have got off the ground without him.

Also..

The description of evolution in the second episode would be breathtakingly effective for somebody that was new or unclear on the concept. His description of the development of the eye is stunning.

Yeah, the eye thing was incredibly well explained and may once and for all provide the complete smack down on one of the most ignorant yet oft-repeated Creationist arguments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, the eye thing was incredibly well explained and may once and for all provide the complete smack down on one of the most ignorant yet oft-repeated Creationist arguments.
From episode 4:

To believe in a universe as young as 6000 or 7000 years old is to extinguish the light from most of the galaxy. Not to mention the light from all the hundred billion other galaxies in the observable universe.

Ye-yah. So gently but firmly years of uninformed counter arguments. That's totally Patrick Stewart doing the voice for William Herschel too. Not surprising if MacFarlane is at the helm.

Ye-yah. So gently but firmly years of uninformed counter arguments. That's totally Patrick Stewart doing the voice for William Herschel too. Not surprising if MacFarlane is at the helm.

Hilarious to hear some creationists groups whinge that Cosmos should be dedicating equal time to "alternative views".

I can only assume they would reciprocate and invite evolutionary biologists and astro physicists into their churches to talk about evolution and the age of the known universe.

Episode 4 was wonderful. Now you're caught up you can join me in dealing with the pain of waiting a week between episodes now :p

******** spoilers.

Some of us didn't know the if the Milky Way and Andromeda were going to collide and were waiting for the actual event. Now I might as well watch Two Broke Girls such is the futility of being.

Seriously, have got the kids (9 & 7) watching Cosmos now and enjoying it. Only done Episode 2 so far. My eldest is particularly taken with science and liked the wolf to dog explanation of evolution and anthropology.

Seriously, have got the kids (9 & 7) watching Cosmos now and enjoying it. Only done Episode 2 so far. My eldest is particularly taken with science and liked the wolf to dog explanation of evolution and anthropology.

It fascinates me that people can easily appreciate how quickly we have carved wolves into all the breeds of dogs in the world just over a few thousand years of guided sexual selection yet so many refuse to accept that natural selection could create all the variety of life on earth with the benefit of 3.5 billion years.

There is no real meaningful leap of logic required to get from the first point to the second once you comprehend how bloody long 3.5 billion years is.

It fascinates me that people can easily appreciate how quickly we have carved wolves into all the breeds of dogs in the world just over a few thousand years of guided sexual selection yet so many refuse to accept that natural selection could create all the variety of life on earth with the benefit of 3.5 billion years.

There is no real meaningful leap of logic required to get from the first point to the second once you comprehend how bloody long 3.5 billion years is.

Still not long enough for Freo to win a flag :p

That is the challenging task if it can be called a task - the thing that boggles my mind is the "more stars in just the known universe than all the grains of sand in all the beaches on Earth" bit - particularly when you have Ian Oliver telling us there is 60,000 kilometres of coastline in our fair country alone - in Coast Australia...keeping in mind the closest star to the Sun is several light years away.

The 100,000 light years across the Milky Way galaxy is a bit of a reach too...even when it comes from Eric Idle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back