Everybody's random stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, who cares.

Why not just let Courier Mail online reader polls determine guilt and sentences from now on then?

There is a reason we have a judiciary that is intentionally separated from politicians and their poll driven urges.

Gerard Baden-Clay is a piece of s**t but he is not worth compromising the principles and ethics of our legal system for. That is the real bottom line.

NietzscheWhenFightingMonstersBeCarefulYouDoNotBecomeOne.jpg

Finally, the media seem to be making a big deal that the Premier won't participate in the rally of protest. How the hell can a government leader be seen to publicly protest a caught decision, particularly while the DPP or attorney general still consider their next move? Be real.

I know. What on earth would happen if a Qld state government politicizes the judicial system? If only we had a recent example to draw upon there... Nope, got nothing.

Why not just let Courier Mail online reader polls determine guilt and sentences from now on then?

There is a reason we have a judiciary that is intentionally separated from politicians and their poll driven urges.

Gerard Baden-Clay is a piece of s**t but he is not worth compromising the principles and ethics of our legal system for. That is the real bottom line.

NietzscheWhenFightingMonstersBeCarefulYouDoNotBecomeOne.jpg

.....either way Murder/Manslaughter, he killed his wife while having an affair, so no, I don't care.

.....either way Murder/Manslaughter, he killed his wife while having an affair, so no, I don't care.

Something that happens to about 2 women a day in Australia, but people only give a s**t when it is a rich/pretty white woman.

Something that happens to about 2 women a day in Australia, but people only give a s**t when it is a rich/pretty white woman.

If each one of those 2 a day were brought to our attention, I feel very sure the vast majority of people would care just as much, whether a pretty/
rich white woman or an ugly/poor black woman. (why you even mentioned it in that way is beyond me, ....but I answered like for like)

Domestic violence is dreadful, but it happens to men as well. That doesn't get the same attention either......but as we are talking about this particular case, I made my thoughts known.

Domestic violence is dreadful, but it happens to men as well. That doesn't get the same attention either......but as we are talking about this particular case, I made my thoughts known.

I think everyone has made their views on Baden-Clay pretty clear, the discussion however is about whether we should overturn or interfere with a legally sound finding in one particular circumstance simply on account of public uproar. To do so would be a very, very dangerous precedent to set.

In order to sustain a murder conviction, the prosecution had to establish beyond reasonable doubt that he actively intended to kill her as a premeditated act. They were unable to do so. The day our legal system makes judgements on anything other than accurate interpretation of the legislation and evidence presented is a day we should all be very, very concerned.

I find it disturbing that people could be so willing to cast this aside on account of the emotions aroused by one specific, high-profile case.

If I have misread what you are saying though, and if your argument is just that Gerard Baden-Clay is a piece of s**t... then we are probably all on the same page on that one.

Last edited:
If each one of those 2 a day were brought to our attention, I feel very sure the vast majority of people would care just as much, whether a pretty/
rich white woman or an ugly/poor black woman. (why you even mentioned it in that way is beyond me, ....but I answered like for like)

I quoted you, but I was talking in general that this case has inspired a lynch mob mentality. I've worked in newsrooms to see chiefs of staff and news directors blatantly ignore what comes up on police scanners in regards to domestic violence issues because it is so common, too depressing and considered a private matter. My statement was more in frustration that the reason there is a massive public interest, in this case, is because her story was told while so many others aren't.

Whatever we think of the media in general, they are all a very shrewd business. Although powerful enough to push an agenda when it suits (or suits their benefactors), day to day reporting is done so as a reflection of community attitudes.
In other words, "bums on seats" pays the bills and if they realistically believed that every domestic violence case brought enough attention to "sell tickets", they would certainly be brought to our attention.
Morally, most of us would find such cases equally abhorrent, but the sad fact is, most don't want to know unless it is a "sexy" story such as the wealthy real estate agent in the well to do neighourhood. It is of course perpetuated by the media, but they are largely giving the audience what they want.
The whole "rally thing" is driven by nice people from nice houses who probably wouldn't give 2 shits otherwise (making some assumptions there).
This is a side issue though, as TBD said, and as my initial post was about, it is the legal aspect that got my goat.
Want to rally? Rally about how the system is imbalanced and how it sometime leans too far in direction of the rights of the guilty. Inadequate sentencing and early release of the convicted bother me.
Like football though, some of the rules don't make sense sometimes but it is the rules that must be played to. No good complaining about a decision if it is technically correct. Argue for change to the rules first.

media outlets are in business to make money and they do that by getting their viewership/reading numbers up so they can sell this statistic to advertisers so they can make as much money as they can to satisfy shareholders. there is nothing wrong with this it is the system that we live in.
they will sensationalize any story that they think will get a reaction from the public and get a run in social media circles so their story goes viral. they like to sell fear to the public, some prime examples of this are the war on terror and shark attacks on our beaches. you have a greater chance of being killed/seriously injured on the road on the way to the beach or airport, or falling of a ladder or slipping over in the bathroom, it's the thought of being eaten alive or blown up by a suicide bomber and media prey on this.
stranger danger for children is another, although there have been high profile tragic abduction cases, children are much more likely to be preyed on by someone that they know.
i enjoyed the rant, as you can tell not a big fan of the mainstream media, 95% of it is garbage, the remaining 5% i do watch is mainly sport. i came to that conclusion gradually over a number of years. it has been good to give it a wide berth, i have found far better things to do with my time. i live my life happily and i very rarely watch or read any of it, i have not missed it one little bit.
#readbooks/socialize/getonbigfooty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My housemate has cracked the shits with me because I bought a brand new AFL Gameday ball for my work desk as a trophy and not a footy.

Is that weird? Having a nice sherrin for presentation only?

What's weird is having a sook because of how someone else chose to spend their money...

Oscar nominations are in and while I don't really care much for film or TV I have noted that each year it seems as though films are getting progressively poorer. I'll watch about one movie a year and last year was the first time I just couldn't find anything that interests me. Very weak year in Hollywood this season IMO.

Oscar nominations are in and while I don't really care much for film or TV I have noted that each year it seems as though films are getting progressively poorer. I'll watch about one movie a year and last year was the first time I just couldn't find anything that interests me. Very weak year in Hollywood this season IMO.

We are in a new golden age of television. Feature films have to take a back seat.

We are in a new golden age of television. Feature films have to take a back seat.

That is absolutely the case. Popcorn movies are getting better than ever though, because they were never about the strength of character development.

If you haven't yet checked out Larry David's hosting effort from Saturday Night Live from a week ago, I thoroughly recommend that you do.

I normally find the sketches on SNL more miss than hit but there were some absolutely brilliant moments on Larry David's night.

I'm still laughing at this one.

If you haven't yet checked out Larry David's hosting effort from Saturday Night Live from a week ago, I thoroughly recommend that you do.

I normally find the sketches on SNL more miss than hit but there were some absolutely brilliant moments on Larry David's night.

I'm still laughing at this one.

Pretty funny. I hope that hosting SNL has jolted him back into work mode again. Been waiting for season 9 of Curb for a while.

I get to tick a big musical goal off in less than two weeks. My band Fugitive & the Vagabond are playing as part of a charity event for Starlight at the Tivoli. We were one of 12 bands fortunate enough to get a spot. To say I am excited is an understatement, and it couldn't be for a better cause! Woohoo!

I'm planning a holiday to Europe in June/July for a month.

Any advice from the well travelled posters on this board or even the not so well travelled would be greatly appreciated.

Any advice from the well travelled posters on this board or even the not so well travelled would be greatly appreciated.
Get there by plane and not by boat, it'll greatly improve the amount of time you get to spend over there.

Let me know any q's you have mate. I've done a reasonable amount of travel in europe. Few tips off the top of my head.

Money - theres 2 cards I use overseas that are good for no transaction fees - 28 degrees mastercard by ge (although they charge for cash withdrawals now but not purchases) and a citibank visa debit transaction account. They both don't charge conversion fees and you get the visa/mastercard conversion rate which is better than anything you'll get from a bank. I use both, citibank for withdrawals and most purchases and the 28 degrees credit card as a backup and if some machine overseas has some issue with visa debit cards. Don't worry about those preloaded cards, most charge a few % as a fee to load up and the rates aren't that great. fluctuations in currency wont be much more than that charge anyway. For cash grab some from a currency exchange place at your shopping centre, they're usually better pricing than the banks which surprises people.

Transport - trains all the way! don't bother flying its just not worth it, takes too long. Trains leave and arrive from the centre of town and you don't have to go through crazy security checks. Do not fly those cheap airlines withing Europe, they're a massive pain. They charge extra for everything and the airports they use are in the middle of nowhere most of the time which cost you extra in time and money to get too and from. Personally I wouldn't bother with those multiple pass things for trains that travel agents try to sell you, its easy enough to just buy tickets as you need them over there. Check out https://www.captaintrain.com/en for more info, they even have an app.

Phone - depending how many countries you travel to and which ones will depend on your options here. Vodafone have a big reach in europe and there are caps on how much access charges are within the EU when you're roaming if you buy a sim card from another EU country. If you're in one spot for a few days or more just grab a data heavy prepaid sim card as thats what you need really for looking up stuff on your phone. They're cheap and easy to get. "Travel sims" are ok for calls but if you're after phone data then its just easier to grab a sim card in the country you're in at the time.

Accom - its going to cost you more than in australia, especially in the big cities, just face up to that fact and you'll be ok. Without knowing what your budget for accom is or the type of accom its hard to be more specific. In big cities that have good transport links, business districts are quite affordable on the weekends even if they may be a bit further from the centre of town. Airbnb is great too, have used it a lot.

Food - in general i tend to ask my accom provider for recommendations (especially when staying in Airbnb places) and failing that as a rule, if you're near a big tourist attraction go back a couple of streets off the main drag for better food at a better price.

If you have any more specific q's just hit me up via msg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back