Everything Off-Season in Domestic Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think they should combine the Australian and New Zealand domestic competitions. 6 Aussie teams and maybe 4 NZ teams.

Any chance of someone like Mike Hussey playing as the Captain?

Could be good if it is a youngsters team
I would have thought someone like Beer would get a gig as captain.

Interesting.

Your brother might be a chance Torz

Also because of the format (it starts before the NZ domestic season) it might be worth inviting New Zealand A

Maybe. Depends if they're allowed to poach rookies from each state.

E: Actually read the whole release, it'll be comprised of rookies/NPS members. He's both of those, so fingers crossed he makes the 15 man squad. :)

Last edited:
How? It would add interest and get more people to games I think.

Why?

If people don't go to NSW v VIC why would they go to VIC vs Otago?

And there would be one less first class game and New Zealand would only have four first class sides to pick it's national team from.

Why?

If people don't go to NSW v VIC why would they go to VIC vs Otago?

And there would be one less first class game and New Zealand would only have four first class sides to pick it's national team from.

Those 4 sides would contain their 44 best cricketers and they would play against much stronger opposition which would help them improve.

I don't think one less game would make much of a difference and it is probably heading down that path.

It would shake it up and make it more interesting instead of 2 teams playing each other twice in a fortnight which is completely dull.

Those 4 sides would contain their 44 best cricketers and they would play against much stronger opposition which would help them improve.

I don't think one less game would make much of a difference and it is probably heading down that path.

It would shake it up and make it more interesting instead of 2 teams playing each other twice in a fortnight which is completely dull.
Interesting.

Your brother might be a chance Torz

Also because of the format (it starts before the NZ domestic season) it might be worth inviting New Zealand A

All for a NZ A, would be very interesting to see how they did, would probably beat everyone bar W.A I reckon

All for a NZ A, would be very interesting to see how they did, would probably beat everyone bar W.A I reckon

Wouldn't be a NZ A side though. Would be a NZ youth side, minus those who would be at the Champions League with their domestic side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be a NZ A side though. Would be a NZ youth side, minus those who would be at the Champions League with their domestic side.

Is the Champions League even on this year?

CSA seem to be organising some tournament with their provinces + Zimbabwe + Namibia instead at the same time and CSA are one of the owners of the Champions League

No thanks.

It's ludicrous how people keep on throwing up this idea for the 50 over comp and the Big Bash.

1. There's no benefit for NZ to amalgamate sides and mess around with the integrity of their existing structure.
2. The costs the competition would incur with the increased travel and accommodation would be significant. Perhaps in T20 you might be able to offset this somewhat by the increased attendances and TV rights, but for the ODD comp? No chance.
3. Whilst I don't particularly like the way the Ryobi Cup currently is in its compressed, somewhat sterile and homogenised format. I can see the financial and logistical sense behind making it a purely made for TV event.

No need to mess with things that both CA and NZC are both pretty happy with at the moment.

It's ludicrous how people keep on throwing up this idea for the 50 over comp and the Big Bash.

1. There's no benefit for NZ to amalgamate sides and mess around with the integrity of their existing structure.
2. The costs the competition would incur with the increased travel and accommodation would be significant. Perhaps in T20 you might be able to offset this somewhat by the increased attendances and TV rights, but for the ODD comp? No chance.
3. Whilst I don't particularly like the way the Ryobi Cup currently is in its compressed, somewhat sterile and homogenised format. I can see the financial and logistical sense behind making it a purely made for TV event.

No need to mess with things that both CA and NZC are both pretty happy with at the moment.

1. The New Zealand sides play in a stronger competition which will help them to improve and transition to international level.
2. CA have loads of money and I assume NZC are going alright as well. Is it that big a difference for WA to travel to NZ instead of NSW?

I think it would take the Big Bash to the next level bringing in the NZ teams and introducing a bit of trans-tasman rivalry.

Phil Jaques - new coach of Qld Bulls
One of the real unlucky players of the 21st century I reckon. Could have had a great test career. Should have gone to South Africa instead of Hughes in 2009, despite Hughes' successes in that series.

One of the real unlucky players of the 21st century I reckon. Could have had a great test career. Should have gone to South Africa instead of Hughes in 2009, despite Hughes' successes in that series.

2008/09 Sheffield Shield

Phil Hughes, 7 matches 898 runs at 74.25 with 4 centuries
Phil Jaques, 3 matches 102 runs at 17.00 with a high score of 41.

They made the correct decision

All fixtures for the Matador Cup and Sheffield Shield have been announced.

• New Cricket Australia XI in the Matador Cup
  • All Matador Cup games played in NSW again
  • Sheffield Shield starts with a day-night round
  • First Shield match to be played outside of Australia (as there is no time for a tour match so NSW & WA will play a Shield game as prep)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back