scotty13

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tracy Vilage Razorbacks
WOW... what an exciting final 2 rounds of the Shield we have coming up. With the Redbacks loosing to QLD and only getting 1st innings points against the Vics, and NSW loosing to WA, it leaves both WA and SA on 26pts and NSW on 24pts.
This week SA play NSW at Adelaide Oval and WA play Qld at the Gabba. If WA and SA can both win, with NSW claiming no points then its season over for NSW and the last round will decide who hosts the final. However if SA only claim 1st innings points and NSW win or No Result, or NSW claim 1st innings points then the final round matches between NSW v WA and SA v Tas will determine who plays in the finals!

Im excited to hopefully see the Redbacks get up against the Blues, with WA loosing to Qld. This will put SA in the prime seat to host the final.

My thoughts are the final will be played between WA and SA, just a matter of who hosts.

WA will beat Queensland. NSW FIP in a draw vs SA, meaning tied on 26 (and WA finish top if they get FIP in the last round), Tassie to beat Victoria. Basicall what I think'll happen:

Tasmania df Victoria (go to 22 points)
NSW FIP draw vs SA (both on 26 points)
WA df Qld (WA to 32 points)

Last round:

Queensland df Victoria (inconciquential)
WA FIP draw vs NSW (WA finish top)
Tas df SA (go to second)

NSW and SA miss out on final after being favourites at the halfway mark

That would open it up if Tassy beat Vic, Likewise if Qld beat WA and SA v NSW if a drawn game with only first innings points, then heading into the final round the table would be.
WA 26/28 (depend on if they claim 1st innings)
SA 26/28 (depend on who gets 1st innings)
NSW 24/26 (depends on 1st innings)
Qld 22
Tas 22

With Qld playing Vic in final round a likely 6pts there taking them to 28
If Tassy beat SA takes them to 28 with SA claiming 1st innings
If NSW claims 1st innings in a drawn match...
The final ladder could read
WA 28
SA 28
NSW 28
Qld 28
Tas 28
Vic 8

and percentage would decide who plays the finals

Worse case scenario is SA hosting. Would have to be played at Glenelg which I would imagine would have neither a stream nor be covered by Fox.

Worse case scenario is SA hosting. Would have to be played at Glenelg which I would imagine would have neither a stream nor be covered by Fox.
Should be at the WACA if SA can't host it at their home ground. It's the bloody State cricket showpiece!

Should be at the WACA if SA can't host it at their home ground. It's the bloody State cricket showpiece!
yep I agree. If SA win the rights to host, and Adel Oval don't allow it, then the game should go to the home ground of the opposing side, rather than suburban ground.

I wouldn't be against the final say being at the WACA over Glenelg, the SACA's fault I believe at the end of the day for having the rolling stones on over the Cricket during the Shield Final. Redbacks need to win the right to host it first though, still a long way to go and we all know how last season finished off.

I wouldn't be against the final say being at the WACA over Glenelg, the SACA's fault I believe at the end of the day for having the rolling stones on over the Cricket during the Shield Final. Redbacks need to win the right to host it first though, still a long way to go and we all know how last season finished off.
Yes let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Both WA and SA are well versed at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and we could end up with a NSW v QLD final yet :)

Yes let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Both WA and SA are well versed at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and we could end up with a NSW v QLD final yet :)

That NSW vs QLD final is odds on favourite from here I would've thought ;) Would love a WA vs SA final though, would be very good to see especially considering how young the WA side is and how the SA group has had such limited success in the longer format for a number of years.

That NSW vs QLD final is odds on favourite from here I would've thought ;) Would love a WA vs SA final though, would be very good to see especially considering how young the WA side is and how the SA group has had such limited success in the longer format for a number of years.

Can't be at SCG either - Booked for the BASEBALL. Would be at Canberra or Blacktown!

Won't be on Fox anyway. They don't have the rights this year, and didn't want the game even when they did. Game is only going to be a stream, and will be streamed wherever it is played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not true.
SACA CEO Keith Bradshaw spoke to Jonathon Agnew in an interview during the ashes test in adelaide.
the summary of their discussion revealed that.
1. Should SA host shield final, it will be at adelaide oval.
2. at the completion of the shield season, all of the drop in wickets will be removed.
3. The rolling stones will have their concert.
4. the goal posts will be inserted and round one will be played.
5. a couple of days after round 1, one drop in wicket will be re-inserted and SA will host the shield final.
6. Drop in wicket removed and remainder of football season played.

A lot of water to go under the bridge before that eventuates but one thing is certain, it won't be at the MCG.:p
one hard year to watch as a bushrangers fan

Last edited:
Can't be at SCG either - Booked for the BASEBALL. Would be at Canberra or Blacktown!

Play it at the WACA I say ;) If the Redbacks do get to host it then why at Glenelg? Surely Prospect would be better, well at least that is a little closer to me :D Not sure I could really be bothered going down to watch it at the bay. Canberra wouldn't be a bad option really, I would prefer that to Bankstown

Also it was announced yesterday it will definitely be played at Glenelg as the earliest Adelaide Oval was available for 5 days straight was the 31st of March or something ridiculous like that. No Fox coverage is a bit of a shame but expected really.

Play it at the WACA I say ;) If the Redbacks do get to host it then why at Glenelg? Surely Prospect would be better, well at least that is a little closer to me :D Not sure I could really be bothered going down to watch it at the bay. Canberra wouldn't be a bad option really, I would prefer that to Bankstown

Also it was announced yesterday it will definitely be played at Glenelg as the earliest Adelaide Oval was available for 5 days straight was the 31st of March or something ridiculous like that. No Fox coverage is a bit of a shame but expected really.

Glenelg was specifically upgraded to First Class status due to the Adelaide Oval reno which may mean in the future Adelaide Oval is unavailable for Shield games due to a concert or footy or whatever - pretty sure that was part of the deal at the outset. Unlike our State Gov't who refuse to upgrade the Junction for the same reasons.

Glenelg was specifically upgraded to First Class status due to the Adelaide Oval reno which may mean in the future Adelaide Oval is unavailable for Shield games due to a concert or footy or whatever - pretty sure that was part of the deal at the outset. Unlike our State Gov't who refuse to upgrade the Junction for the same reasons.
Yeah, but we have a Liberal government, SA Labor.

Hmmm Vic are doing their best atm to ensure Tassy dont have a change to make the finals.Vic have already claimed first innings points with 8 wickets remaining.
WA are trying to collapse themselves. 3/14 atm, chasing 391. Come on Qld :)
SA looking okay with 288 on the board and NSW 3/80, but this is by far looking to be the most evan match game for the round.

Come on SA!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back