Excuses for not going to work

Remove this Banner Ad

Then you run out of money, unless the dole is sufficient enough.
:rolleyes:Kind of typical thinking from a Freo fan - life's not all about work + if you don't work you're on the dole! :)

:rolleyes:Kind of typical thinking from a Freo fan - life's not all about work + if you don't work you're on the dole! :)

That was not a personal dig because you are not working, just pointing out that work for most is a neccesary evil for those that need money to have an enjoyable social life in their spare time, unless they have saved money, won lotto or another competition etc.

Festivus?
Simpsons quote but Festivus works too :thumbsu:
eGYxdrC.png

While working on both a boring and stressful task (dealing with 100s of clients) a co-worker periodically kept wiping her eyes. In about 20 minutes one had blown up and was red as beetroot. Turned out the cleaners had sprayed some varnish or something on the desks overnight and allergic reaction and she pretty much upped and left. Not really an excuse as it was true as far as I could tell.

If I need a day off I tend to go with the general gastro sickness excuse. I figure it is like the footy season where most players are carrying injuries and given a quiet week/soft draw have a week off. Similarly most workers would be carrying a stress/physical related ailment so the occassional rotation is needed to freshen up.

Family crisis. Don't need to say anymore than that. That also negates the need not to go out in case you are seen down the street when you are meant to be sick.
yeah family crisis is good and avoids having to say someone died which i think is just pretty poor taste.

On the subject of not going to work two of my colleagues didn't turn up today because they have been bickering, leaving me with all the work. :mad: Is it ok to facebook pm one of them and find out whether everything is ok?

Please whatever you do DON'T DO THE PATHETIC FARKIN "SICK VOICE" THING.

(In a baby voice) "awwww *forced cough* I'm feeling reaaaaly *forced cough* sick ohhhhh I can't come innnn!!!! Waaaa waaaa"

Seriously, you're meant to have a *in headache or diarrhoea. It doesn't affect your ability to draw enough breath to construct a sentence.

Seriously what is it about people calling in sick that makes them think they suddenly have Oscar winning acting abilities. You sound like a knob and not in the least bit believable.

(In a baby voice) "awwww *forced cough* I'm feeling reaaaaly *forced cough* sick ohhhhh I can't come innnn!!!! Waaaa waaaa"

Seriously, you're meant to have a ****in headache or diarrhoea. It doesn't affect your ability to draw enough breath to construct a sentence.

Seriously what is it about people calling in sick that makes them think they suddenly have Oscar winning acting abilities. You sound like a knob and not in the least bit believable.

Don't pull a sickie very often, as I have a bit of lee way what hours I decide to work on any particular day.
If I want to work from home for a day or half a day I can.If I need to turn off my work phone/divert it to our office though my call will usually go like this - "Hey boss, Im crook. Gonna divert my phone to the office today".
If you don't take the piss out of taking sickies, and only have 1 or 2 a year, your boss shouldn't really give a s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have pissed myself laughing a few times when a family member has done this. :rainbow:

Probably should have had the video camera out as well. Some of the facial expressions were incredible.

What about I got suck in traffic all day, one of those long traffic jams that go on for hours that you hear about.

Such a weird stigma to using sick days that we have created a whole culture of "pulling a sickie". Why should I need a doctors note for a single day off? In the 8 years Iv worked I think iv taken about 4 to 5 sick days, and all have been legit. One job I had, woke up on a Friday prior to a long weekend with some pretty shocking conjunctivitis. Boss wouldn't have a bar of it as "I sounded too healthy on the phone".

Anyway, gastro or family crisis are excuses that wont have any follow up unless the higher ups are absolute jerks.

Earache
been abusing substances
broken fridge
flooded laundry
looking after a family member
mamma mia, diarrhea
dog escaped and you're out looking for him
flat bike tyer
can't find your keys, can't lock your house so can't leave home

Last edited:
Such a weird stigma to using sick days that we have created a whole culture of "pulling a sickie". Why should I need a doctors note for a single day off? In the 8 years Iv worked I think iv taken about 4 to 5 sick days, and all have been legit. One job I had, woke up on a Friday prior to a long weekend with some pretty shocking conjunctivitis. Boss wouldn't have a bar of it as "I sounded too healthy on the phone".

Anyway, gastro or family crisis are excuses that wont have any follow up unless the higher ups are absolute jerks.

It was absolutely rampant at my last job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back