EXPANDING the SANFL - PROMOTION and RELEGATION ... its time!

Should the SANFL adopt promotion + relegation?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

On promotion/relegation, how would the Power or Crows feel if they got relegated and their AFL reserves were playing third tier footall? Looking at if from outside, that alone would be enough to make it unworkable.
And that is without issues such as dealing with player contracts at different salary cap levels, the impact on the competitions a tier down.
Whether more teamds would be viable in the SA context I have no clue about. I do know the SANFL is by far the most supported state league and probably the highest standard state. The simple fact is all state leagues have been trampled on by the AFL juggernaut, only in SA (borderline in WA) does the state comp survive in its own right - and even then money from the AFL franchises helps a lot.

If you want to see failed state leagues, look to Victoria and especially Tasmania where the whole game is dead (in part it sems deliberately so) apart from AFL on TV and a few token matches.
Simple: AFL reserves teams don't get relegated.

Good question, but its worth pointing out - it didn't seem to much of a problem to divide them up + restructure the Zones when they stripped Port Adelaide of their zone.. I'm sure they can re-structure them.

Divide them up into how many zones? If you're talking promotion and relegation over 7 or 8 divisions, that's a lot of clubs. Go by suburb perhaps?

in an 8 team comp? righto. so teams finishing 5th and 6th can get relegated. seems like a well thought out concept.

12 team competition mate - Yes, the AFL reserves teams should be relegated.
If you can't meet the standard, you deserved to play in a lower league + earn your spot back!

Maybe 1 up, 1 down would be more workable from SANFL to the second tier and 2 up, 2 down from the other tiers if we are saying the overarching competition is:

SANFL 10 (1 up and 1 down)
Ammos - Div 1 10 (1 up and 2 down)
Ammos - Div 2 10 (2 up and 2 down)
Ammos - Div 3 10 (2 up and 2 down)
etc.

Now that I see it 'on paper' like that.. wouldn't it make sense to do:

SANFL 12 (0 up and 2 down) - No promotion, unless you want Norwood to bid for a 3rd licence in the AFL.
Ammos - Div 1 10 (2 up and 1 down)
Ammos - Div 2 10 (1 up and 1 down)
... and so on.

Reason: this way 2 teams leave each division (except Div 1) + I make it 12 in the SANFL to allow no traditional SANFL teams to leave the competition for the first season of implementing the change - also 12 works better IMO for an even draw of 22 home and away games.

Interesting discussion. Im fairly out of touch with the Ammo scene these days, but I would have thought bringing grounds and amenities up to scratch could be a stumbling block for SAAFL clubs. And of course, as touched upon, the additional finances they would require - Salary Cap + Football department, which would then require paid-for marketing and accounting positions etc, means those amateur clubs would need to find in excess of $1mil.

If we did expand without relegation I think the obvious choices are...
  1. Modbury Hawks.
    • Est 1862
    • Colours = Brown + Gold (Vertical)
  2. Mount Barker Kangaroos.
    • Est 1881
    • Colours = Light Blue + White (Horizontal)
  3. Gawler Central Tigers + Gawler Lions = Gawler Lions.
    • Est 1889
    • Colours = Orange + Black (Horizontal)
  4. Victor Harbour Kangaroos.
    • Est 1885.
    • Colours = Light Blue + White (Vertical)
But my preference is to make the competition smaller to raise the standard. When a national reserves competition inevitably eventuates the Magpies (and maybe the Crows) could revert to non-AFL player lists and relegation and promotion could work more smoothly and less controversially.

Last edited:
the problem the SANFL has these days is that most of the clubs are within a kick of each other, it doesn't reflect the true suburban landscape of Adelaide.

The old VFL had a similar issue....11 of the 12 clubs were based in suburbs within 10km of the CBD. The VFA did a better job of reflecting Melbourne's true suburban landscape.

Add me to the list who are for a team in the Modbury/north-eastern area.

The old VFL had a similar issue....11 of the 12 clubs were based in suburbs within 10km of the CBD. The VFA did a better job of reflecting Melbourne's true suburban landscape.

Add me to the list who are for a team in the Modbury/north-eastern area.

Thoughts on Promotion + Relegation?

Don't forget to vote at the top of this thread ;)

If we did expand without relegation I think the obvious choices are...
  1. Modbury Hawks.
    • Est 1862
    • Colours = Brown + Gold (Vertical)
  2. Mount Barker Kangaroos.
    • Est 1881
    • Colours = Light Blue + White (Horizontal)
  3. Gawler Central Tigers + Gawler Lions = Gawler Lions.
    • Est 1889
    • Colours = Orange + Black (Horizontal)
  4. Victor Harbour Kangaroos.
    • Est 1885.
    • Colours = Light Blue + White (Vertical)
But my preference is to make the competition smaller to raise the standard. When a national reserves competition inevitably eventuates the Magpies (and maybe the Crows) could revert to non-AFL player lists and relegation and promotion could work more smoothly and less controversially.

Definitely think given population growth over the past 10-20 years, the Modbury and Mount Barker teams are a must if expansion happens.

the problem the SANFL has these days is that most of the clubs are within a kick of each other, it doesn't reflect the true suburban landscape of Adelaide.
Woodville and West Torrens should never have existed and should've been included in West Adelaide. Sturt and Norwood should've been just one team. South Adelaide's home ground should've been Noarlunga instead of Adelaide Oval (actually North Adelaide haha) for a million years. Central District should've been two teams in Elizabeth and Modbury. Gawler arguably should've remained in the competition. Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 10.27.06 pm.png

Woodville and West Torrens should never have existed and should've been included in West Adelaide. Sturt and Norwood should've been just one team. South Adelaide's home ground should've been Noarlunga instead of Adelaide Oval (actually North Adelaide haha) for a million years. Central District should've been two teams in Elizabeth and Modbury. Gawler arguably should've remained in the competition.View attachment 116638

From this Map - we need to add the following teams:

- Hills Districts
- Tea Tree Gully
- Happy Valley or Flagstaff Hill
- Enfield or Sailsbury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Modbury over TTG, I don't think so.

They're pretty much representing the same area...

I'm more about those areas (north-eastern suburbs and the hills) being represented in some form at state league level, than especially worried about which club should get "promoted" from the SAAFL or HFL.

Need to include Mount Barker as a "regional" team - MBs A Grade team in the HFL then becomes seconds or thirds.

Modbury.

Gawler

Riverland or Spencer Gulf.

Its the South Australian National Football League, not the Adelaide Football League.

Simple: AFL reserves teams don't get relegated.

Divide them up into how many zones? If you're talking promotion and relegation over 7 or 8 divisions, that's a lot of clubs. Go by suburb perhaps?
'Let's have a relegation model in the SANFL.....but let's make rules that doesn't allow my team to be relegated'........Yeh, sure.

How about the AFL lead by example and relegate some failing AFL franchises that are continually being propped up with draft picks and millions of dollars for years on end.
How about the AFL stop dicking around state leagues, with AFL reserve teams and demand that ALL salary caps are honoured by everyone.
Let the AFL lead by example before the state leagues are used as some sort of half witted experiment more than what they already are.
There is a serious lack of direction in football as a whole and while the top end of town are madly greasing each other's arses and slapping each other on the back, the system below them is failing if not rotting.

Its the South Australian National Football League, not the Adelaide Football League.
This.

Looking at a map I think it is feasible and financially desirable to include more teams, especially considering the television audiences the league had last year.
  1. Tea Tree Gully (100,000)
  2. Mount Barker (30,000)
  3. Gawler (24,000)
  4. Barrossa Valley (23,000)
  5. Murray Bridge (20,000)
  6. Victor Harbor (14,000)

I think the Tea Tree Gully Wolves would be strong enough to enter the league off their own bat. The area could probably house three teams so the other two could be Modbury Hawks and Golden Grove Kookaburras.

Last edited:
Need to include Mount Barker as a "regional" team - MBs A Grade team in the HFL then becomes seconds or thirds.

Modbury.

Gawler

Riverland or Spencer Gulf.

Good point RE the SANFL being a State comp, not an inner city suburban competition!
Apart from Elizabeth + South, it's all city perimeter clubs.

Heck, why not expand to a Mt Gambier or Iron Triangle team - between those associated clubs, the county boys would give the city clubs a good run for their money!

Just goes to show how far behind the times the SANFL are - IMO, time to clean out the board, restructure + get innovation with the SA National FL.

A Gawler team - Gawler Saints for example that recruits players from the Gawler/Barossa FL, Adelaide Plains FL, even the North Eastern (Clare, Burra etc) - would be competitive from the get go, as would a Spencer Gulf united team (Ports Pirie and Augusta, Whyalla even Lincoln, also drawing from Northern Areas FA plus Spencer Gulf, Whyalla and Lincoln leagues).

Also consider Mount Barker (which would draw from the HFL and Southern FL) and Mount Gambier (drawing from MGFLs, south eastern leagues).

There would be enough talent to go around easily, and would also tell clubs strugglers in the current SANFL to lift their game a bit more

Back