EXPANDING the SANFL - PROMOTION and RELEGATION ... its time!

Should the SANFL adopt promotion + relegation?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

AdsGoNads

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2014
SA Great
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brøndby IF, Adelaide City FC
Could the SANFL be expanded into a 12 team competition with the addition of two SAAFL teams?

The Goodwood Saints will get an opportunity to prove they could compete in the SANFL pre-season when they play Port Adelaide Magpies on April 2nd at Thebarton Oval.

The Advertiser today - Goodwood Saints to play Port Adelaide Magpies - saints coach Trent Mills said his side was excited - “We’ll get a guide where we’re at and give the guys an opportunity to see what they could potentially aspire to,” Mills said.

Could the Goodwood Saints aspire to play in the SANFL?

Could the SANFL adopt a promotion and relegation system, where the two Grand Finalists of division 1 amateurs were given an opportunity to play the following season in the SANFL + the two wooden spooners were of the SANFL relegated to division 1 amateurs?

A few reasons I think this would re-invigorate interest in SA footy.
- Each game would hold value - while teams are playing for finals, others will be fighting to stay.
- The SANFL teams would be forced to compete on and off the field, which would lift the competition.
- 12 teams allows for a 22 round season, playing each team home + away.
(even with a split draw in the middle of the season, if necessary, the seasons still fits perfectly under the AFL)
- Allows more SA players to be observed playing at the highest level - increasing player development + the opportunity for more SA players being selected in the national draft + showcased at a national level.

Is SA ready to think progressively or are we still locked in preserving yesteryear?

if there was ever an argument for another team to enter the SANFL, it's one in the north-eastern suburbs
one-third of Adelaide's population live north of Grand Junction Road, yet only one team is based there: Centrals.
there should be a team that represents Modbury, Golden Grove, Tea Tree Gully etc. apparently there's a ground at Banksia Park that would be suitable, Modbury is SA's oldest football club too, and 16 time A-Grade Premiers

another could be the Adelaide Hills or Gawler or maybe even a regional team like Whyalla

promotion and relegation? no, terrible idea that would never work

Last edited:
if there was ever an argument for another team to enter the SANFL, it's one in the north-eastern suburbs
1/3rd of Adelaide's population live north of Grand Junction Road, yet only one team is based there: Centrals.
there should be a team that represents Modbury, Golden Grove, Tea Tree Gully etc. apparently there's a ground at Banksia Park that would be suitable, Modbury is SA's oldest football club too, and 16 time A-Grade Premiers

another could be the Adelaide Hills or Gawler or maybe even a regional team like Whyalla

Tea Tree Gully (Kooka) Burras?

1/3rd of Adelaide's population live north of Grand Junction Road, yet only one team is based there: Centrals.

Would never work?

I'd like to hear your reasons.

You could go the other way and shrink the competition to 8 and have promotion and relegation lifting the top tiers standard without killing off teams.

If the competition shrank to 8.. which current clubs would merge or leave?

If the competition shrank to 8.. which current clubs would merge or leave?
No leaving simply drop down to lower division and work way back up. Going on last year it would've been West Adelaide and Glenelg. Leaving the SANFL with 8 teams. The following year West Adelaide and Glenelg would probably re-enter at the expense of Central District and Adelaide (if they finished in the same spot).

The 2nd division would be larger...probably 12.

No leaving simply drop down to lower division and work way back up. Going on last year it would've been West Adelaide and Glenelg. Leaving the SANFL with 8 teams. The following year West Adelaide and Glenelg would probably re-enter at the expense of Central District and Adelaide (if they finished in the same spot).

The 2nd division would be larger...probably 12.

I think it would be a much gentler approach to expand the competition to 12 adding two division 1 amateurs.

Naturally two division 2 amateurs would take their place in division 1 and so on..

This way no current SANFL teams will be relegated without warning + have the opportunity to fight to keep their position.
There is potential for the two div1 amateurs to be relegated the following season + two more given the opportunity to knock off some SANFL teams..
Not only will the SANFL teams have a chance to solidify their sides, but the Amateurs will strengthen through the experience.

I think it will make SA footy a much more interesting competition.

Here is what my 2015 competition would look like

League
  1. Norwood
  2. Port Adelaide
  3. South Adelaide
  4. Sturt
  5. Woodville-West Torrens
  6. North Adelaide
  7. Central District
  8. Adelaide
Division 1
  1. Goodwood
  2. Rostrevor
  3. West Adelaide
  4. Glenelg
  5. Henley
  6. Tea Tree Gully
  7. Salisbury North
  8. Portland
  9. Port District
  10. Adelaide University
  11. Payneham
  12. Sacred Heart

League
  1. Norwood
  2. Port Adelaide
  3. South Adelaide
  4. Sturt
  6. North Adelaide
  7. Central District
  8. Adelaide
Division 1
  1. Goodwood
  2. Rostrevor
  3. West Adelaide
  4. Glenelg
  5. Henley
  6. Tea Tree Gully
  7. Salisbury North
  8. Portland
  9. Port District
  10. Adelaide University
  11. Payneham
  12. Sacred Heart

So whats your thinking behind the 8 team competition over a 12?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it would be a much gentler approach to expand the competition to 12 adding two division 1 amateurs.

Naturally two division 2 amateurs would take their place in division 1 and so on..

This way no current SANFL teams will be relegated without warning + have the opportunity to fight to keep their position.
There is potential for the two div1 amateurs to be relegated the following season + two more given the opportunity to knock off some SANFL teams..
Not only will the SANFL teams have a chance to solidify their sides, but the Amateurs will strengthen through the experience.

I think it will make SA footy a much more interesting competition.
Good points. I think a smaller SANFL is the way to go to raise the standard. It would mean our top players would get exposed to a slightly higher level of competition.

Maybe we should do what we did in 1885 and 1886 and just have 4 teams haha.

So whats your thinking behind the 8 team competition over a 12?
Simply to raise the standard.

League
  1. Norwood
  2. Port Adelaide
  3. South Adelaide
  4. Sturt
  6. North Adelaide
  7. Central District
  8. Adelaide
Division 1
  1. Goodwood
  2. Rostrevor
  3. West Adelaide
  4. Glenelg
  5. Henley
  6. Tea Tree Gully
  7. Salisbury North
  8. Portland
  9. Port District
  10. Adelaide University
  11. Payneham
  12. Sacred Heart
Imagine Goodwood vs. Rostrevor at Adelaide Oval as an opener to a Norwood vs. Port Adelaide Grand Final. Would crack 50,000 as a double header imo.

Imagine Goodwood vs. Rostrevor at Adelaide Oval as an opener to a Norwood vs. Port Adelaide Grand Final. Would crack 50,000 as a double header imo.

In this way, I think it will connect many more footy fans to the SANFL..

Port Adelaide vs. Port District or Portland?
Norwood vs. Norwood Payneham or Rostrevor?
Central District vs. Salisbury North?
Sturt vs. Goodwood?
Glenelg vs. Sacred Heart?
Woodville-West Torrens vs. Henley?

jeez, talk about biting the hand that feeds

Port Adelaide vs. Port District or Portland?
Norwood vs. Norwood Payneham or Rostrevor?
Central District vs. Salisbury North?
Sturt vs. Goodwood?
Glenelg vs. Sacred Heart?
Woodville-West Torrens vs. Henley?

jeez, talk about biting the hand that feeds

Yeah, but there will always be feeder clubs, plenty of talent wanting to climb the ladder through divisions + teams.

Would salary cap be an issue? Would it be possible to scrap if the top division was only 8 teams (less corporate competition + greater share of exposure).

I'd like to think, with the increased exposure on channel 7 - corporate sponsorship would increase + the salary cap would be able to be increased even for a 12 team competition..

I'd like to think, with the increased exposure on channel 7 - corporate sponsorship would increase + the salary cap would be able to be increased even for a 12 team competition..
To be honest the SANFL salary cap should be doubled considering how much profit the SNAFL makes and how long it has stayed the same. If the AFLPA has the best interests of players in mind it should be a entity for all paid footballers.

What happens to SANFL zones and junior development?

Good question, but its worth pointing out - it didn't seem to much of a problem to divide them up + restructure the Zones when they stripped Port Adelaide of their zone.. I'm sure they can re-structure them.

On promotion/relegation, how would the Power or Crows feel if they got relegated and their AFL reserves were playing third tier footall? Looking at if from outside, that alone would be enough to make it unworkable.
And that is without issues such as dealing with player contracts at different salary cap levels, the impact on the competitions a tier down.
Whether more teamds would be viable in the SA context I have no clue about. I do know the SANFL is by far the most supported state league and probably the highest standard state. The simple fact is all state leagues have been trampled on by the AFL juggernaut, only in SA (borderline in WA) does the state comp survive in its own right - and even then money from the AFL franchises helps a lot.

If you want to see failed state leagues, look to Victoria and especially Tasmania where the whole game is dead (in part it sems deliberately so) apart from AFL on TV and a few token matches.

Back