Expansion Expansion: Has the benefit been worth it?

Remove this Banner Ad

No. A Super League would still have the same structure, and would be detrimental to the old clubs. I would never propose a rival league being built with new franchises.

Well, the current ones can't/wont go anywhere. The AFL has the rights to most of their IP (names, jumpers, etc) as well as a stranglehold on stadia in Melbourne.

Soooo what do you mean then?

There are a myriad of different ways you could structure a national league, or a national system.

My personal favourite at this point in time is to have the state leagues as tier one, with a national competition for the best teams in each state at the end of the season in order to crown a national champion. If people only want to go to the 'top tier' (which is very much the case in Australia), then make the top tier wider and deeper and more people should be both willing and able to attend and follow.

There are a myriad of different ways you could structure a national league, or a national system.

My personal favourite at this point in time is to have the state leagues as tier one, with a national competition for the best teams in each state at the end of the season in order to crown a national champion. If people only want to go to the 'top tier' (which is very much the case in Australia), then make the top tier wider and deeper and more people should be both willing and able to attend and follow.
There are only a myriad ways if you assume a clean slate. There isn't a clean slate, there are not a myriad of ways, I would suggest there are actually very few at this point. As for making it wider and deeper, that's great. A balanced national budget with increased spending, and reduced taxes would also be great.

So you want the natioal league to be an Australian Champions League?

Yeah no. Youll have every player going to the top state league for the cash.
The vfl rep would murder every other states rep.

Sounds like a good way to halve AFL revenues overnight.

So you want the natioal league to be an Australian Champions League?

Yeah no. Youll have every player going to the top state league for the cash.
The vfl rep would murder every other states rep.

Salary cap equal across leagues.

Sounds like a good way to halve AFL revenues overnight.

The AFL (which would return to being the VFL) wouldn't be the custodian of the game.

The AFL (which would return to being the VFL) wouldn't be the custodian of the game.

I get what you are saying - get rid of the one elite tier and run with multiple secondary tiers - which sounds like a good way to halve revenues overnight.

Anyway, as someone has already suggested, over time, one of the secondary tiers (let's call it the VFL) prospers and reaches a position where it can lead the charge to form a national league in the pursuit of greater revenues (let's call it the AFL).

Spending should only be a problem if it is more than revenue right? I think 500 million a year is enough to keep a few teams afloat if need be.

The AFL has started to look at potential & actual profligate spending in club footy departments. They clearly dont want waste &/or irresponsible spending.

GOK they spend enough on supporting clubs as it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are several problems with this.

1) The AFL would have to allow itself to break apart. As Others have said it has rights to various club materials that make this practically impossible.
2) Assuming the AFL clubs would allow themselves either to break apart, or to be integrated into state competitions, the AFL itself is presently in effective control of the licenses of Adelaide, Port Adelaide, GWS and Gold Coast. Brisbane would fold after being unable to service debt.
3) Youd return to the old problem, Victoria would simply be too big, and the other markets would be tiny in comparison. In fact, its entirely possible that the AFL could continue in Victoria without the non victorian clubs, with only minor adjustments. Couldnt compete on attendances, memberships or tv audience money. And then guess where the players end up? And around we go.

I get what you are saying - get rid of the one elite tier and run with multiple secondary tiers - which sounds like a good way to halve revenues overnight.

Anyway, as someone has already suggested, over time, one of the secondary tiers (let's call it the VFL) prospers and reaches a position where it can lead the charge to form a national league in the pursuit of greater revenues (let's call it the AFL).

Why would they want to form a national league? They are not rivals, all operating in their own state under the oversight of the ANFC, cooperating on State of Origin and an end-of-season national championship for the best clubs in each league along with common regulations to ensure that one league cannot under any circumstances dominate the rest in such a way as to destroy the others.

Like the federation was meant to be.

There are several problems with this.

1) The AFL would have to allow itself to break apart. As Others have said it has rights to various club materials that make this practically impossible.
2) Assuming the AFL clubs would allow themselves either to break apart, or to be integrated into state competitions, the AFL itself is presently in effective control of the licenses of Adelaide, Port Adelaide, GWS and Gold Coast. Brisbane would fold after being unable to service debt.
3) Youd return to the old problem, Victoria would simply be too big, and the other markets would be tiny in comparison. In fact, its entirely possible that the AFL could continue in Victoria without the non victorian clubs, with only minor adjustments. Couldnt compete on attendances, memberships or tv audience money. And then guess where the players end up? And around we go.

1) Yes, unless the is an unforeseen circumstance in which the continuation of the AFL is considered untenable.
2) I would expect all the non-Victorian clubs that aren't Port Adelaide to be thrown away, except for South Melbourne, which would need some consideration.
3) See above. They would not be in competition. I would recommend the VFL would have more clubs than the SANFL and WAFL to account for the natural playing population differences.

3) See above. They would not be in competition. I would recommend the VFL would have more clubs than the SANFL and WAFL to account for the natural playing population differences.

They are always in competition, until 1991 they always were. Players will go where the money is. SA and WA could not compete with a Victorian football entity boosted by far greater sponsorship and tv money than either of those competitions would have access to, simply due to market size. Likewise there would literally be 10 AFL clubs that would still be the top tier in Victoria - they wouldnt even lose members, attendances might even rise as they would suddenly be relieved of having to play crap fixtures against low drawing interstate sides.

Lets see, I am the head of channel 7, faced with separate comps in each state. Are we asked to bid for the rights to all of them at once, or is it a state by state deal? because if it is state by state then Qld and NSW can go pay the ABC to broadcast their league. Might broadcast in Tas, but not paying real money for it, and only 1 game. SA is interesting, strong support, population only ?1.7 mill, and the games would have no interest outside SA, so will pay a bit, but not overly much. Maybe do 2 games and a highlights package. WA similar, but with 2.5 mill. real money is in Vic where I am prepared to spend a few dollars. Sum total is well short of 2.5 billion over 6 years.

We could negaotiate a package deal, but it involves separate parts, some of which are worth nothing, and even the cream is worth much less than the AFL.

Could generate some dollars by taking the Vic competition (the only one earning real money), and generate some national interest in it. Save some money in Tas by not broadcasting their games, just giving them Vic. Ditto for the latent demand for footy in NSW and Qld

Total combined tv earnings in my estimation collapses, 75% plus fall.

All states apart from Vic return to part time professional basis.

Elite pathways get scaled back as there is no one with a pot of cash deep enough to fund them.

In WA, the WAFC dependant on WCE and Freo for cash goes broke and grass roots development returns to a local volunteer only basis.

Works for me:thumbsu:

Thanks Nostradamus, your knowledge of the future value of sports for television channels must have earned you plenty over the years.
I only had to work out the value of all the other state based sports comps (nothing), and the tv revenues the WAFL made prior to the Eagles (sweet FA). Didn't take Nostrodamus like fortune telling.

In these days of internationalised broadcasting, and fragmenting markets, sports teams with valuations in the billions, what do you think a suburban sports comp largely based in 1, 1 million pop city (Adelaide), with little to no interest outside the state is worth? Try and put a dollar value on it.

I only had to work out the value of all the other state based sports comps (nothing), and the tv revenues the WAFL made prior to the Eagles (sweet FA). Didn't take Nostrodamus like fortune telling.

In these days of internationalised broadcasting, and fragmenting markets, sports teams with valuations in the billions, what do you think a suburban sports comp largely based in 1, 1 million pop city (Adelaide), with little to no interest outside the state is worth? Try and put a dollar value on it.

No idea. Why should I? The circumstances under which such a thing should be established would require a massive change in mindset from all parties, which is not going to happen this year or next.

No idea. Why should I? The circumstances under which such a thing should be established would require a massive change in mindset from all parties, which is not going to happen this year or next.

or ever. This works great in theory, but will never fly in practice. For the same reasons it never had a chance to fly in the 70s and 80s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back