Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
There are two relatively major issues that I want to put to the polls to get an idea of how the members of the board would like the FGD board to be run this year. I'll be making the polls private so voters aren't 'judged' by others for their opinions, nor will you be able to see results before voting (so your opinion is truly individual and respected here). The poll will be open for 4 days to allow preparation for the season.

The first poll is one that has come up last year as well, but for continuity's sake I'd like to ask it again.
Poll 1 – Do you prefer:
* Weekly discussion threads for the AFL
* One giant megathread a la the 'New Jumpers' thread to discuss use in the AFL

The second poll is a bit more topical.
Poll 2 – Do you prefer:
* Conducting the footy jumper tipping competition on BF using threads and images like last year
* Conducting the footy jumper tipping competition off-site using the website Akkaps has developed

If you'd also like to leave some opinions and thoughts in this thread it'd be much appreciated, as myself and Dylan8 can use that feedback to improve the board.

IMO if it's going to be on the external website then it needs to have a mega thread as I don't think there will be enough discussion in weekly ones.

I did observe that by the end of the season, a lot of the discussion in the weekly threads was about the tipping comp.

But if the two are mutually exclusive – saying that if the comp is offsite then we can't have weekly threads – that's basically saying that the tipping competition is the number one discussion point on the board, moreso than the actual AFL itself. And I disagree with that

I like the idea of the weekly discussion threads, but as Gibbsy said, the problem was that it was all tipping talk. I think that by having the tipping in the thread, it was putting people off jumper discussions. The best thing was seeing the Indigenous Round thread with nearly 1,000 replied, we need to replicate this.

The thing is, we have a s**t load of lurkers and non-regulars posting in the main thread at the moment, we just need to push them into the weekly threads without making them feel overwhelmed by the tipping done by the regulars.

You know the video of yours that I bumped?

I reckon this board could use a few more informative or investigative pieces of graphic design around the world, you know, pulling apart logos or whstevr, though im thinking, as a medium for discussion, more thread than video.

I think that if the tipping is going to happen in the weekly threads it should stop being a tipping competition and just simply predictions, so that people won't take it too seriously. Although, if people are interested in taking it seriously it should exist off-site.

Also, I am a big fan of S2A's suggestion. I'd love to find a way to spend time foreign logos and stuff.

I'm probably the exception not the rule here, but I travel a fair bit so my BigFooty posting is a lot off my mobile (why I read more than I post now days) and I find one thread where I'll always get notifications (megathread) I can read it at various places and it's right there rather than every week looking for the new thread and missing things.

A megathread would make everything much easier.

The secrecy of the tipping comp would be inhibited by not doing it externally, however I did enjoy the overall setup of last year's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbsy , what are your thoughts on having a thread for just tipping posts, and no discussion. This would be on top of the weekly division threads.

Alternatively, everyone could PM me their tips, to keep their tips a secret.

I don't think tips have to be a secret, did you think it was an issue last year? Genuinely curious

I don't think tips have to be a secret, did you think it was an issue last year? Genuinely curious

Keeping the tips hidden would provide far more accuracy and credibility.

Say when I'm leading the comp with 5 rounds to go, I could just copy the tips of my closest competitor if the tips were taken on a weekly thread.

Keeping the tips hidden would provide far more accuracy and credibility.

Say when I'm leading the comp with 5 rounds to go, I could just copy the tips of my closest competitor if the tips were taken on a weekly thread.
I agree with you here, I am guilty of doing the exact same thing last season because it was much easier than doing the work myself.

How about a weekly discussion thread w/ a link to the tipping site in the OP?

I've just decided that's the only way to run this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back