Extra Home Game For WA Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

I still can't believe some are here arguing that Freo and WCE deserve two extra home games over two other clubs.

As if the fixture isn't screwed enough

The only way to fix the travel issue is a third team, which most of you are passionately opposed to

You chose to enter a league dominated by Victorian sides, it's a bit late to be crying about it now

I still can't believe some are here arguing that Freo and WCE deserve two extra home games over two other clubs.

The only way to fix the travel issue is a third team, which most of you are passionately opposed to

You chose to enter a league dominated by Victorian sides, it's a bit late to be crying about it now

Third WA team .....yes.

The parochial issues are well covered in this article albeit Vic based:
Yes, parochialism is at issue here. Many Ballarat footy people find it hard to throw their weight behind North Ballarat because the Roosters bullied the local competition before moving into the VFL in 1996. And local footy fans' unease towards North Ballarat has been refuelled since the club was allowed to re-enter senior and reserves teams in the Ballarat Football League seven years ago.
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/locals-cold-on-eureka-stadium-makeover-for-western-bulldogs-20150207-1382qy.html

As for home games, the Hawks have no problems with the excuse from yesteryear & no one argues Vic clubs have some big advantage on Grand Final day - home ground advantage is a crutch for some supporters when their team is just not good enough.

The parochial issues are well covered in this article albeit Vic based:
Yes, parochialism is at issue here. Many Ballarat footy people find it hard to throw their weight behind North Ballarat because the Roosters bullied the local competition before moving into the VFL in 1996. And local footy fans' unease towards North Ballarat has been refuelled since the club was allowed to re-enter senior and reserves teams in the Ballarat Football League seven years ago.
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/locals-cold-on-eureka-stadium-makeover-for-western-bulldogs-20150207-1382qy.html

As for home games, the Hawks have no problems with the excuse from yesteryear & no one argues Vic clubs have some big advantage on Grand Final day - home ground advantage is a crutch for some supporters when their team is just not good enough.

What advantage in gf day? It's not a home crowd - 50% are theatre goers, and the rest is between the two clubs

Are you suggesting you deserve 12 home games, and two other clubs only 10 because of the grand final?

What advantage in gf day? It's not a home crowd - 50% are theatre goers, and the rest is between the two clubs

Are you suggesting you deserve 12 home games, and two other clubs only 10 because of the grand final?

So the home ground is not the advantage its the crowd, not the travel? Even all of ... no one ever mentions the Grand Final because it is not a factor, not because its got a 3 postcode, you are hanging onto yesterdays alibis ... home ground is not a factor.

I am suggesting there is a market for more footy in both WA & SA and there is an oversupply of games in Melbourne as is clearly demonstrated with crowds under 20k.

Last edited:
So the home ground is not the advantage its the crowd, not the travel? Even all of ... no one ever mentions the Grand Final because it is not a factor, not because its got a 3 postcode, you are hanging onto yesterdays alibis ... home ground is not a factor.

I am suggesting there is a market for more footy in both WA & SA and there is an oversupply of games in Melbourne as is clearly demonstrated with crowds under 20k.

Then add another WA team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then add another WA team.

That is a different solution requiring an investment of $millions, potentially yet another loss maker for years to come. My suggestion adds to the financial strength of the game nationally, simply meeting a demand that a new club would not. Remember dividends to your club would subsidise any new club just as they have the Suns & GWS - to me that is financially irresponsible at a time when so many clubs are battling to make a dollar. Surely the game needs to swallow the expansion costs before going again.

That is a different solution requiring an investment of $millions, potentially yet another loss maker for years to come. My suggestion adds to the financial strength of the game nationally, simply meeting a demand that a new club would not. Remember dividends to your club would subsidise any new club just as they have the Suns & GWS - to me that is financially irresponsible at a time when so many clubs are battling to make a dollar. Surely the game needs to swallow the expansion costs before going again.

If it's going to be such a massive loss maker, then clearly there isn't the demand in WA.

So you're in favour of a third team then!

So you're in favour of a third team then!

Only if you (not me) are a fair dinkum financial drop kick.
I'm not against a 3rd side IF there is no increase in teams BUT can the competition afford another expansion club? Just because my lot can afford it, that does not excuse financial irresponsibility IF you love our game?

I'm not against a 3rd side IF there is no increase in teams BUT can the competition afford another expansion club? Just because my lot can afford it, that does not excuse financial irresponsibility IF you love our game?

If the demand is there, then it wont be much of a financial drain.
If there isn't, then your argument for a bonus home game falls flat.

More teams, where ever they are will only be due to expansion in club numbers. The AFL is hardly going to fund GC/GWS/Brisbane massively and then tell other clubs hard luck.

Fwiw I'm in favour of a third, BUT based upon a reduction in vic

If the demand is there, then it wont be much of a financial drain.
If there isn't, then your argument for a bonus home game falls flat.

More teams, where ever they are will only be due to expansion in club numbers. The AFL is hardly going to fund GC/GWS/Brisbane massively and then tell other clubs hard luck.

& the cost of a new club, up front is $what ... the players come from the WAFL/VFL/SANFL, its called 2nd tier for a reason aka they arent up to the standard required for AFL footy ( see Tigers lists since the advent of the national comp ), or maybe the success of building underage squads at the Suns & Giants is your preferred position. An extra club,byes, longer season ...
Over & out.

Lewy Jetta expressing home town interest:
Super-quick Sydney premiership player Lewis Jetta is understood be open to a move home to Western Australia at the end of the season.

Jetta is out of contract at season's end and has given indications to friends that he would prefer to return home to Perth, where he is on the radar of West Coast and Fremantle.

Jetta's management has been in discussions with the Swans over a new contract, with the 26-year-old wingman wanting at least three years in a new deal if he decides to stay.

Jetta has not told the Swans he wants a trade but sources confirmed on Wednesday that he was open to the idea of a move, and that while there have been brief talks he was not in hurry to re-commit to the Swans.

The Eagles have asked about Jetta in the past and view his pace as ideally suited to the spaces at Domain Stadium.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/sydney-swan-lewis-jetta-considers-a-move-home-to-western-australia-20150722-giie3i.html#ixzz3geIS4xKn

At the same time, things go the other way too, the Melbourne media seem to think Scooter Selwood is leaving the protective shadow of brother Adam* to ride shotgun for Joel at the Cattery - wishful thinking in my view.

* https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/28522009/selwood-ready-to-go-if-royals-coach-quits/
Selwood, 31, is the East Perth midfield coach and has a development role at the Eagles after playing 187 matches for the club, including the 2006 grand final win. He was also part of the State coaching panel this year and took charge of the midfielders under senior coach Darren Harris, who was impressed by the nous and communication skills of his assistant.

East Perth officials said it was a mark of Selwood’s influence that West Coast rookie Corey Adamson, who switched to baseball at 16 and has only just returned to football after six years in America, has improved so rapidly that he was able to make a strong league debut last Saturday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back