Extra leave for DV victims

Remove this Banner Ad

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Just heard a headline on Ch10 news that Telstra are introducing a new policy where Domestic Violence victims that are employees of Telstra will be given an extra 10 days of leave per year.

Does anyone have more details? Is it reliant on a conviction or only on an allegation?

Is it fair? Is it just like getting additional leave for bereavements or pregnancy?

Will it have any unintended consequences? E.g. false accusations to access the new benefits

What's the reasoning behind it? Is there any particular reason why domestic violence victims need extra days off, as opposed to say rape or general assault victims?

It's inequitable that the policy is designed to support the victims of only one type of social problem and not others.

Telstra’s chief talent officer, Katherine Paroz, said the leave would be available to full-time employees for medical appointments, legal advice or counselling.

“This is a legitimate form of leave and as an iconic Australian organisation we see it as important that we have a prominent role in tackling violence against women,” she said.
http://www.afr.com/p/national/telstra_offers_domestic_violence_IJ2kVTtJIzp3TRMs2Z1d9I

For example, it ignores that non-domestic violence is a much bigger problem than DV.

EXPERIENCE OF VIOLENCE DURING THE LAST 12 MONTHS (a)(b), 18 years and over
ecblank.gif

Males 737,100
Females 467,300

EXPERIENCE OF VIOLENCE FROM A PARTNER DURING THE LAST 12 MONTHS (a)(b)(c), 18 years and over
ecblank.gif

Males 51,800
Females 132,500​

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4125.0main+features5110Feb 2014

“This is a legitimate form of leave and as an iconic Australian organisation we see it as important that we have a prominent role in tackling violence against women,” she said.

Feminists, too, attempt to conflate DV = violence against women rather than being gender neutral. It'll be interesting to see what occurs if a male is denied leave for being a victim of DV, considering she specifically refers to "violence against women".

Feminists, too, attempt to conflate DV = violence against women rather than being gender neutral. It'll be interesting to see what occurs if a male is denied leave for being a victim of DV, considering she specifically refers to "violence against women".

The policy is clearly gender neutral. Making up stories in your head again.

Telstra’s chief talent officer, Katherine Paroz said: “This is a legitimate form of leave and as an iconic Australian organisation we see it as important that we have a prominent role in tackling violence against women,” she said. Thus she equates DV with violence against women, just as the feminists do.

Razorback posted this before, seems to have disappeared for some reason:

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/peop...-offering-staff-domestic-violence-leave.html#

“The Workplace Accreditation program is the world’s first aimed at violence against women in the workplace. It is evidence-based and across all sectors.”

Telstra’s head of diversity and inclusion, Troy Roderick, told SmartCompany the domestic violence leave policy is the culmination of years of work by the telco.“We’ve been working on the issue of men’s violence against women since 2009 and evolved our approach since then. The prevention data showed that we had both survivors and perpetrators in the Telstra family, among staff and customers, and that we had a vital role to play in raising awareness and prevention,” Roderick says.

Doesnt sound gender neutral to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why should it exist?

Legitimate form of leave.... allows victims to deal with the court proceedings.... ... If a company wants to add this form of leave, I really don't see the issue. tbh, I doubt its going to be used extensively. The social stigma of DV is still there.

Legitimate form of leave.... allows victims to deal with the court proceedings.... ... If a company wants to add this form of leave, I really don't see the issue. tbh, I doubt its going to be used extensively. The social stigma of DV is still there.
Why doesn't this leave then extend to all victims of crime who need to deal with court proceedings? And doesn't ordinary forms of leave account for this anyway at many companies?

This kind of carve out looks to many women as a special form of pandering, and for the career focused woman who wants to make it on her own terms, these entitlements can only undermine them.

I'm sure it makes for good social responsibility marketing for Telstra though.

Why doesn't this leave then extend to all victims of crime who need to deal with court proceedings? And doesn't ordinary forms of leave account for this anyway at many companies?

This kind of carve out looks to many women as a special form of pandering, and for the career focused woman who wants to make it on her own terms, these entitlements can only undermine them.

I'm sure it makes for good social responsibility marketing for Telstra though.

Sure I agree, its not fair to other victims of different crime.

I'm going to be interested to hear how its taken up. I don't expect it will be heavily used. ..... its not a policy for women only. Sure, the marketing of it is ~ but the actual policy is open to all full time staff.

It's inequitable that the policy is designed to support the victims of only one type of social problem and not others.

Telstra’s chief talent officer, Katherine Paroz, said the leave would be available to full-time employees for medical appointments, legal advice or counselling.

http://www.afr.com/p/national/telstra_offers_domestic_violence_IJ2kVTtJIzp3TRMs2Z1d9I

For example, it ignores that non-domestic violence is a much bigger problem than DV.

EXPERIENCE OF VIOLENCE DURING THE LAST 12 MONTHS (a)(b), 18 years and over
ecblank.gif

Males 737,100
Females 467,300

EXPERIENCE OF VIOLENCE FROM A PARTNER DURING THE LAST 12 MONTHS (a)(b)(c), 18 years and over
ecblank.gif

Males 51,800
Females 132,500​

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4125.0main features5110Feb 2014
The impact of domestic violence can be significantly more severe than general violence, the abuser (be they male or female - no need for the no girls club to get their knickers in a twist) is a person of trust, there can, and often is children involved, there can be a need to seek alternative accommodation etc

Okay, a shiny ******* 20 cent piece to the first person who can produce a clause from the proposed agreement that states that it only applies to women.
Who said it has to? What makes domestic violence such a special form of violence, or even makes violence such a special form of crime?

Who said it has to? What makes domestic violence such a special form of violence, or even makes violence such a special form of crime?
I have been a victim of domestic violence and random violence. Domestic violence affected me significantly more than being bashed by three guys. The injuries I received from the d/v were negligible, but to have the person I loved physically assault me, having to call the police and genuinely fearing for my safety in my own house was devastating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back