Extra leave for DV victims

Remove this Banner Ad

Husbands Who Yell at Their Wives Face up to 14 Years in Prison Under New Law

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/...s-face-up-to-14-years-in-prison-under-new-law

For now, this new law only applies in England where leftist lunacy is far more advanced than in America, but it’s a good illustration of where our society is headed if we don’t reverse course.

Men who exercise “coercive control” over their partners by restricting their personal or financial freedom, or through overt criticism could face up to 14 years in jail under new laws set to be announced by Home Secretary Theresa May this week. Campaigners, who have been arguing for a change in the law to bring emotional abuse into line legally with physical abuse, have praised the proposals as a “major step forward”.

The new law will be introduced as a series of amendments to the Serious Crime Bill, and will alter the legal definition of domestic abuse to include psychological, as well as physical damage. It is expected to pass into law in the new year.

Seema Malhotra, Labour’s shadow anti-domestic violence minister, suggested earlier this year that husbands criticizing their wives weight or appearance may be guilty of domestic abuse. “It can be part of a pattern of controlling behavior that leaves people feeling fearful and terrorized in their own homes,” she said, and may be an “indicator of physical abuse in the future”.

The implication for women having extra days off work if this law were to be enacted in Australia would likely leave many a job vacancy.

Husbands Who Yell at Their Wives Face up to 14 Years in Prison Under New Law

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/...s-face-up-to-14-years-in-prison-under-new-law

For now, this new law only applies in England where leftist lunacy is far more advanced than in America, but it’s a good illustration of where our society is headed if we don’t reverse course.

Men who exercise “coercive control” over their partners by restricting their personal or financial freedom, or through overt criticism could face up to 14 years in jail under new laws set to be announced by Home Secretary Theresa May this week. Campaigners, who have been arguing for a change in the law to bring emotional abuse into line legally with physical abuse, have praised the proposals as a “major step forward”.

The new law will be introduced as a series of amendments to the Serious Crime Bill, and will alter the legal definition of domestic abuse to include psychological, as well as physical damage. It is expected to pass into law in the new year.

Seema Malhotra, Labour’s shadow anti-domestic violence minister, suggested earlier this year that husbands criticizing their wives weight or appearance may be guilty of domestic abuse. “It can be part of a pattern of controlling behavior that leaves people feeling fearful and terrorized in their own homes,” she said, and may be an “indicator of physical abuse in the future”.

The implication for women having extra days off work if this law were to be enacted in Australia would likely leave many a job vacancy.

There's going to be a lot of women locked up if the police enforce this impartially.

10 days? which company offers an additional 10 days cultural leave??? Most I have seen is 2-3.
It's actually a massive beat up. It is for time to attend counselling and court, time would've been provided for these previously by management but it would've come from the employees sick leave (most likely) or annual leave. They've put it in so that employees don't use up other forms of leave to deal with these issues.

There's a range. Some companies offer cultural leave as unpaid. The ATO offers 10 days in any period of two years. The CSU Enterprise Agreement allows up to ten paid days per calendar year. The South Australian government offers up to 15 paid days per year.
I don't have the time at the moment to look at all those, but I do note that the Charles Sturt example is much broader than cultural leave, pecial leave may use special leave for:
(i) concurrent parental leave within three (3) months of their current partner giving birth to a child for

whom the employee has parental responsibilities;
(ii) giving birth to a child for whom the employee has parental responsibilities, where the employee is
not eligible for paid maternity leave;
(iii) taking custody of a foster child for whom the employee has parental responsibilities;
(iv) attending meetings or training associated with his or her union delegate activities;
(v) a life-threatening illness, serious injury or death of a member of the employee's immediate family
or their same household;
(vi) situations of domestic violence that an employee may be experiencing and if the leave entitlement
in 43.5 is exhausted;
(vii) cultural or religious obligations of significance;
(viii) an employee who is a member of an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander community to prepare for
or attend National Aboriginal and Islander Day Observance Committee (NAIDOC) Week functions;
(ix) activities of direct benefit to the community (for example blood donation, and emergency
assistance including fire-fighting); or
(x) attendance, and travel to, and from examinations for courses approved by the University,
retirement seminars or personal emergency situations such as fighting fires or floods.

I've been involved in discussions around inclusion of Domestic Violence Leave in EBAs. A lot of people here are talking out their arse.

Often a victim of domestic violence suffers from an increase in absences from work etc. It's not a crime that purely takes place in a person's home and is then left behind. Generally speaking, rape victims aren't getting raped repeatedly over a prolonged period of time, as is often the case for victims of domestic violence. While they would need many similar concerns to be addressed (counselling, potential relocation dependent on the assailant etc) the purpose of the leave isn't completely about that - abusive partners often show up at a victim's workplace and start a scene, that's not so much the case with rapists.

Why not have it under that ambiguous, catch-all, hold-all title of 'compassionate leave'? It could mean anything.

Because its much more likely to be taken. this is the best of both worlds.
company looks like good guys by giving employees a new type of leave for a very serious issue.

and to claim it all they have to do is fill in a form and speak to a total stranger from HR and say i need leave because my husband bashed me/wife beat with a frying pan.

if they do compassionate leave a legit reason is "personal stuff" and hence employees are much more likely to use it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to say, that I don't understand why this thread wasn't ended with the facts linked in your posts... but we all know this was never going to be a thread based around facts. More another equality bashing thread.

Muslims or feminists... reading some comments, I don't know which I should be more scared of...
Carbon tax will destroy us!!
Mining super profits tax will destroy the poor!
Health care will kill you!
Welfare is the devil!
Shouting from authority has taken over any realistic chance of factual discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back