Mega Thread 2014 FA, Trades, Rumours and Facts (pre-draft thread).

Remove this Banner Ad

Cameron won't be a free agent -just out of contract. Will cost an arm and a leg -unless we wait 5 years for him to become a free agent.
by the time cameron becomes a free agent, moore will be fully developed and primed for a partnership with another fully developed player like cameron
by then the cloke and clarke era will trully be over.

What reward is there in bringing this young talent through only to see it poached 6-8 years down the track? Melbourne are in this hole due to their own poor decisions it's not the systems fault.
The reward is obvious, so no need to explain that again.
The bolded part caught my eye, why reward incompetence? If a team makes the correct decisions they should rise up the ladder with their early draft picks/draw etc, as they have been granted an advantage for the future.
So in this case Melbournes poor decisions results in them gaining picks 2 & 3 in the draft.
It's nonsense on stilts.

afl should prevent the top 5 clubs each year from being able to participate in free agency. That way it prevents the strong clubs getting stronger.

The reward is obvious, so no need to explain that again.
The bolded part caught my eye, why reward incompetence? If a team makes the correct decisions they should rise up the ladder with their early draft picks/draw etc, as they have been granted an advantage for the future.
So in this case Melbournes poor decisions results in them gaining picks 2 & 3 in the draft.
It's nonsense on stilts.

Was it incompetence when we lost Daisy last year? Or when the Bulldogs lost Ward? Or the Demons Scully? Unfortunately this isn't black and white so the system is in place to take care of the grey. As much as I'd like to see Melbourne stay down for a while longer (it's now almost as funny as Carlton's struggles) it eventually becomes a drain on the competition.

The longer they struggle the more we need to help prop them up. Yeah they've been incompetent in the past, but that shouldn't play a part in them getting fair reward for a player leaving this year.

At the end of the day Frawley is the one being selfish in this instance not Melbourne. IMO, he should stick around to be part of the solution not add to the problem. It's a big reason why I was never keen on him with us he just doesn't have the mental resilience to tough it out.

that would seriously screw the bottom clubs though.
I bet the Saints rise again. Port Adelaide did, Hawthorn did, Collingwood did, Adelaide did....over the past 15 years. The system works, if the club is well managed.
Melbourne have been a rabble...charity doesn't work...never has.

Restriction of trade anyone?
there has to be a way to seriously nullify the top 5 clubs from participating in free agency. that way clubs from 6 onwards will be able to regenerate and go towards the top 5 . clubs in top 5 will have to find ways to stay upthere with out relying on preying on the week clubs to plug in their holes.

this system will work well in maintaining an even playing field and also giving the bottom clubs a chance to better hold on to their players.

I bet the Saints rise again. Port Adelaide did, Hawthorn did, Collingwood did, Adelaide did....over the past 15 years. The system works, if the club is well managed.
that is true. strong front office often leads to a quicker revival.

there has to be a way to seriously nullify the top 5 clubs from participating in free agency. that way clubs from 6 onwards will be able to regenerate and go towards the top 5 . clubs in top 5 will have to find ways to stay upthere with out relying on preying on the week clubs to plug in their holes.

this system will work well in maintaining an even playing field and also giving the bottom clubs a chance to better hold on to their players.
Doesn't the NFL have something like this? Top teams can only sign a FA if they had one taken from them? Not exactly sure. Maybe teams that finished in the top 4 still have to trade fairly for the player from lower clubs with an AFL panel there to tick off the deal?

Perhaps this is where trading future draft picks can assist in a more speedy rebuild?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an interesting observation that St Kilda will rise again. Do you believe it will be on the back of players such as Acres, Lee, Longer and White? All 4 came to their club as a result of FA compensation picks.

Reiwoldt came as a result of Saints bottom feeding. Roughead and Franklin at Hawks. Some clubs like South Melbourne went decades without playing finals. The system definitely works.

Reiwoldt came as a result of Saints bottom feeding. Roughead and Franklin at Hawks. Some clubs like South Melbourne went decades without playing finals. The system definitely works.
Not to mention Thomas at the Pies. We are just as guilty as any club of benefiting from poor performances.

Not to mention Thomas at the Pies. We are just as guilty as any club of benefiting from poor performances.

Well we only had to do it once. Not like St Kilda and Carltank

that's not how it works unfortunately

The Demons are not guaranteed to get pick 3. Shifter said on TAC Future Stars that there is a secret formula that determines what pick it should be, but the committee, which he is on can still recommend an alternative such as a mid first round or end of first round pick.

The Demons are not guaranteed to get pick 3. Shifter said on TAC Future Stars that there is a secret formula that determines what pick it should be, but the committee, which he is on can still recommend an alternative such as a mid first round or end of first round pick.
It's hard to see how they could possibly not get band 1 compo if the numbers being thrown around for his services are accurate.

Would hav to include a later draft pick for us, surely. 15 games in 3 years , and on top of that he has had depression.
Clark may hav greater upside but if u cant get on the ground that means nothing.

Prefer a mid-late 2nd round pick for lumumba and giving them mid-late 3rd pick for clark

I doubt that be a Trade.

Might be Lumumba for Clark and a 3rd round Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back