Mega Thread 2014 FA, Trades, Rumours and Facts (pre-draft thread).

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't really be bothered going through the whole thread but the player we are enquiring about from Adelaide isn't Dangerfield, it is Rory Sloane. Had it confirmed by a source at the club.
His sister has been working at my work, it's not happening any time soon. He is well and truly a Crow.

Fas to be a goal kicking wingman as soon as he starts running both ways. Would love to see him deliver up forward when in space

I'd rather he just be a goal kicking half forward in the mould of Alan Didak.

God I miss the days of Didak, Davis and Medhurst terrorising defences.

Well we might as well just keep our Draft Picks as just about every player has been put up.

People just straight away come out and say he is a Hack:rolleyes:

The bolded part is actually a reasonable plan. ;)

Most of the players available are mediocre-to-poor. If they were good players, their clubs would have been giving them the opportunities/money required to stop them leaving.

Players' worth is routinely inflated at this time of year. And people get into the buying mindset and feel they need to get something and beat others to the punch buying. That can be a bad combination.

Happy to be pretty conservative on trading and FA.

Can't really be bothered going through the whole thread but the player we are enquiring about from Adelaide isn't Dangerfield, it is Rory Sloane. Had it confirmed by a source at the club.

I hope that's true, I would love him to come to the Pies and would be cheaper than Dangerfield.

Some clubs may be looking for salary cap relief, so as part of a deal for a contracted player, would offering to pay some of their cap in a trade be a little more enticing for say a Gws, GC, Swans?

Some clubs may be looking for salary cap relief, so as part of a deal for a contracted player, would offering to pay some of their cap in a trade be a little more enticing for say a Gws, GC, Swans?

I was thinking Dan Hannebery from Sydney, bring him back to Melbourne.

Last edited:
The bolded part is actually a reasonable plan. ;)

Most of the players available are mediocre-to-poor. If they were good players, their clubs would have been giving them the opportunities/money required to stop them leaving.

Players' worth is routinely inflated at this time of year. And people get into the buying mindset and feel they need to get something and beat others to the punch buying. That can be a bad combination.

Happy to be pretty conservative on trading and FA.

Agreed.

The free agency crop is rubbish. Who is the biggest name? James Frawley? Patty Rider?

These guys are not top 5 players at your club. The rest of those available are role players at best.

If the offers we receive are picks or 'ok' players, i take the pick every day of the week.

Yes, it makes us 'younger', but why bring in experience that is average at best and deny time and development to the kids?

Whatever our plan is, i hope we go about it properly. If we're doing a rebuild, retool or whatever, do it properly. Don't half ass it. It only stalls things further.

We need Josh Thomas to be part of the middle group. I see him in the group of Pendlebury, Swan and Adams.

Freeman will start across half forward but will he be a goal kicking half forward?

Broomhead clearly can play and is a beauty. Tick.

Fas was being wasted at half back.

Fas played his last couple of games as a half forward anyways. Josh Thomas will rotate through half-forward and the midfield. Freeman will kick goals across the half-forward line.

I think :
-Get : lumumba deal done
-Pick 8 on moore
-Maybe use pick 28 and 24 (lumumba deal)and move up the draft.or combine those 2 for a ready made mid mid fron anither club. Hine might go after a big body midfielder.
-Sort the beams issue

Other then that we should just remain quite

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of Hunt, I know that he was thrown up as a possible trade to Collingwood for Shaw last year. He definitely won't be at Geelong next year- apart from leg speed and being a bit of a hard nut, not sure if I'd want him at the Pies. I think he is probably just a better version of Mitch Robinson

My prediction/hope:

Beams to Brisbane in exchange for pick 4 and Daniel Merritt
Hertier Lumumba and Daniel Merritt to Melbourne in exchange for Priority Pick (19) received for losing James Frawley and pick 39
James Frawley to Collingwood
Priority Pick 19 (gained from Melbourne) used to Nominate Darcy Moore
Pick 8 to GWS in exchange for Jono O'Rourke

Collingwood then gains:
Pick 4
Pick 19 (Darcy Moore)
Pick 39
James Frawley
Jono O'Rourke

And loses:
Dayne Beams
Hertier Lumumba
Pick 8

pinky951 Bidding on F/S takes place before any trading, so it's either pick 8 or pick 28 for Moore. We can't trade out 8 and use another pick on him.

Also, we can't trade in a player like Merrett then on-trade him, you can only on-trade picks.

pinky951 Bidding on F/S takes place before any trading, so it's either pick 8 or pick 28 for Moore. We can't trade out 8 and use another pick on him.

Also, we can't trade in a player like Merrett then on-trade him, you can only on-trade picks.

Well then my dreams are dashed. I have seen the three way deal work though I am sure? Do Melbourne have to trade anything back to Brisbane in order to get Merritt?

I would take out the pick 19 thing for Moore and just hope we get pick 19 and can use pick 28 for Moore

Well then my dreams are dashed. I have seen the three way deal work though I am sure? Do Melbourne have to trade anything back to Brisbane in order to get Merritt?

I would take out the pick 19 thing for Moore and just hope we get pick 19 and can use pick 28 for Moore
Yeah, if somehow no one else bids and makes us use pick 8 on Moore, our trade period is almost instantly a win. (Assuming the Beams trade doesn't screw us too hard).

You can do a three way deal, eg. Melb give us 19, Brisbane gives us 4 and Dees Merrett and we give Brisbane Beams. But it all has to happen as one trade, rather than say us getting 4 and Merrett and then auctioning off Merrett to multiple clubs.

My prediction/hope:

Beams to Brisbane in exchange for pick 4 and Daniel Merritt
Hertier Lumumba and Daniel Merritt to Melbourne in exchange for Priority Pick (19) received for losing James Frawley and pick 39
James Frawley to Collingwood
Priority Pick 19 (gained from Melbourne) used to Nominate Darcy Moore
Pick 8 to GWS in exchange for Jono O'Rourke

Collingwood then gains:
Pick 4
Pick 19 (Darcy Moore)
Pick 39
James Frawley
Jono O'Rourke

And loses:
Dayne Beams
Hertier Lumumba
Pick 8
That can not happen, we have to bid on Moore before the trade period starts and Frawley will not come to the Pies and I don't think we would be to interested in him

Any big sized mids from other clubs we can target with pick 28 and potentially pick 24?

I like him too and disappointed he looks likely to be on the way out.
He's aggressive, has courage and is also fast.
Not the biggest midfielder (184cm) but he was looking like a very promising tagger until his form dropped away dramatically last year when he returned from a shoulder injury.
Not the best decision maker by foot either but as a pure tagger, that's where he's best suited and would be a very good pickup at a team like Collingwood as they tend to go with Macaffer for those lock down roles, but he just seems to be cursed with knee problems unfortunately.

seems to be a recurring theme here...

Okay I have attempted to complete the most complicated trade deal in history which IMO is the fairest a deal can be done. Few key points:

- Beams wants to go, Pick 4 and Sam Mayes come to us with Pick 45 joining the Lions
- Patfull wants to go to a Sydney club, a first rounder IMO is sufficient, so Pick 20 will join the Lions
- Liam Sumner & Mark Whiley have been linked with Collingwood. Jarryd Blair is our only uncontracted senior player at our club (EDIT: He is not uncontracted, but neither is Beams or Lumumba ;)) and they want senior players. We send along Pick 64 as a sweetener.
- Lumumba wants out so Pick 22 is appropriate compensation
- St Kilda have been linked with Jacksch and O'Rourke for their Pick 1. I've chucked in Pick 40 (EDIT: Pick 23 decided after Twitter conversation) from the Giants to make this deal complete.

Overall
Brisbane
IN: Beams, Pick 20, Pick 45
OUT: Patfull, Pick 4, Mayes

Collingwood
IN: Pick 22, Pick 4, Mayes, Sumner, Whiley
OUT: Beams, Lumumba, Pick 45, Blair, Pick 64

GWS Giants
IN: Patfull, Pick 1, Blair, Pick 64
OUT: Jacksh, O'Rourke, Whiley, Sumner, Pick 20, Pick 23

Melbourne
IN: Lumumba