Mega Thread 2014 FA, Trades, Rumours and Facts (pre-draft thread).

popin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers, Craig lowndes
WHO CARES TALKING ABOUT GEELONG........ :)

So Broomy still a Strong Chance of Returning too SA then?
I wouldn't say strong chance, but until an announcement is made, there are no guarantees.

For what it's worth, I think they will both stay, but I'll feel a lot better once an announcement is made.

Hate to tell you Dave, but saying you're working through a contract negotiation is a far cry from 'committing' to the club.
Until pen goes to paper, anything is impossible unfortunately.
Exactly. Daisy was working on his contract as well.....jumpers out of bins.....egg on face.
It's only confirmed when in writing. The delay is a concern.

Does that sound like someone who is also Rumoured to Leave would Say?

A player will never give an indication that they intend to leave.

There is no good reason for them to do so.

There are only bad reasons for them to do so.

Firstly, the player's manager would shoot them if they gave any indication of leaving, even internally to the club. That is because it would undermine the manager's ability to negotiate a good contract for the player. Remember, the player managers are on commission - IIRC around 10%. Reckon Conners could have negotiated a 4 + 1 year deal for Daisy on $750kpa if Daisy had come out and said "I desperately want to get out of Collingwood and follow Mick to Carlton"???

Secondly, the club would shoot the player if they said in the media that they wanted to leave the club. That's because it'd be an unwanted distraction to the current season. Does the coach select the player or not? There will be members and fans with fitchforks laying siege to the club either way.

The most a player will say is "I want to put off my contract talks until after the end of the season". In the case of Buddy, Scully and Daisy it meant "I what to get out of here". In the case if Cloke (and others) it meant "I want to stay, but I want more money."

Never believe anything a player says when they're talking about their contract. Ignore the "wanna be a one club player", or "I wanna use this year to prove myself and put off contract talk until the end", etc, etc. That's just bulldust their manager or media trainer has coached them to say.

We have no idea whether they're saying the truth (sometimes) or lying through their teeth (sometimes).

A player will never give an indication that they intend to leave.

There is no good reason for them to do so.

There are only bad reasons for them to do so.

Firstly, the player's manager would shoot them if they gave any indication of leaving, even internally to the club. That is because it would undermine the manager's ability to negotiate a good contract for the player. Remember, the player managers are on commission - IIRC around 10%. Reckon Conners could have negotiated a 4 + 1 year deal for Daisy on $750kpa if Daisy had come out and said "I desperately want to get out of Collingwood and follow Mick to Carlton"???

Secondly, the club would shoot the player if they said in the media that they wanted to leave the club. That's because it'd be an unwanted distraction to the current season. Does the coach select the player or not? There will be members and fans with fitchforks laying siege to the club either way.

The most a player will say is "I want to put off my contract talks until the end of the season". In the case of Buddy, Scully and Daisy it meant "I what to get out of here". In the case if Cloke (and others) it meant "I want to stay, but I want more money."

Never believe anything a player says when they're talking about their contract. Ignore the "wanna be a one club player", or "I wanna use this year to prove myself and put off contract talk until the end", etc, etc. That's just stuff their manager or media trainer has coached them to say.

We have no idea whether they're saying the truth (sometimes) or lying through their teeth (sometimes).

True but they don’t talk up the Team if they are leaving.

They will say something like Contract Talks are still in Progress and that is about it.

I wouldn't say strong chance, but until an announcement is made, there are no guarantees.

For what it's worth, I think they will both stay, but I'll feel a lot better once an announcement is made.

We all fill 100% better when the Announcment is made but I only give it 1-2% Chance of them Leaving

Collingwood have reportedly approached retiring West Coast ruckman, Dean Cox about a potential one-year deal that would involve a playing/coaching role with an eye to a full-time ruck coach at the club.

I still doubt he would move over to Victoria.

Though I guess we can only Ask

https://www.facebook.com/AFLSeasonAndOffSeasonNews

True but they don’t talk up the Team if they are leaving.

Yes, they do talk up the team if they're in a club organised press conference beside two team-mates ahead of a match (as BK was)

DAWESOME!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's so not worth getting bent out of shape about at this point. (or ultimately at any point). We can't affect the outcome or know what the outcome will be at this point. BK and Broomy will stay or they'll go or one will stay and the other go. Either way, life will go on and stressing about it now won't make any difference.

It's so not worth getting bent out of shape about at this point. (or ultimately at any point). We can't affect the outcome or know what the outcome will be at this point. BK and Broomy will stay or they'll go or one will stay and the other go. Either way, life will go on and stressing about it now won't make any difference.

Well Kennedy has said he would say and drafted_hawks has pretty much said the same thing about Broomhead

Kennedy or broomehead who would u rather? I'd take Kennedy

Tough One - Very Even but Probably just Leaning towards Broomhead. More Consistent and better user of the Ball. A

And that might be true or it might be bullshit. We can't know and trying to get to a point where you think you know for sure what will happen is a waste of time. Just roll with it.

Well I am just saying what I think and What has been sad.

What does everyone think is most likely this trade offseason for us?

As per every year there'll be stuff that won't surprise you, there'll be stuff that may seem a bit unexpected, and there'll be stuff that'll be crazy left field that nobody saw coming.

2013:

Unsurprising: Scharenberg, Freeman, Daisy leaving

A bit unexpected: trading up to pick 6, White, Paine for Karnezis,

Crazy left field: Armstrong, Langdon, Marsh, Shaw for Adams

2012:

Unsurprising: Grundy, Kennedy, Wellingham for 17

A bit unexpected: Ramsay, Dawes for a first round pick replaced by Lynch, Young

Crazy left field: Broomhead, Hudson, Russell

DAWESOME!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Very tough with Mitch. Think people, including himself need to have pretty muted expectations of him coming back in. The time away might have given him the space to get a handle on his illness, or might not have, and either way there will be challenges to overcome in coming back.

My impression was that Melbourne had treated him well throughout the process and if that is the case, I'd like to see him go back to Melbourne. Otherwise certainly worth a look at the right price.

Edit: or stay in WA if that will help him feel better while returning to work.

Well if the leave then they are A-Holes

No, not really.

The club's media department want to keep the fans happy, they make a big deal out of our first three 2012 draft picks getting selected together for the first time.

What's a player to do?

And if they're asked in that press conference what their playing ambitions are, what are they say?

They're all playing the game - the clubs, the players and the player managers.

The media love it because it gives them something to fill up any empty pages in newspapers, or SEN something to talk about to fill the silence.

It all means nothing.

Even if a player is contracted it means nothing.

Chris Dawes had a year left on his contract when we traded him. Heath Shaw had two years left on his contract when we traded him.

Back