Preview FACE OFF: Round 22 - North Melbourne v Adelaide @ Bellerive Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm over it, unless you're one of the 'cool kids' on this board and agree that everything is s**t, then your opinion doesn't matter.

I reckon Kerridge should have replaced Wright, but I think Grigg has been rubbish this year and I'm not sorry to see him back in the SANFL.

Well said.

Agreed about Grigg, he's been mostly underwhelming and deserves to be dropped. People want him picked on what they saw from a couple of early games, but he hasn't consistently re-created that form. Maybe he hasn't been given the opportunity, but his position is one we have a lot of people fighting for. He's also a young player so will always be dropped first, especially when a spot in the finals is on the line.

Thompson has been our best midfielder this year, if he's fit he plays so that selection is a no-brainer. I imagine Kerridge will be the traveling emergency in case he doesn't get up.

Shaw hamstring again?! That guy's body is as bad as his kicking. Rutten is the only logical inclusion given Hartigan and Otten are both gone for the season.

Laird destroyed it in the SANFL and deserves another shot. Hopefully he gets time in defence as that's where he's really suited.

Overall fairly standard changes given the position we're in. Would've liked to see M. Crouch get another game before the end of the year, but i'm happy enough with Lyons getting another shot. Hopefully he ain't the sub!

Tip - North by 17

I am still flummoxed, by our review process that are supposedly brutal affairs and yet players that are clearly out of form like Douggy and Hendo stay in and players under an injury cloud which could rear its head at any stage...Thommo are picked. Who takes the fall or the blame for the Richmond result???

Well let's look at who has dropped out.
Grigg who can kick a goal from outside 50 (looking at you Wrighty), lefty and makes good decisions, been good coming on when the Chief and Mookay went down, been sub so let's blame our shite first half on a guy who wasn't even on the field. Maybe Shaw who has to be on the block at the end of the year...a slight breeze and his hammy's tighten up, poor disposal, but he is tall and can run, just don't give him the ball. And lastly 4YrMookay who was probably saved from being dropped by knocking himself out.

Statement made by the club...when the chips are down, we'll back a defender two games from retirement and a champ who may or may not be able to run out the whole game, we'll just cross our fingers that no one doesn't crunch him in a tackle...lucky we didn't say anything about this in our presser today...
We did however pick a small defender who had 40+ touches last week, but we won't play as a small defender because we like the less than 10 possessions we are getting out of Brown atm. Sorry young guys, keep smashing it in the SANFL, but sorry not going to give you the chance to show what you've got in a must win game.

I understand the cupboard is bare with Rutten's selection, but even if he was sick last week, the fact remains that he is now too slow to play as a key defender, Pods would have been better in a key defensive possie.

So no statement made, no accountability for the loss for anyone apart from Grigg and pick two players who may or may not be up to running out a full game of AFL football...my avatar has never been so apt.

Aren't you the one saying Grigg has been s**t? Or is that the negative posters?
Didn't you hear the one where BACCS was calling for Grigg to come in and when he didn't he reckoned he had been ordinary and agreed with the clubs decision? Ranks up there with Vader reckoning Smith was in our best against Collingwood only for weeks later to give Doughty the credit.

How many games has Grigg played, career, this year, and how many of those as a sub?
I wonder after the coaches sat down after last season and put together their plan for Mitch Grigg whether this was it?

A handful of games up forward, a stretch in the SANFL then a depth/sub player. And finish up out of the team.

12 months of progress to end up behind where he was 12 months ago.

It's *almost* as though we don't have any plan or vision for our players or, if we do, it gets tossed in a panic after our first loss.

I wonder after the coaches sat down after last season and put together their plan for Mitch Grigg whether this was it?

A handful of games up forward, a stretch in the SANFL then a depth/sub player. And finish up out of the team.

It's *almost* as though we don't have any plan or vision for our players or, if we do, it gets tossed in a panic after our first loss.
This. There is no plan when you stick by a best 22 poxy philosophy that has managed to win us nothing since 1998.

when you look at the real world scenario's about our selected side there ain't a whole lot to get up and about on,
we appear to have added to our team issues at the selection table...

Thommo in... chances are that he'll ping somewhere during the game...why cant he be brought back in the magoos?...gold pass prefer M Crouch
Truck in... once ever reliable, but watching the magoos last week, he must have trained well... gold pass I'd prefer Pods covering in Defense
Laird in... will he get a defensive post? its doubtful... leaves him in the no man's role...which saw him lose his mojo...I wish him well but he's on a hiding to nothing, much like Lyons...
with the general thinking being that gold passes have been handed to Wright, "Halfway" Henderson, the small forward Jenkins, and Dougie - WTF is going on with that lad...?

heading fast back into the NC wonder years, yep a spike and back to s**t... someone please shed some light as to where the light is - at the end of the tunnel? I cant see it...the big broom is required.

does anyone honestly think this is our best 22 or in some way moving toward it?...making up the numbers is fun if you don't care!

Grigg, like Lyons, is another midfielder who we persist on playing on a flank when they should be given more time in the centre circle. I mean, I like what Brodie Martin has offered this year but why does he get more time in the centre when Grigg/Lyons get none? He's much better suited to a flank/wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from 5-6, the rest of the list is nothing more than good ordinary players. The challenge for them individually is to the improve to be come really good players. The onus is also on the club to allow that, and not allow ones that stagnate so much time in the team. Those on an upward trend should be given every opportunity.

Grigg, like Lyons, is another midfielder who we persist on playing on a flank when they should be given more time in the centre circle. I mean, I like what Brodie Martin has offered this year but why does he get more time in the centre when Grigg/Lyons get none? He's much better suited to a flank/wing.

it stands out like hairy dogs balls on the chin of a supermodel... has footy changed that much?
sando's play book is straight from the "mein kampf into siberia we go lads" section.

He's the poster child for a complete lack of vision/foresight.

Remember in pre-season when he was the bloke who was tearing up the track and ready to break out?

Has not played a single game in the middle this year. What a waste of a year.

I agree with BACCS, Grigg has sucked. But we've set him up nicely to suck.

He's the poster child for a complete lack of vision/foresight.

Remember in pre-season when he was the bloke who was tearing up the track and ready to break out?

Has not played a single game in the middle this year. What a waste of a year.

I agree with BACCS, Grigg has sucked. But we've set him up nicely to suck.
I reckon this comes down to Grigg himself, not the coaches. It seemed to me he just thought it would all come this year, without realising he still had to work hard and improve his game.

Who do we think have actually improved this year on our list?
I would only put down these players in this order:
1. Jaensch - really has improved a lot!
2. Smith
3. Talia

So, is Milburn the only one actually doing something good down there?

Basically every other player has gone backwards or stayed the same or returned to the previous year (Jacobs).

Even in the SANFL! Siggins has improved and LJ looks like he could be something in the backline and LT is getting a go.

Just don't understand it, hoping we have a good review of the coaching staff and leaders around the club.

Grigg in his last couple

rnd 21 29% game time - 11 possessions, 3 tackles, 63% efficiency
rnd 20 55% GT - 15 p, 2 t, 73% effic
rnd 19 40% GT - 9 p, 1 t, 66% effic
rnd 18 26% GT - 9 p, 0 t, 88% effic

contrast with gold pass henderson
rnd 21 85% GT - 12 p, 2 t, 58% eff
rnd 20 85% GT - 12 p, 0 t, 66% eff
rnd 19 82% GT - 17 p, 1 t, 58% eff
rnd 18 82% GT - 22 p, 2 t, 72% eff

Remove this Banner Ad

Back