Society & Culture Facebook

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never had a facebook account. Lame and deceitful. This article reinforces it based on their latest privacy settings. The "Ratting On Your Friends" section disgusts me.
http://saintsal.com/facebook/
Thanks for that rod (seriously, thanks!), I've been wanting to get off for a few months now and that article was the final push I needed.

Haven't used it in over a week and can safely say I miss nothing about it. Facebook keep sending me emails saying all kinds of rubbish about "missing out" and I have all these messages awaiting me. Only reason I haven't deleted it is because I have some people I met travelling on there and if I happen to be in there country in the near future would be good to catch up.

Now when I have a s**t I just stick to reading BBC or something worthwhile other than looking at people pretending their life isn't miserable.

Been off it for a month and a half, don't miss it at all. So instead of wasting time reading pointless posts on there, I spend some spare time reading slightly less pointless posts on here :p

Only reason I haven't deleted it is because I have some people I met travelling on there and if I happen to be in there country in the near future would be good to catch up.

This is the main reason I keep FB. I can't see any other real easy way to keep track of all the people i've met traveling.

There needs to be a "travelers" social network, minus all the privacy concerns. If it was used as commonly as FB then I would happily leave FB all together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

saw a girl write a status along the lines of "Omg it's a storm! have to update my status about it!" as a kind of ironical jab at people who updated their statuses about the storm in Perth. What she fails to realise is that her status is 100x worse.

Daniel Chick's facebook is class, the bloke has clearly lost the plot, has an alter ego called 'Princess' and openly admits to being addicted to pr0n in his statuses.

morganfreemanhemad.jpg

I've never had a facebook account. Lame and deceitful. This article reinforces it based on their latest privacy settings. The "Ratting On Your Friends" section disgusts me.
Very good read. I feel like a dick being on fb for the 3rd time. But try communicating with uni students without facebook. What do you think about
1. Using a fake name(i do)
2. Using one browser for facebook only
3. Not using facebook app or messenger. i need to do this.
4. Being true to my original purpose and post nothing on fb only chat.

does my tablet keep geodata history that facebook can get at any time. probs why i want to delete the app.

I also have google, and doubt thats àny better.

Really good article.

A lot of people don't realise how much they are giving up with facebook. They basically have an army of programmers thinking of algorithms to best track what you are doing, and an army of marketers working out ways to sell that information.

Unfortunately if I was to get off it, I would lose contact with a lot of people that I have semi regular communication with who live overseas. I reckon about 30% of my friends list are people who live overseas, mainly Ireland. I could try going the e-mail path with them, but I know what they are like, and I don't think it would work. I also run my footy clubs facebook page, and a couple of other pages for people that I did websites for.

I don't really post much anyway, so most of the information facebook tracks on me are what people tag me in. Getting rid of facebook won't prevent that, so it's not of an overly significant benefit doing so for me. Just looking on my wall and in the past year, I've posted one thing (Phil Hughes) on my wall, and shared two posts from other pages. November 2013 was the previous time I posted on my own wall. I've also accepted 9 posts from others onto my timeline in that time. So by and large I'm pretty inactive which is good.

If I was ever to become a public figure it might be interesting as there is a lot of openness about drug taking in private messages (nothing about dealing - just talking about big weekends), some pictures of me looking in some very ordinary states, and there is a lot of anti-government, anti-media, pro-drug, anti-system pages on my likes list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back