Society & Culture Facebook

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a cousin who has a 1 year old daughter and get so many updates and photos and have to hear how wonderful her daughter is every day, it gets a bit much. Today she posted that how funny it was that her daughter at the supermarket shook her milk and covered the guy behind her and the checkout girl in milk. She noted they were not impressed, but said nothing- then she again emphasized how funny it was. I replied "hilarious", hopefully the sarcasm is obvious. Time to just block her I think!

I have a cousin who has a 1 year old daughter and get so many updates and photos and have to hear how wonderful her daughter is every day, it gets a bit much. Today she posted that how funny it was that her daughter at the supermarket shook her milk and covered the guy behind her and the checkout girl in milk. She noted they were not impressed, but said nothing- then she again emphasized how funny it was. I replied "hilarious", hopefully the sarcasm is obvious. Time to just block her I think!
Or, or!

Screenshot the post and/or click share, and share it to the Facebook page of the supermarket it happened at

Bit of a trend forming in this thread where people would only prefer to use a facebook-style social network for travel purposes or staying in touch with friends / family overseas. Could be a business opportunity there to create a dedicated "travelers social network". And perhaps tie it in with something like Trip Advisor or Airbnb or Couch surfers.

http://www.wayn.com/

it's been around longer than facebook - I signed up to it atleast 10 or more years ago after a friend went overseas and she sent me a link to join it to keep in touch..

I never really used it and she was the only one I knew who had it.. but I just thought of it then in lieu of the last couple of posts..

however I have no idea whether their privacy settings are better or worse or similar to facebook

Somehow I think the sarcasm will be lost on her.

This girl keeps putting stuff up about feminism and sexism And the articles are so onesided and downright wrong. Its always about her isnt it. At least by having facebook its given me the chance to know how what shes like. there are plenty of ways guys are ****ed over in a stupid society.

My newsfeed has been absolutely spammed with ads today - every 3rd or 4th post is a "sponsored" post. Doesn't normally happen, so what is fb playing at?

My newsfeed has been absolutely spammed with ads today - every 3rd or 4th post is a "sponsored" post. Doesn't normally happen, so what is fb playing at?
Only on the tablet. Pc got ad block. Most of my news feed is spam anyway.

100 days to holiday cant wait
75 days, taking so long
50 days half way there
25 days, hurry ul already
3 days to go, so close, so excited wooop!
At airport, goodbye guys ill miss you
132 posts per day complete with pictures and 52 pointless emoticons. And petarded hashtags
having time of life, amazing.
back on plane headed home, im so sad to leave
back in australia
1st of this and that.
big long post about the whole experience as if we didnt already know.

Only on the tablet. Pc got ad block. Most of my news feed is spam anyway.

100 days to holiday cant wait
75 days, taking so long
50 days half way there
25 days, hurry ul already
3 days to go, so close, so excited wooop!
At airport, goodbye guys ill miss you
132 posts per day complete with pictures and 52 pointless emoticons. And petarded hashtags
having time of life, amazing.
back on plane headed home, im so sad to leave
back in australia
1st of this and that.
big long post about the whole experience as if we didnt already know.
Where did she go?

Hate it tells people the time you read their message so they know how long you haven't replied :rolleyes:

It's not the first chat program to do this of course but it's the first one in the smartphone-use-internet-everywhere era. Back in the day you could at least say (pretend) you hadn't turned the computer on for a day or two :rolleyes:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hate it tells people the time you read their message so they know how long you haven't replied :rolleyes:

It's not the first chat program to do this of course but it's the first one in the smartphone-use-internet-everywhere era. Back in the day you could at least say (pretend) you hadn't turned the computer on for a day or two :rolleyes:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/facebook-chat-privacy/gfpgaanechfneiboempkfjghninbibjn

Can't speak for its effectiveness.

Pretty much just use FB to keep in touch with my grandparents. Created a joke 'Ardolf Hitkler' troll account way back in the day (as dumbass teenagers do) and ended up getting added to what seemed like some pretty full-on neo-nazi/white nationalist closed groups after taking the piss out of a bunch of racist public pages which was pretty amusing. Less amusing was that that fake Hitler account had more friends and ongoing conversations than my actual account ever will :(.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/facebook-chat-privacy/gfpgaanechfneiboempkfjghninbibjn

Can't speak for its effectiveness.

Pretty much just use FB to keep in touch with my grandparents. Created a joke 'Ardolf Hitkler' troll account way back in the day (as dumbass teenagers do) and ended up getting added to what seemed like some pretty full-on neo-nazi/white nationalist closed groups after taking the piss out of a bunch of racist public pages which was pretty amusing. Less amusing was that that fake Hitler account had more friends and ongoing conversations than my actual account ever will :(.
Yeah one of my mates made one for James May, the amount of friend requests and inboxes asking whether he was the real one.

Replied yes to them all.

Classic reactions to the frozen blueberries scandals on my newsfeed.

"The Chinese are taking away our foods and poisoning us. I will never buy made in China products again because I am Australian not Chinese. And I'm not celebrating Chinese NY and never will because I am Australian"

Some people are just too dense for rational thoughts.

The best ones are the 'Spare the Bali 9' brigade.

7 News did a post on what some bird in Washington's getting for a last meal before her execution, and it's all 'rot in hell', 'why should she get a last meal', 'she deserves to die'. It gets better, when people started calling out the hypocrisy, most of the responses were 'she killed someone, they only did drugs'.

Speakin of FB , mate just posted this from the emerg ward

1948255_604714639672220_6484662720038311745_n.jpg

o_O

The best ones are the 'Spare the Bali 9' brigade.

7 News did a post on what some bird in Washington's getting for a last meal before her execution, and it's all 'rot in hell', 'why should she get a last meal', 'she deserves to die'. It gets better, when people started calling out the hypocrisy, most of the responses were 'she killed someone, they only did drugs'.

Execute them and be done with it already. It's only being dragged out for popularity sake. Everyone knows not to smuggle drugs into Indonesia of all places.

So my facebook friend has a dog. I have never seen the dog in person, but I know almost its entire life thanks to daily (if not more regular) updates including hastags like #furchildren #wolfpack. God help me when she has children

Hashtags make me honestly want to punch people in the face. Putting a stupid little "#" before a comment or word doesn't make it more interesting or poignant. It screams 'excuse me, could you please pay attention to me as I have something to say". It's like 13 year olds writing band names on their schoolbag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back