Society & Culture Facebook

Remove this Banner Ad

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
That is a real good shot mate.

Sunrise and sunset are the best times to take shots. Unfortunately in Sydney sunrise is best because the Eastern sun reflects of the sea and looks awesome across the beaches. I have done it a few times but getting up around 5am to go take photo's is a bitch.

During sunset you can get some brilliant shots in and around the CBD. Not so much on the beaches as the sun disappears without getting much radiant light.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Cruyff14 you seem limited by lens and lack of dof. My fav lens but cant do extreme macro is a fully manual f1.8. It was used for defects on a bottling line and the dof is unreal. macros really need to be in super close, assuming thats what you were after. A trick you can use is to shoot something deep To give a nice graduated dof.

Sunset shot is really nice. I love those colours. And the subtle motion blur.

Im not adding anymore to facebook. Just dont get any appreciation. My mum, girlfriend and another friend are the only ones to like.

Guy tells everyone how he cant wait to ride his bike: gets 50 likes.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Sunrise and sunset are the best times to take shots. Unfortunately in Sydney sunrise is best because the Eastern sun reflects of the sea and looks awesome across the beaches. I have done it a few times but getting up around 5am to go take photo's is a bitch.

During sunset you can get some brilliant shots in and around the CBD. Not so much on the beaches as the sun disappears without getting much radiant light.
Last night i spent 2 hours doing a 35 shot panorama hdr of my sunset shot, but it was s**t. So disappointed. Sometimes the simple high contrast sunsets work the best

Borry

Protected Species
Aug 15, 2004
You never never know if you never never go.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Sydney

Manly to Circular Quay ferry at sunset = magic.

Here's one I took during sunset in the White Desert in the Egyptian Sahara 4 years ago, close to one of my finest shots.
164160_484423533594_6136373_n.jpg

I do find social media a useful way to backup important photos on my travels. I'm always paranoid about a flash drive or memory card going corrupt, damaged or missing so I tend to upload photos taken during a day of overseas shenanigans just before I go to bed in the hostel/hotel at the earliest opportunity.

I have started to use sites like Flickr and Google photos for backup of photos not overseas and not as important in recent times as I have quite a few albums on Facebook.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal

Thanks, but to be honest I don't actually remember taking that one. There were some before where my friend and I pulled over on the motorway and we caught the sun going down behind some trees which I remember, but that one I have no recollection of.

Cruyff14 you seem limited by lens and lack of dof. My fav lens but cant do extreme macro is a fully manual f1.8. It was used for defects on a bottling line and the dof is unreal. macros really need to be in super close, assuming thats what you were after. A trick you can use is to shoot something deep To give a nice graduated dof.

Sunset shot is really nice. I love those colours. And the subtle motion blur.

Im not adding anymore to facebook. Just dont get any appreciation. My mum, girlfriend and another friend are the only ones to like.

Guy tells everyone how he cant wait to ride his bike: gets 50 likes.
I don't know what much of that means. I have two lenses 18-55mm and 75-200mm.

I have a Nikon album that I just add photos too, it seems get some likes.

Last edited:

Vapor

All Australian
Aug 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't know if this is the right thread to post in or not but we'll see. It's a stab in the dark but does anyone know this person - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=87912848? One of my good mates was just telling me how he was reading on Reddit about online identity theft and there's been a lot of dodgy stuff linked to this hacked profile. It seems to be Australia-based too, I suppose Facebook's security features aren't quite up to scratch?

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
Met a girl at uni yesterday that deleted facebook. Said she was never going back on it. Then she was whinging that she had no way of contacting other students. Its too handy to have it these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 13, 2007
Vancouver
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oilers
No classes for a couple of weeks and I think her phone was stuffed.

For networking it cant be beat plus its free.

I can see how it would be really handy for Uni actually. I was in Uni in late 90's/early 00's. I don't think it had taken off yet. People were still on My Space. Haha.

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
They weren't meant to be amazing. I was fiddling around and was happy with the end result.

It was all about the focus.
As I said, I think you nailed it on the third one. I'm only looking at it via BigFooty but it looks like you captured the fine detail the way such photos should.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back