Fad Diets and Quackery

Remove this Banner Ad

What you've done is substitute one scientist (a towering legend in science) for another (a guy who doesn't like sugar), based on same first name and homophonic last name.

There is no evidence to suggest he's homerphobic m8.

What you've done is substitute one scientist (a towering legend in science) for another (a guy who doesn't like sugar), based on same first name and homophonic last name.

I really can't tell if you did that on purpose or not, hence my post.

It gets tedious having to explain everything. Specially in "our" thread, created because you couldn't abide opposing views in "your" thread.
I shouldn't have posted it in the first place as I only realised after I sent it you don't follow current nutritional science or press and wouldn't know what I was referring to.

Time to move on.

On Ben Goldacre's site - badscience.net - you can uy a t-shirt with this on it.
sophisticated-visual-gag_design.png

Which says what you need to know about nutritionist qualifications.

Ben Goldacre is the best. His battling bad science TED talk is a must watch. But you get giddy watching him... just wish he didnt have the hundred cups of coffee before he started :)

Also in the article you posted he mentioned the "great Professor Richard Feynman" 100% spot on, he is brilliant, and their wouldn't be a more knowledgeable and influential authority on low carb nutrition anywhere in the world at the moment. Richard rocks.

There is no more knowledgeable low carb guru than a guy that has been dead for close to 30 years?

Everything you have been told about raw food (by raw food shysters and marketers) is probably wrong.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2016/02/22/whats-really-in-raw-food/#471486d05fc3
Raw foodies, though, seem to live in Opposite Land, where food science gets turned on its head. The website RawFoodLife.com claims that:

Science now proves that cooking not only destroys nutrition and enzymes but chemically changes foods from the substances needed for health into acid-forming toxins, free-radicals and poisons that destroy our health!​
Er, no. Science proves nothing of the sort (nor does that website provide any citations to scientific articles to back up its claim). As Christopher Wanjek explained ten years ago at LiveScience:

Plant enzymes, which raw dieters wish to preserve, are largely mashed up with other proteins and rendered useless by acids in the stomach. Not cooking them doesn’t save them from this fate. Anyway, the plant enzymes were for the plants … they are not needed for human digestion. Human digestive enzymes are used for human digestion.

Raw foodies also love raw milk, another dangerous trend, which has sickened thousands of people in the U.S. over the past decade. That topic deserves another column all to itself, but for now, suffice it to say that one of the greatest scientists of the 19th century, Louis Pasteur, discovered that heating milk briefly can kill a host of dangerous pathogens. Pasteurization, which is named for him, has been rightly credited with saving millions of lives. A few years ago, the Royal Society named pasteurized milk the second greatest invention in the history of food (after refrigeration).​

Pfft... bacon is clearly the second greatest invention in the history of food.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There has been a lot of friction in some threads over the last year or so with discussing certain health and nutrition trends.

People in those threads feel, quite wrongly, that they should not be questioned about their beliefs.

Wrong as that is, I think it would be better to have a thread like this where people can interact without interrupting the back-patting and woo-pushing in those fad diet threads.

It is not ideal, but the sensitivity of people over their chosen fad diet means we should give them a little space in those threads.
What's your fad diet?

One of the best things you can do to let you know if your "fad diet" is working, is to stand in front of a mirror naked.

Apart from that..

How is your skin, how are your eyes, how are your joints, do you get heart burn, etc, etc, etc????

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back