Family Day - Player Attitudes

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get me wrong, Cotch is exception with this stuff (like Richo used to be), but his degree of patience and gRace is the exception, not the norm
Yes it is not the norm nowadays because some parents seem too lazy to teach simple manners. Those who were disappointed with certain players snubbing them would have probably decided to not bother getting that membership now. If they were impressed with the players, then they might have.

The club should demand that all players go out of their way to be polite on this one day. Anyway we are going around in circles and I don't really enjoy bagging our teams players (except hammer) so I'm assuming it was a big misunderstanding. Go tiges

The thing I'm more disappointed about is that someone's reactions to the day, warranted or not, have basically taken away any talk of the day itself

Surely the day wasn't just standing in line for autographs and there were other positives? I'd like to hear them

The thing I'm more disappointed about is that someone's reactions to the day, warranted or not, have basically taken away any talk of the day itself

Surely the day wasn't just standing in line for autographs and there were other positives? I'd like to hear them
Yeah, we need some feel good s**t peeps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know we're not happy unless we're frothing over something.

Sorry to interlope,
FWIW these player/family days are a real thrill for the kids & generally most players are accomodating & comfortable interacting with kids. At our sessions there is always some players who are shy or just not used to dealing with kids or large groups. It's not for everyone. I've found these players are grouped with more gregarious players, with us Trengove, Ebert, Jonas & a few others to help the shy players feel more at ease. Wether this is accidental or by design, I don't know but it works.
I've always found Tiger supporters to be A1 when we've played you guys. Even during & after last years EF my boy commented how pleasant you all were. Unlike a lot of our own back in 07 GF.
In the end, the kids will remember seeing their favourite player on these days & will be too stunned to recognise subtle bad moods.
Enjoy your season!

Lots of good and valid points made in this thread.

I'm not sure where I sit on the whole issue - I understand players are 'employees' of the club so they 'should' know the PR stuff of being a player is just part and parcel of the job. On things like a family day, you'd have the reasonable expectation that the players would make 'a special effort' to try and portray a positive image when meeting fans and supporters. I'd also wager that if you compare 99% players on our list, they wouldn't be able to give as glowing an impression as Cotchin - so comparing the two will always make nearly anyone look like they aren't as strong in that part of the job.

That being said, players copping abuse from fans about how they should play is pretty disrespectful. These guys are professional athletes and even the more marginalised players on our list who often cop criticism are no slouches. They know their game better than any of us and would be trying to play the role the coaches give them.

For many fans - especially kids, I'd assume this is the 'closest' kind of fan interaction/involvement they have with the players. For those that pay for merchandise, memberships or donate, it's understandable that they feel 'obligated' to get something back from the players (to many, you'd think are viewed as 'heroes' or 'idols'). Fans are the lifeblood of a club, without fans, there is no club. Simple as that.

Going back to the players at the KGI tent specifically (I didn't go so can't comment on anything except what I've read from others so there is a lot of presuming here).
  • Dusty has always been an introverted character ever since he came to the club - and that's fine. As mentioned, not everyone is wired to be a 'people' person. That being said, Dusty may have been more friendly earlier in the day and the OP may have been unlucky to catch him and the boys after they were feeling a bit worn and tired. I think for most of us who eat and sleep footy, there's been a huge improvement in Dusty's temperament, maturity and general life skills over the journey. He knows he's still got a long way to go - don't hold your breath that he'll get to Cotch levels but he's (at least to me) seemingly getting better bit by bit.
  • Titch - I initially was a bit surprised - as I thought he might be one of the more extroverted types at the club (or at least not 'shy') - he's normally clowning around in the RFC vids (inside Tigerland or the one's where they visit player's homes) so doesn't suggest he's camera shy. Also sort of being the 'face' of the Dreamtime game (or our ambassador the past few seasons). Then I recalled reading he didn't initially tell the club or any of teammates of his indigenous background (so maybe he is a bit introverted?)
  • Drummond - first year kid, probably still a bit overawed and reserved. Give him a pass.
  • Knights - not surprised to hear he was quite friendly. Speaks well in videos and has been in the system for quite a few years now so would have it down pat - or at least be comfortable enough with it.
Overall, I wouldn't criticise the players too much here and give them a bit of leniency. No doubt it's a taxing part of the job for some but as long as they weren't blatantly rude (telling you to p*** off), that should be enough (though you do hope they make a good impression with the kids who are the next generation of fans). I liked the idea of pairing more extroverted players (the Rance, Riewoldt types) with the more shy ones - potentially the extroverted players can help bring the more reserved players out of their shells a bit if they are shy. In the instance of the KGI, (not sure on Knights) but I believe Dusty, Titch and most likely Drummond would all be involved in that program (hence it making sense to group them together on the day).

I reckon Dusty would have preferred to be the guy who held the ball above the inflatable player, where the kids have to run and jump over it.
I simpathise with the OP, but i understand the situation where the players just dont want to be there.
Maybe the club could have done a bit more to address the dynamics of the KGI group, ie: their own music (censored) in the background, someone there to mentor the group, or sonething else (i'm not sure what exactly)
As for Dusty being more approachable at the Pakenham training, well he probably just felt in his element.

Signing so many autographs, I'm sure the players get a little robotic. All the same, I think this is a big over-reaction. The players didn't actually SAY anything inappropriate. At its worst interpretation it was an act of omission. When you're seeing one person after another, as soon as you deal with one person your attention goes to the next person. When your daughter said "thank you" that may have signalled to them the end of the 'engagement'. After all, is it really rude to not say " no worries" or "you're welcome" to every person after they have said "thanks", and say it 1000 times in that time period? It could then end up like the sort of conversations you have at the supermarket check-out where you get an insincere and rehearsed patter. It may be desirable in your eyes, and probably mine as well if it was a single engagement, but I'd hardly describe it as rude that they didn't say it to your daughter given the context here. Much more important is how they treated her prior to that. Anyway, I'd also cut them some slack because it is hard to concentrate all the time when there is an endless line of people. I know for a fact, as I heard it several times at a footy clinic last year, the players are actually told by club staff to keep things brief in order to quicken up the queue, otherwise people get really frustrated waiting for so long. Therefore, they can't really win.

As for contacting the club about it, couldn't you save that for when you have a major grievance? This one seems a long way short of that. I think you need to put yourself in their shoes, both the club, and the players.

9LsJb4J6.jpg

A lot of simplistic views in here.
Whether you like it or not, a lot of people no matter how much training they receive just freeze when they are meeting complete strangers no matter how many times they do it. It's just the reality and people shouldn't be judged as a result. Everybody is different.

I've been to Cotchins Cubs & Brandos Buddies clinics. At the start of these clinics the players are all smiling and happy to interact with the kids as they rotate through stations. Yet towards the end of the day after having had 100's of screaming kids swarm them for autographs and photos you can see the attitude change in their body language and it becomes can this s**t end already I've had enough. I don't blame them a bit and I don't expect them to be 'on' every time they are in the public eye.

I was at the family day out in Knox a few years ago when Richo Johnson Newman Deledio & Cotchin were in the photo booth where you got your photo taken with them. My son who is autistic was excited as Richo was his hero and he was going to get a chance to finally meet him. After waiting in line for 90 minutes he finally got in for his photo and they barely even acknowledged him. Now my boy hardly even batted an eyelid as he sat there waiting for the photo as he was among the players he watched every week. After the photo he went to give them a high five and again no acknowledgement was given.

Afterwards when Richo was walking through crowd my son asked him why he didn't say hello and why he didn't give him a high five. Richos response was that he hadn't heard him because of the amount of noise and thought he was waving bye instead of giving a high five. To make it up to him he signed his jumper and posed for a quick photo and then walked off despite others also wanting a photo. Now those other people would have had every right to be annoyed but none were because it was the great Richo.

This is just an example of how the players interaction with fans can be different depending on when you catch them. Now I have never felt the need to rip into the players for failing to interact the way I expected them to because I understand that the players are human not robots and like us their emotions can change as they go through their day.

However for those intent on ripping into the players, how about one day you guys spend 2-3 hours in a marquee having adults and kids demanding autographs and photos where you have to keep plastering a smile on you face and you have to keep acknowledging everyone. I'm willing to bet that most of you wouldn't make it more than an hour without wanting out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back