Family Day - Player Attitudes

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok I went to family day today with my wife and daughter. We kind of arrived late, 11.30 and could only make it to two Marquees for autographs. I want to talk about them, I just would just like to contrast the two. The first was the Jeep Marquee with Trent Cotchin, Brandon Ellis and Sam Lloyd. Firstly Cotchin, what a gentleman, what a star, the club picked the right guy as captain. Polite, friendly and engaged, My wife called him an absolute sweetheart and he was so nice to our daughter. The same could be said about Ellis and Lloyd, they were sensational, they said the right things, they had the right attitude. My wife left grinning from ear to ear after getting their autographs.

Then the KGI Marquee. The contrast was unbelievable. This marquee had Dustin Martin, Shane Edwards, Natham Drummond and Chris Knights. Chris Knights was the only one that responded to her thank you after he had signed with a 'no problem'. Not the Gettysburg address mind you but at least something. The other three guys nothing. Dustin Martin seemed to utterly and completely hate what he was doing (frankly I think he would have preferred being at the dentist than being there). I watched him for a long time as we lined up and you could see how excited especially kids were to meet him. However he clearly believed that just signing cards or whatever etc with a totally disinterested and pained expression, not saying anything to anyone, not really even wanting to make eye contact, not even saying a 'your welcome' or a thank you was all that he had to do. Unfortunately the others at that marquee seemed to follow his lead, although again at least Chris Knights gave a 'no problem'.

Now I know players are all different and I don't know which of the two marquees represented the norm, perhaps we got the best and the worst, I don't know. But seriously, I know it can be tough, especially if you are an introverted type, but really some should try harder than that. The fans are pests sometimes, but they pay their salaries and save them having to go out and get real jobs. This is presumably Martin's fifth family day, if he was a rookie I would cut him more slack, but he is a professional footballer and trying to at least pretend to be nice to people like my wife and daughter is part of his job (at the very very least a thank you or a you're welcome will not kill you). As for the other guys at that marquee, I don't know what their excuses were. It's something that the club should talk to all the players about before each family day, assuming they don't already.

Anyhow family day for all that was great. The club and it's organisers should be proud. And we do have a magnificent individual in Trent Cotchin as our captain. The negatives weren't nearly enough to ruin it, but they were still there and worth at least a semi-partial qualified rant.
Everyone has bad days, ever yelled at your kids when they didn't deserve it? ever been short with a shop attendant? told someone to piss off after having a bad day? I'm sure most of us have here at one time or another and i frankly get sick and tired of people putting our guys up on high like they have to be perfect 100% of the time and a role model or example for everyone's kids on how to conduct themselves at all times. They are here to win footy games and that's it imo. Ive been ignored by our guys on many occasions and it doesn't make me think less of them in any way, I mean good god low and behold they are having a s**t day, lets all make character judgements about them based on 30 seconds of contact. I don't want to be the mean guy here but life is full of moments that don't meet expectations, buy a helmet cup cake.

Everyone has bad days, ever yelled at your kids when they didn't deserve it? ever been short with a shop attendant? told someone to piss off after having a bad day? I'm sure most of us have here at one time or another and i frankly get sick and tired of people putting our guys up on high like they have to be perfect 100% of the time and a role model or example for everyone's kids on how to conduct themselves at all times. They are here to win footy games and that's it imo. Ive been ignored by our guys on many occasions and it doesn't make me think less of them in any way, I mean good god low and behold they are having a s**t day, lets all make character judgements about them based on 30 seconds of contact. I don't want to be the mean guy here but life is full of moments that don't meet expectations, buy a helmet cup cake.
Are you telling me, in all seriousness, that there are cup cakes shaped like a helmet?

Dusty doesn't smile at the 10,000th person that he signs an autograph for and it causes this much of a stir? Please.
apparently lol, doesn't matter what number you were in line. thought he was awesome with us no complaints.

Met Richo at a bar in St kilda and I was in awe, I just looked "up" at him and said your Richo I love the tigers man I love you half drunk lol, he said yeah, and simply asked me how I'm doing and then walked away, I'm sure he thought I was a bit of a twit. Love the great man!

Met Rioli and Waite in another club they were cool shook my hand, loved meeting Rioli both real nice.
You still sound drunk:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gene Simmons told me to get faqd once. :drunk:

I got the same from Alan Border.

And then my best...VIC was playing NSW in the shield and I was outside the Faulkner and ran into Steve Waugh (very early in his career). How do you reckon he coped with "Waugh, Waugh, what is he good for...absolutely nuthin".
So I've no right to bag players for anything. But Dusty could've been a bit better for the kiddies.

I got the same from Alan Border.

And then my best...VIC was playing NSW in the shield and I was outside the Faulkner and ran into Steve Waugh (very early in his career). How do you reckon he coped with "Waugh, Waugh, what is he good for...absolutely nuthin".
So I've no right to bag players for anything. But Dusty could've been a bit better for the kiddies.
What happened with Border?

What happened with Border?

Just asked for an autograph. Was in the Hilton after a day nighter. McDermott was there in his leather pants, Boonie doing some solid work at the bar etc Chicks everywhere. And we'd been on the gas all game.
I asked him for an autograph, he said yes and then we both looked at each other. Like was I supposed to supply the paper and pen?
Very funny looking back, but Captain Grumpy was probably entitled to be a bit nasty.

That's not entirely a relevant example , in fact not at all relevant. The players aren't employed to be customer service operators, they are sportsmen with freakish talents that put them in an elite category . That doesn't mean they will be elite in their social interactions. It would be nice if they were all pleasant , peaches and cream , milk and honey. But for some occasions like yesterday would have been pretty hard work. It really shouldn't b a problem
I see it as a completely relevant example. I will agree that, yes players are employed as athletes but they are also employed as ambassadors for the clubs brand. They are the ones that have to promote the club and sell it to the younger generations.

I can't count the stories I have heard about Sheedy talking to kids in the street who were wearing essendon clothing. Another example was my Dad's friend was walking with his son to the St Kilda Moorabbin training centre to get some supporter wear with his son. On their way back to their car a BMW passes by. My father's friend doesn't think anything of it until the car comes back in reverse. The windows come down to reveal Ross Lyon and Nick Riewoldt. They have a 5 minute chat to the kid, boost his spirits and have a quick photo before saying they have to leave. These are the kind of actions that grow a supporter base and keep it.

Now I am not saying that any player that is introverted or feels uncomfortable needs goes to these kinds of lengths but they do need to face up to the fact that they are nothing more than entertainers for the masses. Nothing more and nothing less. Because of this they have an obligation to smile, grin and put on a show.

Ok had a few days to chill out, still I would like to restate a couple of points

1. It was late in the day but that was also the case for the guys at the Jeep marqueee who were so fantastic

2. It wasn't just Dustin Martin, with the exception of of Knights, none of them said anything, none of them acknowledged the thank yous, there was almost zero eye contact etc. Again sorry it was just plain rude.

3. It wasn't just my wife and daughter, whilst I stood there along with my sister-in-law and watched from a close distance, we saw exactly the same behaviour being shown to other people, adults and kids. And may I add for the record my sister-in-law had also met them earlier when we were waiting in the Jeep Marquee line and reported pretty much the same things

Anyhow I did raise this with the club as one of the respondents to this thread suggested, I both called and sent an email. Later in the day I got a call back from Amanda Brearley Event Manager and she was sensational. We discussed my families experiences and she apologized (she didn't need to as I was never after that and I don't blame the club, but she did it anyhow). Now I am not going to talk specifics about what was said about individual players, but she did tell me that the club of course takes all the concerns of the members seriously. That they do set minimum standards, they do talk to the players as to what those standards are and that what we experienced and saw was not acceptable. That basically if we don't accept children behaving that way then we shouldn't accept it from adults. Again at the very very least acknowledging thank you's and looking people in the eyes isn't asking too much. We also discussed the fact that in any group of individuals that large (the Richmond Player list) there are always going to be a broad cross-section of personalities and that part of the solution is to ensure that the introverted types are spread evenly through the marquees and don't end up dominating any one in particular. That in effect they should be paired with the extroverts who can hopefully both encourage and set good examples.

It was a great conversation and all I can say is I was very very impressed. I hope everyone appreciates what a wonderful club we have and some of the great individuals that work for it. It doesn't surprise me that membership is booming the way it is compared to our rivals, when a club takes your concerns as seriously as they did today, it's hard not to be loyal and passionate. Go Tigers!

Ok I went to family day today with my wife and daughter. We kind of arrived late, 11.30 and could only make it to two Marquees for autographs. I want to talk about them, I just would just like to contrast the two. The first was the Jeep Marquee with Trent Cotchin, Brandon Ellis and Sam Lloyd. Firstly Cotchin, what a gentleman, what a star, the club picked the right guy as captain. Polite, friendly and engaged, My wife called him an absolute sweetheart and he was so nice to our daughter. The same could be said about Ellis and Lloyd, they were sensational, they said the right things, they had the right attitude. My wife left grinning from ear to ear after getting their autographs.

Then the KGI Marquee. The contrast was unbelievable. This marquee had Dustin Martin, Shane Edwards, Natham Drummond and Chris Knights. Chris Knights was the only one that responded to her thank you after he had signed with a 'no problem'. Not the Gettysburg address mind you but at least something. The other three guys nothing. Dustin Martin seemed to utterly and completely hate what he was doing (frankly I think he would have preferred being at the dentist than being there). I watched him for a long time as we lined up and you could see how excited especially kids were to meet him. However he clearly believed that just signing cards or whatever etc with a totally disinterested and pained expression, not saying anything to anyone, not really even wanting to make eye contact, not even saying a 'your welcome' or a thank you was all that he had to do. Unfortunately the others at that marquee seemed to follow his lead, although again at least Chris Knights gave a 'no problem'.

Now I know players are all different and I don't know which of the two marquees represented the norm, perhaps we got the best and the worst, I don't know. But seriously, I know it can be tough, especially if you are an introverted type, but really some should try harder than that. The fans are pests sometimes, but they pay their salaries and save them having to go out and get real jobs. This is presumably Martin's fifth family day, if he was a rookie I would cut him more slack, but he is a professional footballer and trying to at least pretend to be nice to people like my wife and daughter is part of his job (at the very very least a thank you or a you're welcome will not kill you). As for the other guys at that marquee, I don't know what their excuses were. It's something that the club should talk to all the players about before each family day, assuming they don't already.

Anyhow family day for all that was great. The club and it's organisers should be proud. And we do have a magnificent individual in Trent Cotchin as our captain. The negatives weren't nearly enough to ruin it, but they were still there and worth at least a semi-partial qualified rant.
Haven't gone through the whole thread and don't plan on going through it.

Some feedback here for RFC_Official that can go back to the club / players.

When you see behind the scenes the amount of merch these guys sign unbelievable.

Oh and :hearts: Cotch and Brando :)

Ok had a few days to chill out, still I would like to restate a couple of points

1. It was late in the day but that was also the case for the guys at the Jeep marqueee who were so fantastic

2. It wasn't just Dustin Martin, with the exception of of Knights, none of them said anything, none of them acknowledged the thank yous, there was almost zero eye contact etc. Again sorry it was just plain rude.

3. It wasn't just my wife and daughter, whilst I stood there along with my sister-in-law and watched from a close distance, we saw exactly the same behaviour being shown to other people, adults and kids. And may I add for the record my sister-in-law had also met them earlier when we were waiting in the Jeep Marquee line and reported pretty much the same things

Anyhow I did raise this with the club as one of the respondents to this thread suggested, I both called and sent an email. Later in the day I got a call back from Amanda Brearley Event Manager and she was sensational. We discussed my families experiences and she apologized (she didn't need to as I was never after that and I don't blame the club, but she did it anyhow). Now I am not going to talk specifics about what was said about individual players, but she did tell me that the club of course takes all the concerns of the members seriously. That they do set minimum standards, they do talk to the players as to what those standards are and that what we experienced and saw was not acceptable. That basically if we don't accept children behaving that way then we shouldn't accept it from adults. Again at the very very least acknowledging thank you's and looking people in the eyes isn't asking too much. We also discussed the fact that in any group of individuals that large (the Richmond Player list) there are always going to be a broad cross-section of personalities and that part of the solution is to ensure that the introverted types are spread evenly through the marquees and don't end up dominating any one in particular. That in effect they should be paired with the extroverts who can hopefully both encourage and set good examples.

It was a great conversation and all I can say is I was very very impressed. I hope everyone appreciates what a wonderful club we have and some of the great individuals that work for it. It doesn't surprise me that membership is booming the way it is compared to our rivals, when a club takes your concerns as seriously as they did today, it's hard not to be loyal and passionate. Go Tigers!

I know Amanda personally & she is an absolute jet. Oh and smokin' hot!

I've seen things like this at various kids and family days and usually always from the same players without naming them.
No point
Fact is though just because they play for our beloved tigers doesn't mean they are all clever,all comfortable talking to strangers or aren't just s**t blokes.
Take a guy like Dustin for example who clearly is not a great speaker or very comfortable doing this type of thing, I bet the club even shudders for these types of events.
Reckon they'd much rather he just play footy and be the face of the club on posters.
Like mentioned Cotchin is a star at these things,as is Chris Knights,Ivan,Steve Morris,Newy,Jake King was.
They are naturals and actually seem to enjoy it and it would be awesome if the club could just pick and choose who turn out at these functions but unfortunately can't.
So blokes like Dustin I'm afraid are just going to have to get better at it.

Last edited:
I've seen things like this at various kids and family days and usually always from the same players without naming them.
No point
Fact is though just because they play for our beloved tigers doesn't mean they are all clever,all comfortable talking to strangers or aren't just s**t blokes.
Take a guy like Dustin for example who clearly is not a great speaker or very comfortable doing this type of thing, I bet the club even shudders for these types of events.
Reckon they'd much rather he just play footy and be the face of the club on posters.
Like mentioned Cotchin is a star at these things,as is Chris Knights,Ivan,Steve Morris,Newy,Jake King was.
They are naturals and actuly seem to enjoy it and it would be awesome if the club could just pick and choose who turn out at these functions but unfortunately can't.
So blokes like Dustin I'm afraid are just going to have to get better at it.
Agreed but it dosent take much effort to smile and say thanks. The club needs to be on top of that though.

Hell through customer service I see over 300 people a day with many who I cant stand but I greet them with a smile, say hello, thankyou and see you later.

I mean its no real big deal but every little thing makes a difference.

They are hugely in demand too.
I would hate it.
I never understand people who see say Deledio for example, just down the shops.
And they give it the old "Brett...Brett... How's it going... Brett"
He has no ******* idea who the person is, but they reckon because he plays footy and is on TV they know him?
Unless it's a family type day,clinic or the person in under 18 then I reckon the player has every right to just say "**** off".
Don't know about others but I routinely make a habit of completely pretending I have no idea who they are if I meet a footballer or actor etc.
I just reckon it must be nice for them. I know that's what I would like if in their shoes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back