Fantasy Books

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I might make a dedicated thread just for the fantasy genre.

Anybody got recommendation? Besides the most popular high fantasy and the most epicest book ever ASOIAF.

Just read the Gentleman's Bastard series by Scott Lynch - fantastic! Best way to describe it is Ocean11 meets Godfather. It's brilliant.

I like the one where the boy is orphaned and he grows up to be an awesome practitioner of magic and has epic adventures

j/k

I do quite like Feist, Hobb, Eddings (and didn't love Jordan) but there are a lot of similarities.... Hobb's first person narrative is engrossing

If you want to try some "Swords & Sorcery" I would (in addition to the Conan" stories of Robert E Howard recommended by "RolandF1" above) suggest you might try the "Fafhrd and Gray Mouser" books by Fritz Leiber and the "Sword & Sorceress" series edited by Marion Zimmer Bradley.. Not "Sword & Sorcery" (more urban fantasy) but Simon R Greens "Nightside" series of novels might be worth a look as well.

Reading the first book of the Tawny Man trilogy by Robin Hobb after reading the Assasin trilogy and then the Liveship Traders trilogy. Read them all before but seem to be going back to read some of my favorites these days. Going to read this trilogy and then the four rain wild chronicle books which I haven't read. Also read somewhere shes starting a new fitz and the fool trilogy with the first book due in august. Can't wait.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Wars of light and shadow by Janny Wurts, about 9 or 10 books there so far.

Raymond e feist books. Well tje first 10 or so then he lost me

Mistborn by brandon Sanderson. He's doing the stormlight archive of which the 2nd book is due out next month. He is definitely my favorite fantasy writer to come on the scene in the last decade.

Just started reading Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson which is the first book of the Malazan series. The series overall is supposed to be brilliant but it's an enjoyable but tough read so far.

Just started reading Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson which is the first book of the Malazan series. The series overall is supposed to be brilliant but it's an enjoyable but tough read so far.

It is. Having said that, if you don't like book 2 it's probably not worth persevering with.

Other stuff I'd recommend:

Patricia McKillip - The Riddle Master trilogy
R Scott Bakker - The Darkness That Comes Before and sequels
Guy Gavriel Kay - Any of his early ones. The Fionavar Tapestry is a great trilogy but The Lions of Al-Rassan is probably his best. Either that or Tigana.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the first one was the most difficult to read. I felt they got better as they went on.
Really enjoyed Master of Whitestorm and also another standalone To Ride Hells Chasm.
Tried to start the Cycle of Fire books a couple of times and struggled but once I got passed the opening couple of chapter's really enjoyed that as well.
The empire trilogy she did with Raymond E Feist is one of my favorites ever.

It is. Having said that, if you don't like book 2 it's probably not worth persevering with.

Guy Gavriel Kay - Any of his early ones. The Fionavar Tapestry is a great trilogy but The Lions of Al-Rassan is probably his best. Either that or Tigana.
Under Heaven or Lions of Al-Rassan are Kays best books.

Bakker is tough for some people to read not many likeable characters.

Best Urban fantasy series is Jim Butchers Dresden File.

Some of the best supporting characters, best detective noir writing and some of the funniest dialogue ever.
Absolutely 100% agree with this! Am re-reading them now. Noted the Abercrombie post earlier as well - brutally realized scenes!
Have you tried F Paul Wilson's "Repairman Jack" series - set in New York or Ben Aaronovitch's "Peter Grant" series - set in London, both have that supernatural theme.

Wars of light and shadow by Janny Wurts, about 9 or 10 books there so far.

Raymond e feist books. Well tje first 10 or so then he lost me

Mistborn by brandon Sanderson. He's doing the stormlight archive of which the 2nd book is due out next month. He is definitely my favorite fantasy writer to come on the scene in the last decade.

Haha! Loved the early Feist's. The Way Of Kings by Sanderson was a great read, second book hopefully I'll have by the weekend.

The Fionavar Tapestry is one of the few series where I actually shed some tears, beautifully written. Tigana is a good Kay book.

Try JV Jones "Sword Of Shadows" series - waiting for book 5.

I've always looked at Guy Gavriel Kay's books when I've been at the library but never picked one up to read. What style of writer is he and who would you compare him to?

I've always looked at Guy Gavriel Kay's books when I've been at the library but never picked one up to read. What style of writer is he and who would you compare him to?

Find it hard to compare styles - The Fionavar Tapestry weaves modern characters transplanted into a strange world & incorporates Arthurian legend into a compelling, often sad often heroic, tale. Highly recommended.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back