Fantasy Books

Remove this Banner Ad

Sanderson's Stormlight Archives is excellent (particularly the first).
Guy Gavriel Kay is also top notch.
Ian Irvine is by far the best fantasy author I've read.
Just read the first three books of "The Demon Cycle" by Peter V Brett, surprisingly good I thought.
This makes about 8/9 incomplete series I have on the go!

Just finished the first 3 books in The Gentlemen Bastard series. Next one is due later this year. Really enjoyed them and can't wait for the next. A lot of funny dialogue and a very interesting story. Get on it.

I am absolutely loving the series.
Can't wait for the next one.

The tension between Sabetha and Lockie! The saddest part was when Jean had to do the unthinkable in Book 2. Pretty upsetting.

Just read the first three books of "The Demon Cycle" by Peter V Brett, surprisingly good I thought.
This makes about 8/9 incomplete series I have on the go!

Haven't read Peter Brett yet.
I'm pushing through Sanderson's Mistborn series after finishing Williams' The War of the Flowers.
I'm also trying to get through the Night Angel and Graceling series (simply to round out my fantasy reading with some lighter books) but I'm finding them amazingly juvenile and uninteresting.
I have to admit to not buying into the Rothfuss craze. Everyone describes his Kingkiller Chronicles as a better, grown up version of Harry Potter. I find his books neither (and I'm not a big fan of Harry Potter). The Wise Man's Fears was particularly disappointing. It seemed like there were very limited steps taken (if at all) to the central plot.

Wars of light and shadow by Janny Wurts, about 9 or 10 books there so far.

Raymond e feist books. Well tje first 10 or so then he lost me

Mistborn by brandon Sanderson. He's doing the stormlight archive of which the 2nd book is due out next month. He is definitely my favorite fantasy writer to come on the scene in the last decade.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Very much like Wurts & Feist (wife n hubby in fact) but so disappointed by what Sanderson did with the Wheel of Time ending I wouldn't even bother reading his.. *shrugs*

Apart from the above, favs are Jordan, Eddings, Hobbs, Martin and others I've found readable are
Marion Zimmer Bradley (The Mists of Avalon), Terry Brooks, Jim Butcher, Sara Douglass (early), Jennifer Fallon, Lynn Flewelling, David Gemmell, Terry Goodkind, Katharine Kerr, Stephen R. Lawhead, Tad Williams.

Always looking for new authors so thanks to Teriyakicat 4 the link!

It was Tolkein who got me interested in fantasy & has been a benchmark ever since.. :)

Last edited:
Loved the Empire Trilogy they did together, probably read 3 or 4 times over the years. Feist and Wurts that is. Still havent been able to bring myself to read the last 3 Feist books. Loved most of what he's done but some of the stuff towards the end seemed like he wasnt trying anymore, don't want to be disappointed. Anyone read the last 3? A Kingdom Besieged, A Crown Imperiled and Magicians End. Let me know what you thought.

Loved the Empire Trilogy they did together, probably read 3 or 4 times over the years. Feist and Wurts that is. Still havent been able to bring myself to read the last 3 Feist books. Loved most of what he's done but some of the stuff towards the end seemed like he wasnt trying anymore, don't want to be disappointed. Anyone read the last 3? A Kingdom Besieged, A Crown Imperiled and Magicians End. Let me know what you thought.
The trilogy is ok, it's yet another variation on the Kingdom attacked by outside aliens, but as long as you don't expect anything from it, then it's ok. Magician's End is the best of the bunch. Not so much for the main story, but the last part. The title gives away how it finishes, but I enjoyed it being wrapped up.

I agree with you - there were 10 or so very average pulp books

but the end was nice to finish off… lots of old friends

Anyone else read Anthony Ryan?
Yup.

Bloodsong. Or something like that. Read his first book whilst it was still an ebook before he got picked up by a publisher.
Just got on to post about him, Blood Song is fantastic and I'm really enjoying the Tower Lord. Highly recommended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we're talking books that came out recently, The Crimson Campaign(2nd book of the Powder Mage trilogy by Brian McLellan) is pretty awesome. Would be the best book I've read this year if not for Words of Radiance.
I don't know if the author wrote it in hope of turning it into a tv show featuring Edward James Olmos, but it has to happen.
bsg3049.jpg

I am reading the second book Tower Lord now.
Did you like it?
I wasn't a massive fan to be honest. It got a bit too far away from what the 1st book did well.
Definitely worth a read just for Magician's End. The series did go off the rails a bit for a while there, but it really is a fitting finale.

Finished the Fools Asassin. For me probably the best book I've read this year. Big statement I know. The first 400 pages there wasn't much action but I was captivated. Even though it seems very little is happening, there is quite alot going on in there lives and all of it a necessary part of the story. The last 150 it goes to another level. The only disappointing thing is I have to wait 11 months for the next one, or so Google told me. If you love the farseer and tawny man books you'll love this.

Also just finished Fool's Assassin the other day and overall it is a great read, I haven't read the Rain Wilds Chronicles yet but we've another Fitz & the Fool story and if you've enjoyed them this far they're just so easy to get back into. A few other random thoughts but MAJOR BOOK SPOILIERS, if you haven't read the book yet and plan on doing so, don't click on the tab, seriously it's just way more fun if you don't.

Like I said I really enjoyed Fool's Assassin overall and it's great to be reading another Fitz and the Fool story. I'm not sure how I feel about Molly's Death though, I always felt that the way Burrich died was just too convenient, to get him out of the way and tbh I feel a little the same about Molly. It's nothing major and I still really like the early section of the book in fact the only minor negative for me was Fitz overlooking and forgetting some of the earlier events like the first messenger when he's just too experienced for that, it's minor but it's one of the few times where I thought there could have been better reasons given.

Other than that the characters, old and new are fantastic and I love how the Fool and Nighteyes are reintroduced.

Two quick points on the series as a whole. Fitz has always been beaten down and down and down again before getting just that little bit of what he wanted but I kind of hope Hobb does something a little different this time (with Fitz and Bee) and I'm not sure what that is, I'm sure I'll enjoy the story no matter what happens but I'm also hoping to be just a little surprised in how it develops. And lastly on the Fool's gender, I always thought she got it just about perfect in how she gave the readers everything they needed to know whilst still leaving enough unsaid that there was always plenty of debate about who exactly the Fool was. It'll be interesting to see how it's handled by Hobb (and then the readers) if she goes down the route of spelling everything out.

Anyway that's just my little ramble, great book and like Crapulous said a year seems a long time to wait to see what happens next

I'm really looking forward to the next book, mostly to see Fitz's demeanor and how he handles the situation. Has never faced anything like this. It's funny because I think of scenarios for the next book but I bet I'm way off.

I'm also reading now The Dagger and Coin Series by Daniel Abraham. Enjoying it , wouldn't put it as an A grade series but would be a B to B+. Looking at reading Abrahams previous series The Long Price Quartet and was wondering if anyone had read it and what they thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back