Fantasy Books

Remove this Banner Ad

... others I've found readable are ... David Gemmell ...
I was wondering if anyone would bring up Gemmell. Been a favourite of mine since I started reading him in high school (so we're talking 25+ years ago). Always thought the Jon Shannow stories would make for a good movie or TV series. Much like King with the Dark Tower series, I suspect DG was seeing Clint Eastwood in his mind's eye when writing about Shannow.

Been reading Ben Aaronovitch Rivers of London series.

Recommended highly. It's such an easy book to read and features the urbanscape of London.

The novel centres around the adventures of Peter Grant, a young officer in the Metropolitan Police; who, following an unexpected encounter with a ghost, is recruited into the small branch of the Met that deals with magic and the supernatural

It's a pretty funny quick read. Recommended - probably worth borrowing it from the library.

Are you serious, after waiting so many years for Dance I'll just content myself with waiting for the next season of GoT (tweaks n all).. rereading Janny Wurts @ the mo but always open to new authors :)
It is only partly written by GRRM. It was also written by the two people who run the Westeros site.

Recommended highly. It's such an easy book to read and features the urbanscape of London.

The novel centres around the adventures of Peter Grant, a young officer in the Metropolitan Police; who, following an unexpected encounter with a ghost, is recruited into the small branch of the Met that deals with magic and the supernatural

It's a pretty funny quick read. Recommended - probably worth borrowing it from the library.

Seconded. Just finished reading it this week and I'm moving onto the sequel.

Seconded. Just finished reading it this week and I'm moving onto the sequel.
Thirded, have read all four and enjoyed them. Big tick.

Have you read any Forgotten Realms books, Equus?
Or Margaret Weis- Tracy Hickman Dragonlance trilogies?

Sorry if I'm doubling up on what you've mentioned in previous posts. Too many pages to go back through and re-read.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you read any Forgotten Realms books, Equus?
Or Margaret Weis- Tracy Hickman Dragonlance trilogies?

Sorry if I'm doubling up on what you've mentioned in previous posts. Too many pages to go back through and re-read.

I haven't. That's sort of more traditional fantasy stuff right? If anything I played Icewind Dale on the PC...

This Is Anfield - I enjoyed The First Law.

I haven't. That's sort of more traditional fantasy stuff right? If anything I played Icewind Dale on the PC...

I've lost count of the different sub-genres of books :( Guess both would probably be traditional fantasy, yeah. Forgotten Realms is all different authors with some producing trilogies, others just stand-alone novels.

His other books - Red Country, Heroes and Best Served Cold are all set in the same world and are stand alone books, great reads.

I picked up Foxglove Summer by Aaronovitch today.
Didn't know it was out, a new book to read!:)
Went to the library the other day and picked up "The Emperor's Blades" by Brian Staveley, read it in two days, enjoyable without being awesome and definitely left me wanting more.
I'll be up to triple figures in unfinished series before too long!:eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back