Fantasy Books

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't know it was out, a new book to read!:)
Went to the library the other day and picked up "The Emperor's Blades" by Brian Staveley, read it in two days, enjoyable without being awesome and definitely left me wanting more.
I'll be up to triple figures in unfinished series before too long!:eek:
I read it a few months ago, liked it(although it was nothing mind blowing). I think the second book comes out at the start of next year.

I read it a few months ago, liked it(although it was nothing mind blowing). I think the second book comes out at the start of next year.
It sure does- January. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/brian-staveley/

Haven't read the first one yet- almost bought it the last time I was at the bookshop but I need to control my buying impulses. I still have hundreds of unread books that I need to get through. :(

His other books - Red Country, Heroes and Best Served Cold are all set in the same world and are stand alone books, great reads.

Thought Heros was great and Best served Cold pretty good. Got Red Country but haven't read it yet. Heard his new one was more for a younger audience.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Tbh the only other genre I ever read is historic fiction and I think I do it just to say I don't just read fantasy

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

So just found this thread, where has this been all my life.

Some of the books I have read in the past 2-3 year which are amazing (My order of preference sort of):

Brandon Sanderson - The Stormlight Archive - Best fantasy series I have read in the last 2 years. Don't know anyone who hates these books
Peter V Brett - Demon Cycle Series - Just f***ing read it. Amazing.
Anthony Ryan - Ravens Shadow - As discussed above, is a great read, first one was way better then the 2nd but was still way better then average. The first book alone keeps the book this high on my list
Brent Weeks - Lightbringer Series - Think about 3-4 books in so far, amazing books imo, great magic (colour system) and keeps you hooked through and great twists (Night Angel series also worth a read by the same author)
Django Wexler - The Shadow Campaigns - Set in Continental Times (think The Patriot) and quite a breath of fresh air compared to the sword/bow books.
Brian McClellan - The Crimson Campaign -LOVE this series. This book like the above is based in Continental times and the magic system in this (Powder Mages etc.) Is quite refreshing change of pace as mentioned above.
S.G Night - Attrition - Not sure of the series name but was quite surprised by this book, smashed it fairly quickly and pretty sure not many people have read it. Wouldn't call this an adult fantasy very close to a young adult book.
Michael J Sullivan - The Riyria Revelations - I didn't mind these books, well worth a read, a lot of the old cliché heroes etc, but still worth a read if you don't have anything going.
James Islington - A shadow of what was lost - First of the series, look awhile to get going but still finished this book in quick fashion.
Douglas Hulick - A Tale of a Kin - This series not as good as the above books, but still worth a read as its great series based around Thief's and the underworld
Brian Staveley - The Emperors Blades - Worth the read for sure, think it will be a good series

I would be confident to recommend any of the above to fantasy book readers.

Now these are technically not fantasy but well, I LOVED them!

Pierce Brown - Red Rising Trilogy - BEST BOOKS I HAVE ENJOYED for a long time. Now they are very similar to the hunger games (first book at least), but a more brutal and manly version IMO. I don't usually read these types of books but well, I couldn't put it down! Same type of quick reading not seen since Harry Potter. If I could suggest any book to start, this would be it. This is technically Sci-fi Futuristic series,
I have recommended this book to all my friends (boys and girls) and have not heard one bad thing about them.
Brandon Sanderson - Reckoners - Same author as many a great series (as above), this is based in alternate modern reality, only started it when I couldn't find anything just due to the author, but LOVED it. If you want something a bit different and need a break from Fantasy, this is worth a go.

if you guys do read some of the above books please let me know what you think, just so I know im not a dodo!

Some of the books I have read in the past 2-3 year which are amazing (My order of preference sort of):

Brandon Sanderson - The Stormlight Archive - Best fantasy series I have read in the last 2 years. Don't know anyone who hates these books
Anthony Ryan - Ravens Shadow - As discussed above, is a great read, first one was way better then the 2nd but was still way better then average. The first book alone keeps the book this high on my list
Brent Weeks - Lightbringer Series - Think about 3-4 books in so far, amazing books imo, great magic (colour system) and keeps you hooked through and great twists (Night Angel series also worth a read by the same author)
Django Wexler - The Shadow Campaigns - Set in Continental Times (think The Patriot) and quite a breath of fresh air compared to the sword/bow books.
Brian McClellan - The Crimson Campaign -LOVE this series. This book like the above is based in Continental times and the magic system in this (Powder Mages etc.) Is quite refreshing change of pace as mentioned above.
S.G Night - Attrition - Not sure of the series name but was quite surprised by this book, smashed it fairly quickly and pretty sure not many people have read it. Wouldn't call this an adult fantasy very close to a young adult book.
Michael J Sullivan - The Riyria Revelations - I didn't mind these books, well worth a read, a lot of the old cliché heroes etc, but still worth a read if you don't have anything going.
James Islington - A shadow of what was lost - First of the series, look awhile to get going but still finished this book in quick fashion.
Douglas Hulick - A Tale of a Kin - This series not as good as the above books, but still worth a read as its great series based around Thief's and the underworld
Brian Staveley - The Emperors Blades - Worth the read for sure, think it will be a good series

Pierce Brown - Red Rising Trilogy - BEST BOOKS I HAVE ENJOYED for a long time. Now they are very similar to the hunger games (first book at least), but a more brutal and manly version IMO. I don't usually read these types of books but well, I couldn't put it down! Same type of quick reading not seen since Harry Potter. If I could suggest any book to start, this would be it. This is technically Sci-fi Futuristic series,
I have recommended this book to all my friends (boys and girls) and have not heard one bad thing about them.
Brandon Sanderson - Reckoners - Same author as many a great series (as above), this is based in alternate modern reality, only started it when I couldn't find anything just due to the author, but LOVED it. If you want something a bit different and need a break from Fantasy, this is worth a go.

if you guys do read some of the above books please let me know what you think, just so I know im not a dodo!

Good array of books there.
Great to see local Islington get a mention. TBH I much prefer A Shadow of What Was Lost to Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles which are criminally overrated.
Sanderson's Way of Kings and Words of Radiance might be off putting to some simply because of the physical size of them. One thing he has on many other fantasy greats is that he pumps them out at regular intervals without diminishing in quality.
I have the first two books in the Lightbringer Series but haven't read them yet on account of my frustration with the juvenility of his Night Angel's series. I will have to give them another go.

Good array of books there.
Great to see local Islington get a mention. TBH I much prefer A Shadow of What Was Lost to Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles which are criminally overrated.
Sanderson's Way of Kings and Words of Radiance might be off putting to some simply because of the physical size of them. One thing he has on many other fantasy greats is that he pumps them out at regular intervals without diminishing in quality.
I have the first two books in the Lightbringer Series but haven't read them yet on account of my frustration with the juvenility of his Night Angel's series. I will have to give them another go.

I agree with the Night Angel's series, was quite juvenile, but this series is on a whole new level, I still don't think he has the best writing talent, but they are hell fun to read. Would be interested in what you think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone has any books which I have missed from my list that you think I would like please let me know, have read about 3 crap books in a row now, and dying for a new book

Have you tried any of Guy Gavriel Kay's books?
If you really like prose then Mark Lawrence and Scott Lynch are your way to go.
Perhaps start with Republic of Thieves.
If you can read really long series and like military fantasy then you should check out Malazan Book of the Fallen which is a massive ten books long.
But you have to get through the first two books to really start enjoying the series.
My personal favourite is Ian Irvine's View from the Mirror/Well of Echoes series which encapsulate a perfect mesh of fantasy and sci-fi.

Have you tried any of Guy Gavriel Kay's books?
If you really like prose then Mark Lawrence and Scott Lynch are your way to go.
Perhaps start with Republic of Thieves.
If you can read really long series and like military fantasy then you should check out Malazan Book of the Fallen which is a massive ten books long.
But you have to get through the first two books to really start enjoying the series.
My personal favourite is Ian Irvine's View from the Mirror/Well of Echoes series which encapsulate a perfect mesh of fantasy and sci-fi.
I haven't read Guy Gavriel Kay's Books, haven't even seen them! Also haven't read Ian Irvine's either!

I have read Scott Lynch's books, which are amazing and forgot to add to my list.

I also have the Malazan Book of the fallen books (first 2), got about 200 pages in and still couldn't understand what was going on!
Should I persist?

I haven't read Guy Gavriel Kay's Books, haven't even seen them! Also haven't read Ian Irvine's either!

I have read Scott Lynch's books, which are amazing and forgot to add to my list.

I also have the Malazan Book of the fallen books (first 2), got about 200 pages in and still couldn't understand what was going on!
Should I persist?
Have you read through the many recommendations on this thread? You might find it helpful to read those of people who have enjoyed similar books to you.
Thanks for your in depth recommendations, too, btw- I find these most helpful and will be looking through this thread to find books if I ever I run short.

Some of my favourite authors would be David Eddings, Mercedes Lackey, Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, plus I love all the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms books. They might not appeal to you, though.

Have a look at this site: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk
You might find other books by authors that you've enjoyed.

Re the Guy Gavriel Kay books- I started with the Fionavar Tapestry, which I really enjoyed, and have also read most of his stand-alone later novels. If you use that link I posted above, you can click on the author and have a look at those books and see if you think they'd suit your tastes.

I've read almost all these books over the last couple of years- I like your style.

If anyone has any books which I have missed from my list that you think I would like please let me know, have read about 3 crap books in a row now, and dying for a new book

Would definitely second the recommendation for the Reckoners. I usually steer clear of YA but I made an exception because it's written by Sanderson. Just finished the first book and am about to start the second. The twist at the end was absolutely brutal and while I had an inkling about the general nature of the twist, I didn't specifically pick it and it absolutely caught me by surprise. It definitely has a fantasy element to it. IIRC, the sequel, Firefight was just released in the last week or so.

The Emperor's Blades is well worth a read, as are the Demon Cycles and the Crimson Campaign. Never really got into the Lightbringer series for some reason, but would recommend the first book of the Night Angel series by the same author (turns to s**t in book 2 but is really good in book 3)

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Red Rising trilogy, but for some reason have been postponing reading it. Might actually give it a go in the next week.

As for recommendations, one that immediately springs to mind is the Mistborn Trilogy by Sanderson. Not sure if you've read it or not, but it has a very interesting magic system and I personally think there are many similarities in the characters between the reckoners series and the mistborn trilogy. First book is called Mistborn: The Final Empire.

Another book released last year that I specifically remember enjoying is Traitor's Blade by Sebastien de Castell. First in a series, but one of the best books I read.

Only others that I can really think of currently are The Acts of Caine series by Matthew Stover & Raven's Shadow series by Anthony Ryan.

Hope that helps a little.

Would definitely second the recommendation for the Reckoners. I usually steer clear of YA but I made an exception because it's written by Sanderson. Just finished the first book and am about to start the second. The twist at the end was absolutely brutal and while I had an inkling about the general nature of the twist, I didn't specifically pick it and it absolutely caught me by surprise. It definitely has a fantasy element to it. IIRC, the sequel, Firefight was just released in the last week or so.

The Emperor's Blades is well worth a read, as are the Demon Cycles and the Crimson Campaign. Never really got into the Lightbringer series for some reason, but would recommend the first book of the Night Angel series by the same author (turns to s**t in book 2 but is really good in book 3)

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Red Rising trilogy, but for some reason have been postponing reading it. Might actually give it a go in the next week.

As for recommendations, one that immediately springs to mind is the Mistborn Trilogy by Sanderson. Not sure if you've read it or not, but it has a very interesting magic system and I personally think there are many similarities in the characters between the reckoners series and the mistborn trilogy. First book is called Mistborn: The Final Empire.

Another book released last year that I specifically remember enjoying is Traitor's Blade by Sebastien de Castell. First in a series, but one of the best books I read.

Only others that I can really think of currently are The Acts of Caine series by Matthew Stover & Raven's Shadow series by Anthony Ryan.

Hope that helps a little.
Great thanks for your help.

The Red Rising is amazing, you have no idea. Cant rate it enough. 5/5

You had a couple set in 17th or 18th century worlds. If you enjoy that I'd reccommend Monarchies of God by Paul Kearney. Awsome series.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back