Competitions Fantasy Elite Draft Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Fact is the 20th best mid is going to get you 100 a game anyway.
Any captain scoring 100 per week is fine.
Last year I had Goddard, Watson and Scott Selwood who rotated through depending on opponent.

The math behind this is terrible - sorry Dangersloane. ;-)

You pick at pick four and 16, you get a 115 ave mid and a 95 ave fwd.

You pick at 8 and 12, you get two 105 ave mids.

But once you have to choose a captain, it becomes a 230 ave mid for the first side and a 210 ave mid for the second. That's a 20 ave advantage across the season.

Captains work in salary cap comps because everyone ultimately is choosing from the same four or five captain-options that are scoring vastly above the others. That doesn't happen in draft leagues.

There will be five players who average 115+, maybe five who average 105+ and dozens who do from 95+ to 100.

Yes to captains:
- hdecure
- DangerSloane
- arusso707

No to captains
- Kristof

The math behind this is terrible - sorry Dangersloane. ;-)

You pick at pick four and 16, you get a 115 ave mid and a 95 ave fwd.

You pick at 8 and 12, you get two 105 ave mids.

But once you have to choose a captain, it becomes a 230 ave mid for the first side and a 210 ave mid for the second. That's a 20 ave advantage across the season.

Captains work in salary cap comps because everyone ultimately is choosing from the same four or five captain-options that are scoring vastly above the others. That doesn't happen in draft leagues.

There will be five players who average 115+, maybe five who average 105+ and dozens who do from 95+ to 100.

If you pick at 8 and 12 and you pick two mids then you're a dumb player, but hey thats up to you.

At 8 you would seize the advantage in the other positions, and dangerfield will get you a 10 point advantage on any forward, plus goddard et al will get you a 5-7 point advantage on the lower defenders.

If you draft smart, it wont matter that much.
Also you're talking 20 points over a 2000 point match, which is only 1%

Dangerfield gets you ten point advantage?

Danger will average approx 100. Probably a dozen players will average within three points of that.

It makes sense to get Danger at 8 if you're NOT having captains! That's the best part of no captains. But when someone's value gets doubled, you can't try to get an advantage for a simple three pt improvement. You HAVE to lock in your captain.

I didn't want to say at 8 and 12 you get a 105 pt mid and a 95 pt fwd. It makes my point too obvious.

The difference between the best fwd and the eighth best is minor. The difference between the best mid and eighth best is enormous - and amplified by the captaincy.

It's not a 2000 pt match in draft leagues. It is a 1600 match. Most weeks will be down to a 20 pt game. If you have that advantage and DON'T win ...

But whatever.

Last edited:
Don't forget, you will also find captain options outside of the first round. Look at Barlow, Kornes, Rockliff, Jack, Stanton Scooter and Griffen as a few examples off the top of my head. All of those players barring Rocky were taken in the 3rd round or later in my draft last year.

Not to mention that managers will some weeks be looking to captain players in form coming up against teams like saints, lions, gws over their standard go to option.

Danger will average approx 100. Probably a dozen players will average within three points of that.

It makes sense to get Danger at 8 if you're NOT having captains! That's the best part of no captains. But when someone's value gets doubled, you can't try to get an advantage for a simple three pt improvement. You HAVE to lock in your captain.

It's not a 2000 pt match in draft leagues. It is a 1600 match. Most weeks will be down to a 20 pt game. If you have that advantage and DON'T win ...

But whatever.

Just as a reference, in a 22 on-field team league last year, most managers were able to consistently score in the 1800-2000 range from week to week, with high 1900s/2000s to even 2100 + sometimes from the better managers :)

I'm willing to swap my position with someone in the first three picks, if they'd like.

I didn't want to say at 8 and 12 you get a 105 pt mid and a 95 pt fwd. It makes my point too obvious.

The difference between the best fwd and the eighth best is minor. The difference between the best mid and eighth best is enormous - and amplified by the captaincy.

But whatever.

Find me a forward you think will average 95. IMO Danger will be over 100
Well last year we had scores over 1900 quite often. Just realised we have 1 less player than our squad did last year but still it doesnt make squat of a difference.

Also without Captains danger is almost a lock for #1. Theres no way he'd slip to 8.

Find me a forward you think will average 95. IMO Danger will be over 100
Well last year we had scores over 1900 quite often. Just realised we have 1 less player than our squad did last year but still it doesnt make squat of a difference.

Also without Captains danger is almost a lock for #1. Theres no way he'd slip to 8.
But I'm hoping 7...

With Captains, Danger should comfortably slip to seven.

He'll average right on 100. Not enough to be your captain - which pains me to say, as I would have loved to pick him. But am I meant to wait til the second round for a captain pick? Six is a shocker spot ...

And forwards who could average 90+ include Martin, Reiwoldt, Cloke, Roughead, Franklin, Cox, Thomas, Wingard, Bennell, Mitchell, Parker, Pavlich ...

Not true at all sorry to say.
I picked Goddard with my first pick in a very similar league last year and won it.

You're correct it has no advantage! You won your league drafting Goddard against duds and in our league drafting Goddard, not so good. While Kristof and myself dominated.

Only some pre-draft ribbing!

Just take note of the Badge on my name, highest ranked DreamTeam scorer!...Now back to work. Tonights draft I expect to do terribly, and subsequently struggle all year. (Have only just started to look into it.) But it should be fun regardless!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes to locked positions:

No to locked positions:
- Allefgib

Its your own vote and all, but do you really wanna see players like Prestia and Toby Greene etc become defenders again this year for no apparent reason?

Last edited:
With Captains, Danger should comfortably slip to seven.

He'll average right on 100. Not enough to be your captain - which pains me to say, as I would have loved to pick him. But am I meant to wait til the second round for a captain pick? Six is a shocker spot ...

And forwards who could average 90+ include Martin, Reiwoldt, Cloke, Roughead, Franklin, Cox, Thomas, Wingard, Bennell, Mitchell, Parker, Pavlich ...

Let's not reveal all our cards here gents :p

Last edited:
You're correct it has no advantage! You won your league drafting Goddard against duds and in our league drafting Goddard, not so good. While Kristof and myself dominated.

Only some pre-draft ribbing!

Just take note of the Badge on my name, highest ranked DreamTeam scorer!...Now back to work. Tonights draft I expect to do terribly, and subsequently struggle all year. (Have only just started to look into it.) But it should be fun regardless!

I'm a gun! but I haven't done my homework, so cut me some slack...

Love it ;)

Its not "no apparent reason". It's because they've lined up in that position for a certain amount of game time (as decided by Champion Data and Ultimate Footy). There wasnt a change last year that I didn't agree with.

Cant copy/paste on phone, bur I vote no captains and no locks.

Its not "no apparent reason". It's because they've lined up in that position for a certain amount of game time (as decided by Champion Data and Ultimate Footy). There wasnt a change last year that I didn't agree with.

Cant copy/paste on phone, bur I vote no captains and no locks.

I agreed with most of the positional changes myself, and most of them were fair. But then they go and give someone like Prestia who was averaging 95 defender eligibility, and all of a sudden a player that was drafted in the 10th + round for example became the 2nd best defender in the league behind Goddard.

Toby Greene was another who off the top of my head I didnt really agree with given DEF eligibility. I cant find the full list of changes anywhere but there were certainly some questionable ones which really tipped the league upside down.

However, it seems as if most coaches are FOR unlocked positions, so as it stands that could be changed. I did warn you guys though. After all this discussion on captains on trying to even up the league, this rule has the potential to send things back the complete opposite way.

Last edited:
These are the results so far. For now, I have removed myself from the voting being commissioner and having set most other things up, I will let you guys decide on this one, leaving an odd number of 9 possible voters. If not all votes are collected, resulting in an even number and a tie, I may put forward my vote so we come to a decision...

Captain Option ( 7 votes)

Yes to captains:
- hdecure
- DangerSloane
- #VAN

No to captains
- Kristof
- Allefgib
- Danoz
- Bacon8

Positional Changes (4 votes)

Yes to locked positions:
-

No to locked positions:
- Allefgib
- Danoz
- Bacon8
- #VAN

This is almost as much fun as the draft!

Everyone gonna be there for the full thing tonight?

This is almost as much fun as the draft!

Everyone gonna be there for the full thing tonight?

I bloody well hope so.

DangerSloane is Walker Texas Danger all set??? Ive noticed Geoffa32 is online UF right now so he should be ready. They both should be on this thread though so they are made aware of possible rule changes...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back