FAQ - Look before you ask

Remove this Banner Ad

Q1. I want to know if ISP X and their plan is any good.

A1. If it is telstra, Optus or Bigpond then no! Otherwise check out the forums at whirlpool.net.au for some really informed discussion and recommendations.

Q2. I've downloaded a bittorrent file, what next?

A2. Get a bittorent client like uTorrent or Azureus and open the file using that. Once the movie/tv show etc is downloaded , if it has a weird file extension like rar or sfv, it will need to decompressed. Download winrar from www.rarlab.com and no, the application doesn't stop working after 40 days.

Q3 I'm having trouble watching a video on the computer.

A3. Download VLC from www.videolan.org/vlc, it plays everything.

Q4 My computer is acting oddly

A4 It could be a virus or spyware issue, see the sticky thread on this page. Otherwise it may be a memory issue, if you have a friend who is good with computers, see him/her.

Q5 What is better, a PC or MAC

A5 PC's are bug-ridden piles of poop that crash almost every half-hour. Mac's wont run any decent software, cost four tiems as much as a PC and are really part of a plot by Steve Jobs to control your mind. Take your pick.

Q6 Can anyone give me an invite to a torrent site? Where are the best AFL torrents found?

1. No.

2. Don't discuss torrents on this site please. As per the site rules - http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_forum_rules:

4. Keep it legal. Discussing illegal activities is not what we want this site to be about. No hacks, torrents, file swapping info or material of that nature. Rumours and scandals should be kept to the appropriate board. Frac: Mid to Serious

Feel free to add any more FAQ's but the moderators reserve the right to remove or edit anything and everything to make this thread useful.

Re: Torrents Advise

Q6 My bittorrent speed is slow, what can I do?

-Allow more connections per torrent - I have mine set around 300 I think, but you could have it much higher than that.

-If you are using public trackers from external sources that are listed from a Demonoid search, then you are going to get slow torrents occasionally. You just have to live with it.

-A good thing to check is the swarm average speed to see if you are around the mark of everyone else.

-Also, choose torrents with a high number of seeders and a lowish number of peers.

-If you aren't using a private tracker, then make sure DHT is enabled.

-Forward ports for both your router and any software firewalls installed on your computer (http://www.portforward.com/)'

-As I've said above, public trackers can be very slow. Have a higher number of torrents running simultaneously so that, although each may be downloading slowly, combined they download using much more of your bandwidth. Just remember with private trackers you usually have to upload as much as you download so having heaps of things downloading at once is not usually a good idea, as it will take an eternity to get your dl/ul ratio back up.

Q6 My bittorrent speed is slow, what can I do?

-Allow more connections per torrent - I have mine set around 300 I think, but you could have it much higher than that.

-If you are using public trackers from external sources that are listed from a Demonoid search, then you are going to get slow torrents occasionally. You just have to live with it.

-A good thing to check is the swarm average speed to see if you are around the mark of everyone else.

-Also, choose torrents with a high number of seeders and a lowish number of peers.

-If you aren't using a private tracker, then make sure DHT is enabled.

-Forward ports for both your router and any software firewalls installed on your computer (http://www.portforward.com/)'

-As I've said above, public trackers can be very slow. Have a higher number of torrents running simultaneously so that, although each may be downloading slowly, combined they download using much more of your bandwidth. Just remember with private trackers you usually have to upload as much as you download so having heaps of things downloading at once is not usually a good idea, as it will take an eternity to get your dl/ul ratio back up.
That port forward wants me to get a static IP adress, is this advisable, I'm a bit of a computer idiot but doesn't it make the computer easier to hack into?

www.portforward.com shows you how to configure a static ip adress but bigpond wants you to pay for it. Or does this http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm show you how to work around that or something?

How do you connect to Ineternet, USB or Ethernet?

You can connect to the internet both ways (my old ADSL modem was connected to my computer using a USB cable). Preferably Ethernet though, especially if you are planning on having the internet for more then one computer (or a network).

EDIT: Wow, didn't realize that the question was asked in May this year. And I didn't read it properly. I connect (now) through Ethernet. :)

I keep getting an error MSFLXGRD.OCX when trying to launch a game does anyone know how i can get rid of it?

Sounds like you have Vista (yuck) on your PC. First UN-REGISTER the control with the REGSVR32 /U option, then re-register, all is fixed. The problem is caused by how InstallShield interacts with Vista, and how it registers items that require DLLRegisterServer.

Sounds like you have Vista (yuck) on your PC. First UN-REGISTER the control with the REGSVR32 /U option, then re-register, all is fixed. The problem is caused by how InstallShield interacts with Vista, and how it registers items that require DLLRegisterServer.

Ok im not really good with computers. What does Un-Register the control with REGSVR32 U/ option mean?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back