FARCICAL - Bob Such takes extended Sick Leave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With SA heading for a hung parliament, Dr Such and fellow independent Geoff Brock are yet to announce whether they will back Labor or the Liberals to form a minority government.
Dr Such is now believed to need to take extended sick leave from parliament although the nature of his health issues has not been disclosed.
He has been out of contact for most of the past week after talking to both Mr Weatherill and Opposition Leader Steven Marshall in the days after the March 15 poll.
"I am concerned for Dr Such's wellbeing and I have extended my best wishes to his wife and offered my support," Mr Weatherill said in a statement on Saturday.
"We wish Mr Such a speedy recovery and support his family's request for privacy."
Labor could govern with just the support of Mr Brock but if he decides to back the Liberals it would leave support for either side in the house tied at 23 votes each. That could potentially result in a fresh election.
However, it remains unclear whether Dr Such could still enter into an agreement with either party to give more certainty.
Mr Brock is reportedly taking constitutional legal advice.

Since when is sick leave farcical?

Is there any chance he can make his decision (which I believe is clear cut), to give Labor power, while on sick leave?

IIRC federally, the Coalition had one member abstain from voting when Plibersek was on maternity leave (during the 43rd parliament). If Such has taken sick leave, it would be the right thing to do the same again.

Let's hope we aren't pushed back to another election. I think Brock will support Labor regardless, so this mess should be resolved without too many issues.

I imagine that an election campaign involves a lot of stress and little sleep...Sounds like conditions conducive to getting sick to me.

As for him making a decision while sick, I imagine he has a few rather important negotiations to engage in first.

How dare he get ill. The bludger.

Comments like this are made by people who think they'll always be young(ish), healthy and always be able to obtain an income.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was the only real solution now Such is in hospital. Otherwise a government in limbo for months.

Fit or unfit he should make his decision (which I think should give Labor another term). If he is unable to do his job, he should retire.

This is not a normal job where you can go AWOL, take sick leave etc. You either do the job or you don't. How hard is it to make a decision, especially when you have had 10 weeks to think about the case of a hung parliament?

This isn't a black and white case IMO. Whilst he clearly is entitled to take sick leave, if it is for a known condition that may also result in extended periods of sick leave through the next term of government then he shouldn't have been standing in the electorate.

And what does Brock do if Such does retire due to ill health? You'll then have the ALP and Libs both on 23 seats. Does he then go 'The ALP and Libs both have 23 seats, but since the Libs had more votes and won the 2PP and now have equal seats I'll support them'? And Paul Howes can fly.

This isn't a black and white case IMO. Whilst he clearly is entitled to take sick leave, if it is for a known condition that may also result in extended periods of sick leave through the next term of government then he shouldn't have been standing in the electorate.

And what does Brock do if Such does retire due to ill health? You'll then have the ALP and Libs both on 23 seats. Does he then go 'The ALP and Libs both have 23 seats, but since the Libs had more votes and won the 2PP and now have equal seats I'll support them'? And Paul Howes can fly.
According to the statement they released, he found out on March 21.

I will take back what I said regarding the cold heart nature of this thread.
The government have said being a " bigot" is fine and your right so play on

I will take back what I said regarding the cold heart nature of this thread.
The government have said being a " bigot" is fine and your right so play on

freedom of speech vs slander, discrimination and foul language

Do we really need more statutes or is common law and existing precedent sufficient?

With SA heading for a hung parliament, Dr Such and fellow independent Geoff Brock are yet to announce whether they will back Labor or the Liberals to form a minority government.
Dr Such is now believed to need to take extended sick leave from parliament although the nature of his health issues has not been disclosed.
He has been out of contact for most of the past week after talking to both Mr Weatherill and Opposition Leader Steven Marshall in the days after the March 15 poll.
"I am concerned for Dr Such's wellbeing and I have extended my best wishes to his wife and offered my support," Mr Weatherill said in a statement on Saturday.
"We wish Mr Such a speedy recovery and support his family's request for privacy."
Labor could govern with just the support of Mr Brock but if he decides to back the Liberals it would leave support for either side in the house tied at 23 votes each. That could potentially result in a fresh election.
However, it remains unclear whether Dr Such could still enter into an agreement with either party to give more certainty.
Mr Brock is reportedly taking constitutional legal advice.
How dare he have time off to deal with a brain tumour :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back