Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Shame to see a bloke retire at age 26 without being riddled by injuries. He got the most out of his limited talent, that's for sure, and has given great service in troubled times, but the sad fact is he probably wouldn't get a gig anywhere else.
Thanks for always giving 110%

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
David Ellard deserves acknowledgement for his determination. It has helped him achieve a standard that many before him and after him will fail to achieve. Another much maligned character because of his real or perceived shortcomings. I'll remember him as one of Carlton's fiercest competitors and tacklers in the engine room. Injuries have played a part in slowing him down over the past couple of seasons but for a few years there you were bloody good Davy. All the best.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Shame to see a bloke retire at age 26 without being riddled by injuries. He got the most out of his limited talent, that's for sure, and has given great service in troubled times, but the sad fact is he probably wouldn't get a gig anywhere else.
Thanks for always giving 110%

Just thought I'd pop this in the right spot... didn't see this thread when I read in another one first

P_Crippy

Club Legend
Jun 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Poor form.
You have mis-interpreted.
I was suggesting that maybe the club advised him he was going to be de-listed but was given notice so he could go on his terms. Not sure why he'd retire if he thought he was any chance to go on with another club.
No dig at DE, I like him.

Can be proud of what you have achieved, set the standard for getting the best out of yourself.

Thanks for giving your all and best of luck for whatever you do next.

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone know if Ellard has ambitions or the footy brain to go down the coaching route? 26 is too young to walk away altogether - shame to see retirement when not seemingly from injury.

passmark

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone know if Ellard has ambitions or the footy brain to go down the coaching route? 26 is too young to walk away altogether - shame to see retirement when not seemingly from injury.

This is his dads bio.

I think he's still coach of Guilford Grammar, who just won the schools comp for the first time in a long time. I suspect he's a bit like his old man.

Highly decorated community footballer Ric Ellard coached the Club to four premierships, playing in three of them. This included a hat trick of wins including an undefeated season. He won three Club Fairest & Bests and two Hills FA Association Fairest & Bests in his 116 games for The Valley. Ric played in two Sunday FL premierships with Kalamunda, winning the competition Fairest & Best the Bowden Medal. He also played in a premiership with Albany Royals, also winning the Gt Southern FL association Fairest & Best. Before returning to The Valley he player coached in premierships with Mundijong Centrals, again winning the Metropolitan FL association Fairest & Best. For the last 5 years he has been coach of Guilford Grammar Schools First XVIII and was an assistant coach with the WA State U16’s football team in the 2007-8 seasons.

Blugazi

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Wouldn't be surprised to see him head down the coaching route.

Good luck, and i'll miss seeing Ellard's paddock in the seniors.

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2015-09-04/ellard-announces-retirement-to-players

Sounds like he's already teed something up outside of footy. Loved what Macca said about him 'getting the best out of themselves'.

Rightly identified him as a good role model for his work ethic and professionalism. Will be missed around the playing group - no doubt made a positive impact on some of the kids coming through in his time here.

Back