Universal Love Farewell David Ellard - announced retirement today

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks Dave. Not the most talented player but someone who always gave it his all. A couple of years ago there was a period where I felt that he did many under the radar things in a number of our important victories.

Will be missed more than people think.
Yeah this.

I always felt that despite his limitations, he was a clutch player, such was his will and desire to compete and did some very nice things in some of our wins whether it be executing a tight kick down the line you wouldn't normally expect him to or kicking an important goal(s).

Always liked him and felt it a shame he hadn't of been blessed with a body more suited to AFL level, but big big kudos to him for achieving what he did.

Good point. Although not sure he could remain at Carlton in such a capacity given he has been a bit player playing with these blokes. What was his voice like at VFL level?

Anyway will have 63 games in 8 seasons. Still a fair bit of longevity in AFL terms and hopefully he has managed to invest some of that money over the years.

Sort of a Luke O'Sullivan career, much loved clubman with limitations. A lot harder to have such a career in this day and age.

Best of luck Davey.

Has anybody heard from guns? He'd be devastated.
I'm fine mate just busy
Ellard when we first recruited him was a bit of an unknown
When the WABlues chose to sponsor him we thought he was a different player all together
But once we met him and saw the type of young man he was we soon warmed to him
EVERYBODY at CFC both players and admin liked Davey. He was just a good down to earth bloke
I never expected him to get a game so to have been around as long as he has and played 63 games I consider a massive success and something he should be proud of. He was no Chris Judd but Chris Judd loved the way he went at it. As did Ratts. Honest hard working and determined.
Being such a young bloke still I think Davey Ellard has the world at his feet. I wish him the best of luck and thank him for his years of efforts. Alas we will never hear bellowed again WABlues own David Ellard by the likes of me. But of all the players we have sponsored I think he has brought the most smiles to our dials!

I wish more guys on the list played with his determination.
He had a booming kick for a small bloke.
His decision making let him down from time to time but he went in hard and kicked some nice goals and didn't take any s**t.
Can't be disappointed with that :)

I would love to take poll of the last 8 years: players who have visited hospitals or done other community activities for CFC
Without a shadow of a doubt Davey Ellard and Dennis armfield would be top of the tree

I met Davey at the Meet The Rookies pie night years ago (why don't they do them again?), and the young recruit made an instant impression. A quality individual who never had the gifts his fellow ex-Swans had, but did whatever it took to compete. He's survived a lot longer than more gifted players have by strength of will alone.

I've got no doubt he'll be a success in whatever he chooses to do. Good luck and my wishes anyway.

I'm fine mate just busy
Ellard when we first recruited him was a bit of an unknown
When the WABlues chose to sponsor him we thought he was a different player all together
But once we met him and saw the type of young man he was we soon warmed to him
EVERYBODY at CFC both players and admin liked Davey. He was just a good down to earth bloke
I never expected him to get a game so to have been around as long as he has and played 63 games I consider a massive success and something he should be proud of. He was no Chris Judd but Chris Judd loved the way he went at it. As did Ratts. Honest hard working and determined.
Being such a young bloke still I think Davey Ellard has the world at his feet. I wish him the best of luck and thank him for his years of efforts. Alas we will never hear bellowed again WABlues own David Ellard by the likes of me. But of all the players we have sponsored I think he has brought the most smiles to our dials!

Hey Guns, he will always be the WA Blues own David Ellard, it doesn't matter that he has retired, the memories will always last hence my username!!

I actually did not realise that he had retired until I just saw this.

Great contributor to the club and one that gave his heart and soul. Sad losing both him and Carrazzo at the same time as these blokes bring so much more than just football ability. Ellard was tough and hard and despite what some may say was a sensational footballer. Hard to make it at the elite level but to play and play more than 50 games is a significant achievement.

Well done David, thanks for your commitment and effort during a difficult time for the club. Thankfully for all of us we have something called the Blueseum and one day buddy when you are old and sitting on your porch whittling wood you can look back with pride at what you did, a feat that so many of us posters on this board would love to have done.

All the best wishes in retirement!

Just watched his final interview after the game. Class act.

Good to see that he is going to be available to the club to help out with anything that they need him for.

Despite what some people on twitter were saying yesterday... the club is about the people in it... the players and the support staff. It isnt just a business no matter what some of these people say and to lose guys like Carrazzo and Ellard who might not be the most talented but give their all for the club are the reason why people get upset when they leave.

So once again, many thanks to David for his time at the club. You have been a great servant for us and always gave your best.

Good luck to the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see that he is going to be available to the club to help out with anything that they need him for.

Despite what some people on twitter were saying yesterday... the club is about the people in it... the players and the support staff. It isnt just a business no matter what some of these people say and to lose guys like Carrazzo and Ellard who might not be the most talented but give their all for the club are the reason why people get upset when they leave.

So once again, many thanks to David for his time at the club. You have been a great servant for us and always gave your best.

Good luck to the future.

Well said Dram!

Good luck to the future.

Just watching it myself atm, We really need more guys at the club like him (and Carrazzo).

Heard from many inside the club that no one worked harder for a game of footy than Ellard.

He can't be disappointed with what he archived.

I wonder if there will be many negatives to losing ellard, judd and carrots leadership and example on the training track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watching it myself atm, We really need more guys at the club like him (and Carrazzo).
We really need to organise an induction day at the club after all the drafts has been done... and get in guys like Carrots, Ellard, and Big Nick to talk about what the club means to them... build a sense of belonging and esprit de corps amongst the new kids.

We have had so many guys come in lately that haven't embraced being Carlton it's not funny anymore.

We really need to organise an induction day at the club after all the drafts has been done... and get in guys like Carrots, Ellard, and Big Nick to talk about what the club means to them... build a sense of belonging and esprit de corps amongst the new kids.

We have had so many guys come in lately that haven't embraced being Carlton it's not funny anymore.
Pie night?

Heard from many inside the club that no one worked harder for a game of footy than Ellard.

He can't be disappointed with what he archived.

I wonder if there will be many negatives to losing ellard, judd and carrots leadership and example on the training track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thankfully Simpson is still around the club. And Cripps of course.

Any player who gives their all for the jumper, regardless of talent, has my respect.

David was far from the best player we've seen pull on the navy blue jumper, but he was never one to shy away from putting in the hard yards to get the best out of himself.

One thing you can say with absolute certainty is that he gave his all each and every time he took the field, and for that he deserves recognition and respect.

A very good person to have around the club. We'll miss others more on the field, but from all reports he made a huge impression off it. A few more naturally gifted team mates could learn a thing or two from that.

Has signed with Greensborough in the Northern League. Will dominate and after a slip up in this year's GF, my money would be on Boro making it 2 flags in 3 years (won 2014)

Interesting. I would have thought he'd have headed back to WA to play in the WAFL.

Interesting. I would have thought he'd have headed back to WA to play in the WAFL.
Are you kidding?

90% of the time when someone leaves WA for the bright lights of Melbourne, they don't come back if they have to.

Plus he has his new business over there so whats the point in giving that up to return to the nanny state!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back