Sal_Paradise

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
76ers, Liverpool
Impossible to wear in winter. Unlike my home coastal WA town, shorts in the freezing winter is a (rightful) stain on any streetscape (like a Starbucks or Subway). In winter, there's a dozen Uniforms. In summer, there's seemingly only one. Is this peak cultural condensing (like how everyone apparently wore flannellys in 1995) or some kind of unifier, like how schools have uniforms so the richer kids can't show off their new Billabong jumper?

Summer in any Australian city is hot as ****. You can almost only wear shorts and t-shirts. So everyone is forced to wear the one single uniform. The only point of differentiation is the sunnies (are yours deadstock vintage bro? How did you import Warby Parkers, I thought they only shipped to the US? My face isn't boxy nor round, do I go round or square?) and shoes (are we still doing Roshes? 574s look bad with jeans, so is this their time to shine? How ****** up should my Old Skools be before I can wear them down High Street?). Aside from that, we are all unified by the white tee and khaki short. I personally like the American Apparel shorts. Good fit.

the khaki/white is a big improvement on pastel shorts and brightly coloured singlets (ugh). do you cuff? i don't cuff my khakis but I do cuff my navys because they're baggier. i think the cuff looks lame on men with jeans (really good on girls tho) but good on shorts mostly. or how bout the t-shirt cuff? i think it's a bit lame. too much cuff is barely enuff for some.

Too much cuff makes you look like your mum forget your size when she went shopping. It makes you look like a tryhard and short (or with weird arms). Never a t-shirt cuff and not a short cuff. Just don't need the short cuff. I never cuff jeans but I'll cuff pants – big fan of the pant cuff; you just have to make sure they're the right kind of fit.

I feel like I'm reading the conversations of a 20 year old Pat Bateman and Craig McDermott.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
what r u sporting in footwear for S/S 14-15?? Silent Alarm
Thinking of some NBs in a cool colour. On the Old Skools at the mo, which I hate wearing with jeans so I get them out when it's warmer. Also considering grabbing Supergas. They'll look good with anything, nice and low key, but they're less common than Vans and come in some nice colours (thinking the dark greens, purples, but I need some black shoes so I'll probably go them).

You?

katana

Club Legend
Jul 12, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Thinking of some NBs in a cool colour. On the Old Skools at the mo, which I hate wearing with jeans so I get them out when it's warmer. Also considering grabbing Supergas. They'll look good with anything, nice and low key, but they're less common than Vans and come in some nice colours (thinking the dark greens, purples, but I need some black shoes so I'll probably go them).

You?
not sure really. i want to get some loafy loafers to loaf around in. but i like those Supergas, sturdy and reliable looking. i dont wanna bite ur style but... i'm kinda sick of black vans and white low tops.

that *in avatar lol, coogan's partridge, from an actor's perspective, is one of the best comic performances that i've seen. all the little intonations, the glances, it's shaded so perfectly.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
not sure really. i want to get some loafy loafers to loaf around in. but i like those Supergas, sturdy and reliable looking. i dont wanna bite ur style but... i'm kinda sick of black vans and white low tops.
I have some loafers and dig the * outta them. The brown ones get dirty pretty early on and thus look really scummy early on. I bought some blues ones and put white laces in them and I'm all about that. As for the Vans, I've never even, and I must be the only white boy in Australia not to, a pair of basic low cut Vans. They're so basic but...

katana

Club Legend
Jul 12, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
I have some loafers and dig the **** outta them. The brown ones get dirty pretty early on and thus look really scummy early on. I bought some blues ones and put white laces in them and I'm all about that. As for the Vans, I've never even, and I must be the only white boy in Australia not to, a pair of basic low cut Vans. They're so basic but...
wow, not sure how you dodged that trend. i've had mine since year 11. i had a pair of camel loafers, but some campaigners timberlands put a nasty red stain in them during jon hopkins at meredith last year. arsehole. so im thinking of something that will stand up to the pressures of the modern rural festival environment.

PeacefulWarrior

Premiership Player
Suspended
Apr 2, 2010
Wynn Vale
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lads there is a new blog which I've just come across and its one of the better ones around. It combines fashion and gear etc for the athlete and fitness enthusiast. There is some people here who may benefit :p
www.thestylishmale.com

katana

Club Legend
Jul 12, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
personally I don't mind the boots/shorts look. wouldn't rock it myself but it goes ok. plus u can keep them for winter. or else just get some chill loafers beige or navy maybe depending on ur complexion and what shorts u wear. I think it looks good when the shorts and shoes are matching colours or shades. right now Ive got camel shoes and camel shorts on... whatever

I went shoe shopping two weeks ago and it was the most painful thing. retail people are the absolute worst... so good luck it's a jungle out there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I went shoe shopping two weeks ago and it was the most painful thing. retail people are the absolute worst... so good luck it's a jungle out there
You'd have to be pretty dumb or with some inverse-Tibetan Monk like mental removal to work in retail. "Oh hey crew! Yeah sick, what size man? Love your shirt too!"

As for shoes in summer, surely just sneakers? Not Roshes, actual sneakers – as in like trainers, whatever.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
You'd have to be pretty dumb or with some inverse-Tibetan Monk like mental removal to work in retail. "Oh hey crew! Yeah sick, what size man? Love your shirt too!"

As for shoes in summer, surely just sneakers? Not Roshes, actual sneakers – as in like trainers, whatever.
Yeah was thinking of grabbing a pair of trainers to wear with those socks you can't see.

Everyone has Roshes so I'll steer clear.

As for retailers, yeah they're hopeless. It's a genuinely good feeling when you actually get someone who cares about helping you and isn't just intent on making you buy something.

A couple of times in the past I've been sucked in by them only to go home and realise what I bought was an utter waste. They're sure to be gone soon. People can shop online and basically get the same level of service.

Still nothing better than going for a shop though and discovering things in person.

checkraiseulite

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don't see how NB are any different to roshes. Everyone has them.

Other decent options include common projects (on sale obv) , Jack Purcells and Adidas OG gazelles.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't see how NB are any different to roshes. Everyone has them.

Other decent options include common projects (on sale obv) , Jack Purcells and Adidas OG gazelles.
Gazelles are pretty good, for about three years I'd have about three on rotation. But I just think they can look a bit naff with jeans because they're so thin to the foot. Hugely comfortable though, and they do look really good after they've been kicked around.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyone know where to get Converse One Stars? Goin full Cobain.

They were everywhere and now they're almost impossible to track down. They don't make them anywhere.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I need a summer shoe that would suit a 30ish male. Preferably something that can be worn without socks.

Sandals and thongs are naff, and I don't really want to join the Sperry Topsider crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back