Society/Culture Fat City - What can stop obesity?

Remove this Banner Ad

I just googled 'McDonalds Heart Foundation' to see what the tick approved meals are. Most of them look OK (apples and water rather than Coke and fries) but chicken nuggets, sugar buns? Really?

I've noticed a few 'our burgers are 100% Aussie beef' type ads around lately to counter criticism of what their 'beef' patties actually are. It's good to know they're not made of entrails and sawdust and whatnot but if you're going to go to the effort of using '100% Aussie beef' then wouldn't alarm bells be going off that people are suspicious about what you're actually selling them?

That ad really irks me.

They claim that they don't use heads, hoofs or tail.

That kinda leaves the rest of the animal, offal etc. I doubt that too much eye fillet ends up in a Big Mac.

And how much extender is used? How much bleach is in the extender etc.

It's disingenuous crap for the mouthbreathers.

Spot on (as usual) cartwright.

It's criminal the misinformation that is given by government funded health organisations. Even "worksafe" last year gave me a pamphlet of negligent information about diet (after they told me to keep doing whatever it is that i'm doing after getting all my test results).

Anyone who is still buying government dietry guidelines, i urge you to watch docos like cereal killers and start doing your own research - for your own sake really. :)

I agree. the vast majority trust our government / institutions to give accurate information.
I was recently at the dentist for a routine check up and noticed they had the food pyramid on the wall. I mumbled, pointing "thats wrong!" and the dentist laughed and said "yeah this is what they send out. I should take it down".

She is seeing more and more young children with cavities. Something is wrong!

I just googled 'McDonalds Heart Foundation' to see what the tick approved meals are. Most of them look OK (apples and water rather than Coke and fries) but chicken nuggets, sugar buns? Really?

I've noticed a few 'our burgers are 100% Aussie beef' type ads around lately to counter criticism of what their 'beef' patties actually are. It's good to know they're not made of entrails and sawdust and whatnot but if you're going to go to the effort of using '100% Aussie beef' then wouldn't alarm bells be going off that people are suspicious about what you're actually selling them?

The heart foundation associating with fast food is just wrong. If people are going to go into say McDonalds with the intention of getting a heart approved meal (lol).... I'd love to know what their final purchase might be.

The heart foundation associating with fast food is just wrong. If people are going to go into say McDonalds with the intention of getting a heart approved meal (lol).... I'd love to know what their final purchase might be.

'Yeah I'll just have the healthy Heart Foundation approved salad option thanks.'
'Certainly, regular or large?'
'Large'
'And with water and an apple or Coke and fries?'
'Coke and fries. Oh and can I have a soft serve cone too. I'm allowed to be naughty, I'm having a salad'

I jest, but I reckon if you creepily stood watching people order at McDonalds for long enough you would hear a conversation along those lines.

On the rare occasion I go to McDonalds I either get a chicken wrap meal (because it's tasty, not because it looks healthier than anything else on offer - which it isn't) or a burger with bacon, cheese and other constricted artery inducing stuff. Diet Coke? Eff that. Not kidding anyone. Apples? Not unless they're in the form of a pie which looks like a sausage roll. Embrace it for what it is people! Let it be your guilty pleasure and not your Heart Foundation approved staple.:D

Food pyramid from nutrtionaustralia.org, FYI:

Heathly%20Living%20Pyramid.jpg

Doesn't actually include sugar, junk food, soft drink at all. Not even in a 'naughty naughty no eaty this' box to the side. Bizarre.

Food pyramid from nutrtionaustralia.org, FYI:

Heathly%20Living%20Pyramid.jpg

Doesn't actually include sugar, junk food, soft drink at all. Not even in a 'naughty naughty no eaty this' box to the side. Bizarre.

Sponsored by Australian Wheat farmers.

^ the amount of people I know that have become "gluten intolerant" is quite high.

Probably people not drinking enough tap water.

She thought it had more to do with sugar. For those who need to avoid fluoride (wreaks havoc on the thyroid) having it pumped into drinking water is a little annoying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The McDonalds marketing dept needs to go out and have proper beef burgers for lunch during their next corporate brainstorming session.
ROFL.
As if they know what a burger is......
Only the "managers and assistants" meeting in the "restaurant...rofl...sorry" eat the s**t they cook.
KFC opened an outlet close to my place of work (800-1000m)and most of our staff are seriously thinking of going for compensation for the stink from the fat.

^ the amount of people I know that have become "gluten intolerant" is quite high.
If they're not coeliac, they may well have a problem with FODMAPs
Often foods containing gluten also contain FODMAPs so when people restrict gluten they feel better but it is not actually the gluten.
Gluten free diets are expensive and difficult
This is a handy link
http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

I understand that if you go to a naturopath you are almost 100% guaranteed of being diagnosed as gluten intolerant. naturopaths have an amazing supernatural ability to diagnose gluten intolerance without any recognised diagnostic tests. Or is it quackery?
To find out if you actually do have coeliac disease, go to your GP and ask for coeliac serology you can then be referred to a gastroenterologist for a biopsy to confirm the disease.

The need to feel special is a powerful force.

An easy way to test if you have Coeliac disease is to eat some bread and then see if you get violently ill. If you don't then you're just a hypochondriac.

If they're not coeliac, they may well have a problem with FODMAPs
Often foods containing gluten also contain FODMAPs so when people restrict gluten they feel better but it is not actually the gluten.
Gluten free diets are expensive and difficult
This is a handy link
http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

I understand that if you go to a naturopath you are almost 100% guaranteed of being diagnosed as gluten intolerant. naturopaths have an amazing supernatural ability to diagnose gluten intolerance without any recognised diagnostic tests. Or is it quackery?
To find out if you actually do have coeliac disease, go to your GP and ask for coeliac serology you can then be referred to a gastroenterologist for a biopsy to confirm the disease.

Thanks will look into this.

Ive been to quite a few naturopaths and never had gluten intolerance diagnosis, actually.

I would encourage those who think they are GI to rule out Coeliac as a possibility.

An easy way to test if you have Coeliac disease is to eat some bread and then see if you get violently ill. If you don't then you're just a hypochondriac.

I see what Jab might have been referring to. It has nothing to do with feeling special or being a hypochondriac. I don't know any guys who would gladly give up bread/pasta just to feel "special". They're just basically sick of having their bowels dictate their life.

Add lactose intolerance and nut allergies to the list.

Are there any kids left who aren't one or all of gluten intolerant, lactose intolerant, allergic to nuts and/or ADD/ADHD?

I guess if you're none of the above you can claim depression and med yourself up.

Add lactose intolerance and nut allergies to the list.

Are there any kids left who aren't one or all of gluten intolerant, lactose intolerant, allergic to nuts and/or ADD/ADHD?

I guess if you're none of the above you can claim depression and med yourself up.

The difference is that nut allergies actually exist and can be fatal.

In the case of people who don't eat gluten, they are just imagining it (unless they have coeliac disease, but that's less than 0.5% of the population).

In the case of people who don't eat gluten, they are just imagining it (unless they have coeliac disease, but that's less than 0.5% of the population).

So you clearly have zero idea of gluten intolerance. Your ignorance is astounding, and quite frankly your posts are pure garbage and should be ignored.

I await thirty years in the future when gluten is championed as a super food and a new fad nutrient is demonised

Plenty of things exist. Plenty of things can be fatal. Overdiagnosis is the problem.

When I was a kid in a class of 25 or so there might be one kid with ADD, one with really bad asthma/exzema and another with some kind of food allergy. These days I reckon at least half the kids would be diagnosed with some kind of condition or ailment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back